Find
Notify
Tools

Just in from the Selous
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
We got home last night from the Selous and had a wonderful hunt with Luke Samaras Safaris. I've since been trying to figure out if it was a blessing or not that I was out of the office during the financial mess of recent weeks. Anyway, my son and I had a great trip.
I have an assortment of things I'll soon be sharing in addition to a trip report, but you may also find of interest the amazing pics we took of cats using the new Reconyx trail camera. I played around with it all summer with deer and it is an awesome tool for Africa. My PH was awed by it. It can take thousands of pictures, day or night, in a completely undetectable form and take them about every 2 seconds as needed. For example, I got 2 pics of a leopard in the time he needed to leap from the ground up to the tree limb holding the bait, not to mention pics while he was up there eating. Oh, and the series of pics of a lion at night as he begins his eventually successful effort to rip down a hippo bait is something to see. I've got over a thousand pics of him.
When it comes to saving time and trophy evaluation, this is pretty cool stuff.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Welcome home and look forward to all of your info...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
With that intro I can't believe you did not post some more pictures!

Welcome back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, HE DID! of the camera!

Welcome home, when are you headed back!?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Charles, HE DID! of the camera!

Hence the word "more" in my post. Wink

I am sure he has a lot of catching up to do, but with that description we need lion and leopard pics ASAP.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Spring, good to hear you made it back! How is Leon or should I say "Turbo"? Did he give you any wild rides in the Landcruiser?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Congratulations on your trip! We look forward to your hunt report and pics.

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
With a trailer like that one, Vic, I have a feeling that the movie is going to be good! Cool

I don't mean to be selfish, but please make some time over the weekend to share your story and photos! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, Yes you did say more... dddaaahhh!

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote