New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition Limits on Airlines
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are the contraints on ammunition for airline travel based on "per passenger" or "per checked bag" (even with extra baggage paid for) ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I'm not up on the current IATA (International Air Transport Association) ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) or UN regs, but I have been told by several airlines that the limit is 11 lbs (or 5 kilos) per person, regardless of number of bags or extra bag charges. I believe it is written this way to allow for a passenger to carry a limited or "courtesy" amount of what they would otherwise classify as hazardous material. Same way that they limit the amount of Dry Ice that one is allowed to have in a cooler.

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So guess one should take their spouse and children to increase the ammo limit.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
A quick check of several airlines' websites indicated "11 pounds per passenger".

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's one benefit of taking my better half this summer. We were able to bring 50 rds for the .308 and 135 for the .458 Lott. The Lott ammo (that we didn't burn up ourselves) was mistakenly left behind with one of our PH's, who seemed very happy about our loss. Would 120 rds of .458 Lott ammo loaded with Barnes Monolith solids be hard to get, or maybe expensive, in Zim?

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote