New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOW SHE'S DONE IT!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After years of following my lead and accompanying me on numerous life adventures, my wife, Susan, has badgered me into buying a double rifle. I have resisted this assult for years and until SCI this year she had not been able to convince me of the need for such an antiquated weapon. At the SCI expo this year she looked for three days at all the new and used double rifles offered there. After meeting Butch Searcy and seeing his new double design, she incisted I buy one. I did resist, you can ask Butch. I really did, however, after she wanted one in 450-400, 3" she really got after me and made me order one with an extra set of barrels in 375 Flanged Magnum. I finally conceided because I was afraid she would want an additional barrel in 300 Flanged Magnum and I could not sanction that. So there you have it. To keep peace in the house I had to order the rifle with the two barrels as well as organising an Elephant safari with Peter Chipman in Zambia in 2007. Boy, what a guy has to do to keep peace in the family!!!!! Wish me luck. By the way she is on her own safari in 2007 with Peter for buff and assorted plains game. I think she will be the death of me yet.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The Classic is a very fine looking rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! cheers

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You suffer so jumping

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
LB404, you are my new hero!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
lb404,

Does your wife have a sister?

Naw, I couldn't be more happy with my fiance. She's is ready for me to head back over and get a kudu for the living room. Maybe your wife and my fiance are related because she is from OKC! It isn't that far across town.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
lb404- I too admired Butch's doubles at the SCI expo, but, alas, my wife does not share your wonderful wife's enthusiasm. Can you have your Susan call my wife? Or as an alternative, does she have any sisters? Wink

Congratulations on your purchase and your future hunt. When do you expect your rifle from Butch? Thanks. Brian

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 126 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IB404

Congratulations. I'm glad you finally found the one that turned your crank. You've been looking a long time.

Are you getting the 375 Scoped? There is nothing wrong with a 300 for smaller game. DR's are not just for Africa.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!

I came home with no hunts booked, and my wife sportin' a new coat made out of an inordinate amount of small furry critters. bewildered

Regards

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I have a wonderful supporting wife, but yours get the the medal. If I were you I'll buy her double.

Congratulations, enjoy clap

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So maybe a set of 300 Flanged Mag tubes also????
I was going to have Butch make all the barrel sets with the provision for scope sights. My eyes aren't what they used to be!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellow Okie,
First of all, you are the only Okie I know that has a double that does not shoot rock salt or buckshot.
Second, does your wife have a like-minded sister that is available?

Way to go!!!!

Posts: 10361 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear of your problems, some ladies are just to much trouble. I will offer what help I can , send her to me I will provide a good home for her. If she knows how to clean fish I will pay for shipping.

Good luck with the new rifle.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
After years of following my lead and accompanying me on numerous life adventures, my wife, Susan, has badgered me into buying a double rifle.

You poor baby! You're wife insisting on you buying another firearm, and a DR no less!

MAN, wish I had THAT problem!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Man they sure dont make em like that everyday.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we haven't purchased a double yet, I too have an awesome wife. We purchased a 7mm-08 Model 70 Compact for our 8 month old daughter the other day. She thought it was a good idea, she said I should hunt buffalo at least once with the rifle I have before trying to get a double(she's right, but I'd still like to have one for the second buff hunt). Her attitude is that if the bills are paid and you're willing to work for it, you should get it. This is my second marriage and boy did I get lucky with this one. The only thing she wants to do soon is go on a whitetail hunt. I offered up Namibia, she said she'd rather shoot a big buck. I am definitely a lucky man.....

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
You poor man................ you probably won't survive.

Congratulations - enjoy every minute of it.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I am sorry to hear of your problems, some ladies are just to much trouble. I will offer what help I can , send her to me I will provide a good home for her. If she knows how to clean fish I will pay for shipping.

Good luck with the new rifle.

Done deal! Post address and I will affix shipping lable to hind end and express mail her to you. I got what I want. She even cleans fish and has a boat. Picture of boat to follow. jumping

JD

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does your wife provide counseling to non-hunter wives? My wife gave me SCI Reno for a b-day present, but if I'd come home with an order for a DR I would have owed her big time!

Seriously, I gave Searcy, Merkel, Champuis and a couple of others a serious look. I was blown away by how the Searcy "came to shoulder." If just flat fit, and that from a gun that wasn't even spec'd to my dimensions (as it would be).
The work on the Searcy PH was fabulous and if I could pick a DR company to buy from--it would be
a Searcy, no doubt.

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
WOW!

I came home with no hunts booked, and my wife sportin' a new coat made out of an inordinate amount of small furry critters. bewildered

Regards

Elmo

You must have turned down the wrong aisle Big Grin
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Man, my ex-wife hated me for buying a $600 aluminum boat!

I think you've got a keeper there!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If she'll be the death of you then you've got it good, there are much worse ways to die. Mine has asked me if I want to ahev a party next month for my birthday, that's something at least. Smiler

Congratulations, you are a very very lucky man.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote