New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing--what did you forget?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I leave in three weeks for Zimbabwe for a first safari. I've made a packing list and obviously have the essentials listed--passport, rifle, ammo, travel documents, malaria meds, and the like.

When you were on your first or second safari, what did you FORGET to bring along that you later regretted? Since I'm limited to a carry-on bag, rifle case, and suitcase/duffle, I don't want to overpack, but it isn't like I'll be next to a Wal-Mart either.

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I forgot to take was my banker.
Other than that I had waaayy too much stuff.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My malaria’s malaria drugs. But, it was August and winter so no mosquitoes

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gloves and stocking hat for those cold early morning rides in the back of the truck.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noise cancelling headphones so I could try to sleep on the flight (first trip only-don't forget them now!)

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Headlamp

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alergy medicine
I normally have no problems but the pollen in Africa is different than home.
Fortunately the my friend had plenty.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Took my Malaria meds, but never saw a Mosquito . Could have used some warmer clothes but made due with what I had. Pack light as far as clothes go, you only need 3 changes plus what you wear on the plane. As was already said TAKE LOTS OF MONEY, small denominations for tips as I found hundred dollar bills, while not refused, $20's are much better for the camp staff.
We were also able to escrow our trophy fees and safari balance and pay them when we got back to the states, kept us from hauling around a bunch of cash. Most importantly....Have FUN your going to be planning your second safari before your first is over, trust me we did by day 3.

Posts: 793 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Headlamp

For wilderness hunts when living in a tent, I really like to take cap lights. These are the small lights attach to the brim of a baseball cap. They are great in the tent after the generators are turned off.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Several weeks prior to departure, the wife and I make a list and lay out all of our kit in a spare room. We discuss each item and add and take away as needed. When all is complete and reviewed, we pack it all up a few days prior to departure. Pre inspections are how you comply with the 1st Standing Order: "Don't forget nothing."

Safe travels and good shooting...…….LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read of another hunter making a trip and his ammo didn't get there. Only had 3 shells on what could have been a multi hog shoot.
From that, it seems like a good idea to stuff ammo in a couple other places and not all in one spot. Has to conform to the laws though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visine or some other eye drench.
3rd week of Sept. Dry, dusty and hot.

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spare batteries for when you forget to turn of your headlamp.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My flashlights all take lithium batteries, and it is both dangerous and illegal to pack loose lithium batteries in checked baggage due to fire hazard. I replace all my batteries with fresh ones just before my Namibian hunts. I also put in a fresh 9V battery in my laser rangefinder. My PH is a phenomenal hunter, but his range estimation skills are his Achilles heel. On my first African animal in 2012, I asked him the range to the 40” Gemsbok that we spotted from our elevated blind. He replied “160 yards”, but since I play a lot of golf and I knew I couldn’t hit my best drive as far as the Gemsbok, I knew he was 200+ yards out. I used my laser rangefindet and he was 224 yards out. I held for 200 yards and dropped him with a single shot.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
prepare a checklist of items and check each one off as it is put into the suitcase, backpack, etc.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I will send you my packing list that has been refined over 10 safaris - it may give you an idea to pack something you forgot

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Any body left the rifle bolt behind?

Happens sometimes here in NZ as our rules are to store rifle and bolt separately & also transport them separately.

I once left my bolt behind when on a range shoot!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Small digital camera. First hog hunt, N.E. Texas at Gato's. Had to use my phone, couldn't download the pictures to my computer.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Early on when I had just started flying to hunt big game and I had read many stories about people forgetting to pack ammo, rifle bolt etc that I became a bit fixated on making sure I didnt become a statistic.

I flew into a remote location and confirmed I had all my field shooting gear with me when I arrived. However I had been so focused on those items, I had forgotten to pack shirts and some other items of clothing.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Failed to pack replacement contact lenses - Headed to Jo'burg and then on to Windhoek, I discovered 3 hours into the flight from Phoenix to that I forgot 'em !!

Got lucky and didn't tear or lose either of the ones I had on. Changed my checklist after that trip to say more than just "toiletries".

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Tweezers and a magnifying glass.

rotflmo Yes, Pepper ticks can be hard to see even with good eyesight.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I will send you my packing list that has been refined over 10 safaris - it may give you an idea to pack something you forgot

It is a very good list and I use it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

If anyone is interested I have an MEA packing list that Sadie and I have put together over the last 25 years. Send me you e-mail and I'd be happy to share it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote