New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard scope question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like my Zim leopard trip for this year is not going to happen til next April. I was planning on using camp rifle this year, but will take one of my own next spring. Probably my 300 Win Mag with 200gr Accubonds. Possibly my 338 WM with 200gr Accubonds.

Hunting Bubble Valley.

My PH is recommending a scope with a 50mm obj and illuminated reticle. I don't currently own a 50mm scope. I plan on following his recommendation so anything smaller is off the table.

For people who have been there and done it, do you think a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 would be a good option? Thinking I could find a use for this scope after the hunt on an AR or Long Range rig.

Other scopes I've been looking at are the Z6i 2-12x50 with illuminated 4A or the Schmit&Bender Polar 2.5-10x50 with D7 reticle. Not real interested in a Leupold at this time.

Advice and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That scope is an excellent choice. I have one on my Tikka T3 in 308Win, which is my precision and longer range rig.

I hunted a property where for 10 years nobody could manage to shoot a hyena of bait. We put up bait, placed the blind 86 yards away from an open spot where I thought the hyenas would stop and look at the bait. The bait was barely visible to me and not to my wife.

She shot a big female hyena with an amputated rear foot with that rig with moonlight only at 86 yards.

Just the other day my 10 shot Satterlee ladder for a new load was 3" at 330yards with that optic.

Posts: 406 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Balule. I've never hunted at night so real world experience is very helpful!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either of your scopes will work wonderfully.

The Nightforce is known for strength and reliability, not great glass.

I've probably shot more leopards than most, and have been happy with Swarovski, although I may try a Leica next time. I've never felt like I needed more than a 42mm objective but more can't hurt.

I've broken too many Leupolds to recommend them to anyone.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ongwe. I'd prefer to stay with 42m obj as well, but think it best to follow the advice of my PH.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I bought a Trijicon Accupower 2.5-10x56 with a green reticle specifically for limited visibility shooting. I am very happy with it. To get better low visibility optics I would need a night vision scope.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300SAKO

Your choice is fine but any quality scope from Leupold upward will work just fine. I also agree with the others that 50 mm is unnecessary.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shot both of my leopard with a Leupold VXi 4.5-14X50mm on my 375 H&H, both taken with PH John Hunt. I subsequently replaced that scope with a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10X42 30mm. Plenty big and plenty bright for night hunting, and it took a number of night critters in the BVC, while hunting with PH Shaun Buffee, including African Wildcat and Hyena (on the run). As an aside, I shot my biggest hyena, with PH Charl van Rooyen, during a full moon with my 325WSM using a Swarovski Z3 4.5-14 40mm. It was almost like daylight and that scope gave me all of the brightness that I needed without the aid of any artificial light. One shot. After my experiences, I'm not sure that I would use or recommend a 50mm. Big, extra heavy, and, in my opinion, unnecessary, as a smaller scope will do just fine. You're likely either going to shoot the leopard during daylight or at night with the assistance of a torch (spotlight/flashlight) and the Swarovski that I replaced my Leupold with would be more than enough, in my opinion. I agree with Ongwe and Mark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm with you guys on the smaller objective. I have a few 2.5-10x42 NXS's and like them. Have the 2.5-10 NXS on my 300WM currently.

Not sure I want to show up with smaller scope since PH specifically recommended 50mm. Kind of like showing up with a different bullet than PH recommends. Most likely works, but if things go bad then you get to here about how things would have worked out if you had just listened to meSmiler

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300SAKO:
Thanks Balule. I've never hunted at night so real world experience is very helpful!

This means the cat will be illuminated by light so any good quality scope designed for larger calibres will do fine. Note you will be shooting at approx 50 yards. There are some good recommendations here.

Book the hunt during a full moon to happen towards the end of your safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5-10X56 Trijicon that Safarikid has posted in the classifieds is about the perfect cat scope.

Sharp, clear, illuminated with no batteries, plenty of light transmission, and tough.

That is the scope that I have used for cats, and I now have two because my wife stole my first one. Excellent scope.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like my Zim leopard trip for this year is not going to happen til next April. I was planning on using camp rifle this year, but will take one of my own next spring. Probably my 300 Win Mag with 200gr Accubonds. Possibly my 338 WM with 200gr Accubonds.

Hunting Bubble Valley.

My PH is recommending a scope with a 50mm obj and illuminated reticle. I don't currently own a 50mm scope. I plan on following his recommendation so anything smaller is off the table.

For people who have been there and done it, do you think a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 would be a good option? Thinking I could find a use for this scope after the hunt on an AR or Long Range rig.

Other scopes I've been looking at are the Z6i 2-12x50 with illuminated 4A or the Schmit&Bender Polar 2.5-10x50 with D7 reticle. Not real interested in a Leupold at this time.

Thanks

As the others said, any of those scope would be great

Who are you hunting with in Bubi?

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the feedback. Better than talking about COVID for days on end.

Alfredo C: Hunting with John Sharp. Auto correct error in first post. Bubye Valley. Hunted with him in 2018 for buff. Had an awesome time.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all for the feedback. Better than talking about COVID for days on end.

Alfredo C: Hunting with John Sharp. Auto correct error in first post. Bubye Valley. Hunted with him in 2018 for buff. Had an awesome time.

Good stuff great PH and bushman.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alfredo C: Who are you hunting with when we finally get over there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Good stuff great PH and bushman.[/QUOTE]

Agree 110% Andrew!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alfredo C: Who are you hunting with when we finally get over there?

That’s awesome John Sharp!! I would love to hunt with him one day

I am going with Nengasha Safari’s up in Bubi

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet all three in your first post would be great. I am a Leica fanboy but they are hard to find sometimes and change models often. John Sharp has a great reputation, with a long list of happy clients. I think he comes on AR once and a while and is most likely bored to death during this lockdown, ask him to join the discussion and see what he thinks of other's remark's on the objective size. Swaro, NF, and SB, or a Leica should be more than enough to do the job. Good luck and report back.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon...absolutely the best way to go for cats, IMO of course!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
I would bet all three in your first post would be great. I am a Leica fanboy but they are hard to find sometimes and change models often. John Sharp has a great reputation, with a long list of happy clients. I think he comes on AR once and a while and is most likely bored to death during this lockdown, ask him to join the discussion and see what he thinks of other's remark's on the objective size. Swaro, NF, and SB, or a Leica should be more than enough to do the job. Good luck and report back.

He uses a Leupold with 50mm obj. He wants me to use a scope with illuminated reticle and a 50mm obj. We've discussed equipment at some length. I don't think he cares much about brand as long as a good quality scope.

What I do know is that I'm going to follow his adviceSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great idea to get a 50 if that's what he wants!! What are John's opinion on bullet's and caliber? I am thinking of taking a 338 WM if I bring two guns, or just a 375 H&H for a one gun safari.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 50 on both of my .375 H&H's. That's what I used.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your shot should be relatively close . High magnification is not required.

The illuminated reticle is a game changer . Wouldn’t hunt another without one.

I have shot a lot of leopards. Most were shot with Swarovski equipment. In years past,I shot a couple with Leopold scopes. The Swarovski has far better glass.

I am personally not a fan of the Night Force. Too heavy and the glass is not in the same class as the Swarovski.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
Sounds like a great idea to get a 50 if that's what he wants!! What are John's opinion on bullet's and caliber? I am thinking of taking a 338 WM if I bring two guns, or just a 375 H&H for a one gun safari.

He suggested something in the 7mm Mag to 300WM range. When I asked about 338WM he said more than you need but most importantly bring a gun and loads you are comfortable with. He is a big A Frame fan, especially for buff but he didn't give me a specific bullet he preferred for Leopard. I don't think he feels bullet as critical on Leopard. I tend to obsess about the perfect bullet/cartridge/scope combo but at the same time realize there are many ways to skin a cat, so to speak.Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry. I've been looking at the Swaro scopes and they check all the boxes. Want something with enough tube length to mount on a long action and enough eye relief to keep the scope off my eyebrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From experience, the only objection I had to he Z6i 2-12 was the really large eyepiece required it to be mounted very high. I changed to a Zeiss Victory HT to get a lower mount and better check weld.

With respect to zoom ratio, objective size, etc - an exit pupil any larger than your normally dilated eye "waste" light. On some of the newer high zoom ratio scopes scopes the optimum power setting for night use may be mid range. I would suggest whatever scope you select, a recognition target (Light background with parallel dark lines of different widths.), to an area with no artificial light, allowing time for you eyes to totally night acclimate, and with the scope securely restrained play with power settings to make sure of the best power setting for low light conditions with your eyes. With some scopes it can be surprising.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Z6i 1X6. As Larry said, a lot of magnification isn't needed. The illuminated might give you a few more minutes, but I've had to pass shots even with the illuminated due to lack of light. Frankly, I've never used the illuminated reticle on a leopard. I've only shot two and both were in the morning (and on the ground under the tree).

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've only shot one leopard. I had absolutely no problem shooting it with a 168 grain TTSX bullet from my .300 Weatherby under a Leupold VX 3 4.5-14x40 scope with their B&C reticle. I had the power set at 4.5.

We had built the blind 50 yards from the bait, and I had zeroed my rifle to hit dead on at 50 yards. My PH had a green flashlight which didn't spook the leopard, and when the leopard came in my PH turned on the light, verified the cat was the Tom that had been coming to the bait, he gave me the OK, and I didn't have any problem seeing my target and making my shot.

I also used that same rifle and scope on night hunts for African Civet and Caracal without any problems.

I would not want to use a camp rifle on a $20,000 plus leopard hunt.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about the objective diameter too much. I have used a 20mm objective with no problems.

The quality of the glass and the illuminated reticle are the keys.

I like the S&B Stratos these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have spent a lot of nights in German high seat waiting for wildboars to come out.

3-12x56 or 2-10x56 from Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski or Schmidt Bender.

I would imagine that this is a $20-30,000 plus hunt. A $2000 scope is cheap insurance.

If this hunt is a major extravagance to you, I'd sell some unused guns or whatever to buy it.

Leupold sucks, they don't make a scope for this hunt.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Leupold VX R 3x9x50 with illuminated reticle would do a good job on a Leopard hunt with a price point that is affordable at $600.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps in a perfect world I'd have a special scope for leopard but it's just not practical. You'll also be using that same scope for PG and frankly, a heavy bigass scope on a rifle affects weight and balance. Because I have poor eyesight I've used Swarovski. Great glass. I was surprised at how much the illuminated reticle helps - even in broad daylight. For whatever reason I'm more accurate with it. Certainly great for leopard. Beginners will often bring too much scope. Frankly, a large bulky 3x14 is just a pain in the arse and adds little. A scope that works for PG is just fine for leopard.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hunting Bubble Valley.

Thanks

I used a Trijicon 2.5 - 10X 56mm. It was perfect with the gold triangle site.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one leopard. Used a 30-06 with 180 gn A-Frame. Dead under the tree. You don't need a .338 or .375. It really is where the shot goes; not how big the bullet.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z6i 1.7—10 X 42 for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Great scope. What were the light conditions and how did you feel it worked?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot mine with the Swarovski 1.7-10 as well. I still use them, and if I was hunting leopard again, it would be the same scope, even though there are newer ones out now.

One was pretty much full daylight, the other was late in the day, but still had some shooting time left. Both in Tanzania.

I would have no issues with any of the scopes you mentioned. All have good glass. My biggest point on NF is they are heavy, and they are made more for reliability in adjustments... their glass isn't quite what the top European ones are, but its better than Leupold or Meopta, IME. The other thing is that NF tends to have the busy LR rangefinding reticles, which really are not useful in most hunting situations (I'd say all, except someone probably has mil ranged a critter and shot it...)

One thing to remember is that if you are hunting private land in Zim, you are allowed to shoot at night with a light. That means that you might well not have a natural light source and you will want all the light gathering power you can get. Yes, the shot will be close.

I would also suspect that if you asked the PH and specified the swaro 1.7-10x42, he would say that is good. The point being the better glass, the better transmission.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Was initially thinking of putting this exact scope on my 338 for this hunt. Then I thought I might as well just take my 300WM that already has an NXS 2.5-10x42 with the IHR illuminated reticle. Then my PH said he would recommend a 50mm obj.

I then started re thinking my options. Thought maybe the 50mm NXS would be ok for this hunt then I would just switch it over to a long range rig for ringing steel and shooting prairie dogs. Well the illumination on the 3.5-15x50 is only adjustable by taking the battery cap off and turning a small set screw with screwdriver. That's a deal breaker for me for general hunting scope.

I am still mulling the idea of just using the 2.5-10x42 NXS. Kinda don't want to show up without a 50mm obj as that what is recommended by my PH.

I'll probably just pick up the Z6i 2-12x50 with 4A-I reticle and use it for this hunt. Will try and find a use for it long term or just sell it or trade it after the hunt.

Really appreciate all the input. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

One thing to remember is that if you are hunting private land in Zim, you are allowed to shoot at night with a light. That means that you might well not have a natural light source and you will want all the light gathering power you can get. Yes, the shot will be close.

Yes. Private land.