New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC observations and comments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back to the Sheraton Hotel after a long last day at DSC. I am a member and this year I arrived early and as a member volunteered assistance with both exhibitor moving in and out, which was tonight.
Met President Scott Toberman and his wife Debbie, met both Corey Mason and Karl Evans and enjoyed some good conversations, and met various DCS members all on duty for this great show. Without exception I was warmly welcomed and thanked by everyone. I must say DSC takes exceptional care of their volunteers. You are more than just a club member. In reality you are embraced as family. I never felt out of place.
Debbie Toberman is one hard working lady. I never saw her not doing duty for DSC. Corey Mason seemed constantly on duty but like Scott Toberman was there with the team lending a shoulder during move in and move out.
I met the AR guys who made the meeting in the AR room where Corey gave a short and complimentary address and emphasised that DSC was open to feedback and suggestions anytime.
During move in / out a handful of exhibitors told me of all shows they attend DSC by far does the best job of move in / out. Similarly, some exhibitors told me if they did only one show, DSC would be it.
Yes, I believe many exhibitors achieved happy results at this show. A couple of Zim outfitters basically sold all 2020's quota. Many exhibitors had really busy booths, especially Friday and Saturday.
I spent floor time with a good friend Larry. I caught up with another good friend JTEX and shared some great conversation and laughs. I achieved good coverage of outfitters and agentsxI wanted to speak to about hunts for 2021 and '22.
On reflectionI am very pleased I came this year. It truly was a great show. In fact the best hunting show I have ever attended. All kudos to DSC for making it happen in such fine style.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
George,
I was in Pappas Steakhouse most of Saturday evening...first sitting at table by piano in the bar...then at a table with friends. What night were you there?

Thursday night.Did not stay long.I had a Ribeye steak with a baked potato and salad.I enjoyed the dinner.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blake is hunting with Adam Clements now.
I booked hunt with him for 2021

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING SHOW, OUTSTANDING DSC STAFF, we had a wonderful time and I echo the sentiments here. The only issue I had and remains, the hotel issue and this was voiced by literally dozens of folks. The Omni should be for the members and others who come to SPEND MONEY.

The vendors will come regardless. We participate in most all events (banquets, etc) and the buses were not operating at all times and if the weather was bad (and it was) it was difficult to get from other hotels to the Omni and back because the entrances were clobbered with vehicles, Uber drivers, buses, etc. I must have spent close to a hundred bucks on transportation. Bottom line we LOVE going to DSC

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I am a member and this year I arrived early and as a member volunteered assistance with both exhibitor moving in and out, which was tonight.
Met President Scott Toberman and his wife Debbie, met both Corey Mason and Karl Evans and enjoyed some good conversations, and met various DCS members all on duty for this great show. Without exception I was warmly welcomed and thanked by everyone. I must say DSC takes exceptional care of their volunteers. You are more than just a club member. In reality you are embraced as family. I never felt out of place

You definitely won the prize for volunteer that traveled the furthest to work their butt off for free! Sorry I missed you during move out. See you next year?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
I am a member and this year I arrived early and as a member volunteered assistance with both exhibitor moving in and out, which was tonight.
Met President Scott Toberman and his wife Debbie, met both Corey Mason and Karl Evans and enjoyed some good conversations, and met various DCS members all on duty for this great show. Without exception I was warmly welcomed and thanked by everyone. I must say DSC takes exceptional care of their volunteers. You are more than just a club member. In reality you are embraced as family. I never felt out of place

You definitely won the prize for volunteer that traveled the furthest to work their butt off for free! Sorry I missed you during move out. See you next year?

Cheap labor, delivering unrivaled service, done honestly straight from the sole!

Beats all the union supplied "help" working at SCI, where one is fleeced for every penny he has ever earn!

Well done DSC.

Management and members who volunteered deserve a big THANK YOU! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Cheap labor, delivering unrivaled service, done honestly straight from the sole!

Beats all the union supplied "help" working at SCI, where one is fleeced for every penny he has ever earn!

Well done DSC.

Management and members who volunteered deserve a big THANK YOU! clap

Yes sir, they do. And a couple of days off. Unless one has done it, one can’t imagine the number of hours it takes to do this show. Thank you Saeed for this venue and to all of the AR members who came to our show.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Grant, 30.06king was great to meet you. I do believe you get the award for traveling the farthest, New Zealand AR member.
It was a pleasure to meet you and for you to see first hand which I have seen and enjoyed for the past 15 years in attendance to the DSC Convention. The friendship and camaraderie. When there I feel like I am home.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a great show this year. It was great to see all the friends I only get to see there.

Really enjoyed dinner with my crotchety old buddy hogbreath, man it was great to get to spend time with that nasty old Bastard!!!

Visiting with Doc Lane is great, I really wish we got to visit more.

30\06 king is one of the greatest fellows on the planet, I'm proud to call him my friend and I vote that we make him an honorary Texan.

I agree with Doc! It's damned near communist not to have Line Star beer.

Move in and move out was the best it's ever been, quickest and easiest ever! Good job!

My heartfelt thanks to all the hard working volunteers that make this show happen.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although there were a lot of people there, unless it was my imagination, outfitter booths and gun booths did not seem busy.I think I saw only one person being measured or fitted for a rifle and I hung out most of the time in that area.I had seen many more last year.The same for hunting trip details being worked out.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a great show as we sold out. The volunteers are always pleasant no matter the pressure. As a booth holder it is nice when one comes by to check and ssd if you need anything. In and out was the best for us this year.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, loved your booth and talking to you as well. Your work is the ne plus ultra. Look forward to your show this year.

Had a great time at DSC. Took 3 friends this year who now have the bug for buff hunting after talking to several PH's. These guys were elk hunters and knew nothing of African hunting except through me. Surprised me that they were bitten by the bug but this is a good thing to keep our sport alive.

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Excellent show!

Anyone get the lowdown on why Jumbo Moore and his group were not there? They were in the program and not there.

PS - the food was crap as provided by the concessionaires and the PA announcements were off the scale annoying.

PSS - please get the jewelery peddlers and fur coat booths out of there, waste of space and other outfitters could come.

PSSS- why not use the entire area of the convention area? Could get 100 more booths in.

Spot on.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1403 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I attended Thursday to Saturday, almost stayed for Sunday, however I needed to get home.

Visited a few booths.

Renewed 4 magazines subscriptions.
Purchased 5 books.
Purchased pants from KUIU

Looked at Rifles and narrowed my selection down to 2 makers.
Visited the scope makers and obtained some great information on new products. I have since ordered one online from one of the business that was at DSC. Discount was still applicable.

Looks like I have two campaign folding chairs ordered for next year from Collett Wildlife taxidermy. I had to have the wife look the products over and let me know what one(s) she wanted.

Visited with Tuffpak ~ Harry concerning Dean Stobbs and Touch Africa Safaris.
Stopped at the NRA booth to check on upgrading my membership.
Visited with Jaco with Kwalata safaris out of Mozambique
Visited with Buzz about hearing aids as I have Both the over the ear and in the ear kind. Provided what I thought were some good questions to ask and what to look out for.

Visited with some New Zealand outfitters about something down the road.
Visited with Touch Africa about either a hippo/croc or non trophy elephant for 2023. I will be having some family go with me and I needed to make sure that they will have a great time.

Received invites to come over to South Africa ~ Namibia and Zimbabwe to visit, looking at if I will be able to do two of the three in September or October. As they are winding down their operation.

Only down side I seen was the walking paths were narrow.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to an American show since 2001ish and that was the sheep show.

A friend of mine showed me his "booth babe" photo collection, they certainly didn't do that in Europe at Jagd and Hund.

I live half way between Dallas and Reno, it would have been nice to hit a show this year, but I am moving again and the need versus want isn't there.

Might do one in 2021.

Is SCI bigger or better than DSC?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly bigger. Better is a matter of opinion .

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that traditionally SCI is quite a bit bigger, but since going back to Reno they have shrunk a bit.

SCI is more expensive.

The crowd at SCI is different than DSC.

Dallas is a volunteer run show, SCI is a professionally produced convention. That has its own set of pluses and minuses.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago SCI was wayyyyyy bigger than Dallas. These days I don't think there is much different in size. I know more and more PH's and hunting outfitters that no longer go to SCI.

I enjoy both show, but I'm glad sCI is going back to Las Vegas.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote