THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Not Long Before Another Great Adventure
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Long Before Another Great Adventure
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
A few long days of waiting, then we get together with old friends.

Adds so much to the safari, enjoying time in the wild bush with friends one has shared many campfires with.

I was asked what the recovered bullets look like .

Here are some.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Good luck and I will look forward to the hunt reports tu2

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be safe.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10395 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All those shiny tipped possibilities....

I hope you have a good trip Saeed.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your great photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What part of Tanzania this year?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a Good, Safe trip.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are going to be hunting with Alan Vincent, as we have been doing the past few years.

Our bullets are Molly coated with an industrial spray. We found it much better - and a lot cheaper than OUTER's Molly spray. The OUTERS comes in small spray cans, and if left for any length of time, nothing comes out because it looses its pressure.

The bullets get this look because we coat them while being stuck nose down in large kitchen chopping boards, which we drill the required size holes in.

Bullets are turned from 12mm copper rod, which I understand is manufactured for electrical earthing connections. It is 99.99% copper as tested.

We buy them in 4 meter lengths, and we cut them here to 60 cm, which the right length to feed in our CNC lathe.

Each is measure for diameter and weight.

This way we can eliminate those are with internal faults.

In the past, we got some rods that had air pockets inside them, and this is the only way could sort these out.

I must admit that happened a few years ago, and was not repeated in the new copper rods we have used.

Walter and Maktoum, both were hunting with us last year, are joining us again this year.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We are going to be hunting with Alan Vincent, as we have been doing the past few years.

Our bullets are Molly coated with an industrial spray. We found it much better - and a lot cheaper than OUTER's Molly spray. The OUTERS comes in small spray cans, and if left for any length of time, nothing comes out because it looses its pressure.

The bullets get this look because we coat them while being stuck nose down in large kitchen chopping boards, which we drill the required size holes in.

Bullets are turned from 12mm copper rod, which I understand is manufactured for electrical earthing connections. It is 99.99% copper as tested.

We buy them in 4 meter lengths, and we cut them here to 60 cm, which the right length to feed in our CNC lathe.

Each is measure for diameter and weight.

This way we can eliminate those are with internal faults.

In the past, we got some rods that had air pockets inside them, and this is the only way could sort these out.

I must admit that happened a few years ago, and was not repeated in the new copper rods we have used.

Walter and Maktoum, both were hunting with us last year, are joining us again this year.

Saeed,
what is the benefit of coating the bullets?

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Basically it eliminates fouling in the barrel.

I ran quite a comprehensive test years ago on Molly v non-Molly coated bullets.

There was a very slight increase in the velocity with the same charge, accuracy was slightly better, but the anti fouling qualities were great.

It is really for the reduction of barrel fouling that I use it on all the bullets we use here.

Whether they are own Walterhogs or factory made bullets.

We coat all the ones we use.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt Saeed. Glad to hear Walter is coming along for comic relief

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There was a very slight increase in the velocity with the same charge, accuracy was slightly better, but the anti fouling qualities were great.

It is really for the reduction of barrel fouling that I use it on all the bullets we use here.

Your preparation and expertise related here are extensive (and impressive)
When you essentially lathe your own here out of solid Copper..do you do anything to influence expansion before Molly coating? Or do they simply perform as solids where you want minimal deterioration?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

Your preparation and expertise related here are extensive (and impressive)
When you essentially lathe your own here out of solid Copper..do you do anything to influence expansion before Molly coating? Or do they simply perform as solids where you want minimal deterioration?

We can control the expansion by the diameter and depth of the hollow point.

Our current bullets are made with a 2.5mm hollow point, to a depth of 12mm.

These will penetrate a buffalo on broadside shots most of the times, so we have to be careful shooting in herds.

If the buffalo is quartering, the bullet remains inside.

Almost all bullets loose the front part - very similar performance to the original Barnes X bullets.

We have tested bullets with a 2mm hollow point, and 9mm deep.

Is hot a buffalo bull walking away. The bullet entered next to the tail, went along the whole body, and was lodged in neck closer to the ear!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong there. Excepting 13.5 calibers and 270 grains more for bullet diameter and weight! Wink

I just use the standard Barnes .509 caliber 570grain TSX bullets. I haven't had fouling problems with them, but I do like the notion of moly coating for purposes of increased velocity and reduced fouling in general.

Can you share the source of your moly coating? Or, can you let us know if the standard stuff worked fine, apart from its short shelf life?

Thanks, and best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be enough penetration for anyone's dreams.

How many bullets do you make up before loading?
How many rounds do you take along and how many are usually left over?

Thanks, have a great trip and be safe.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I make my bullets in batches - several hundred at a time - in each caliber being made.

I have made all calibers from .224 to .700.

The nice thing about CNC turned bullets is that we can tailor the bullet to the specific rifle. We have had rifles that have under sized barrels, and shoot much better with smaller bullets than standard

We take a total of 140 rounds for 4 hunters hunters.

Many are left at the end of the safari, and we hold a shooting contest for our camp staff, and they shoot whatever is left - which can be quite a lot sometimes, if we do not have someone playing around with 12 shots on a buffalo rotflmo

It provides lots of fun for everyone, and every contestant gets a cash prize - it is in decreasing amount according to their rank in the shooting.

This shooting contest at the end of the safari has become a tradition now, and everyone looks forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Saeed and Co! I really enjoyed and appreciated the film of your adventure from last year.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Good luck, Saeed and Co! I really enjoyed and appreciated the film of your adventure from last year.

You are very welcome my friend, glad you enjoyed it Ben.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have fun saeed.

Too much preparation - I just got myself a blaser and everything breaks down and functions perfectly. You should try it. sofa

Have fun and I am looking forward to the pictures.

Mile

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Have fun saeed.

Too much preparation - I just got myself a blaser and everything breaks down and functions perfectly. You should try it. sofa

Have fun and I am looking forward to the pictures.

Mile

I have some here, and do shoot them in the range.

But hunt with one?

Not on your life my friend!

Too complicated for my taste.

And I am old fashioned, and prefer a normal bolt action rifle.

I can operate it without thinking, which comes in handy when one is at my age and the part between the ears too set in its own old ways. rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Nothing wrong there. Excepting 13.5 calibers and 270 grains more for bullet diameter and weight! Wink

I just use the standard Barnes .509 caliber 570grain TSX bullets. I haven't had fouling problems with them, but I do like the notion of moly coating for purposes of increased velocity and reduced fouling in general.

Can you share the source of your moly coating? Or, can you let us know if the standard stuff worked fine, apart from its short shelf life?

Thanks, and best of luck!

Mike,

I have used 3 types of Molly coating, and frankly, I cannot see much difference between them in performance.

I used the original powdered Molly one put in a tumbler, then coat them with carnoba wax to stop them making your hands filthy.

I have used the OUTER's coating spray, and a very similar product we get from England for industrial coating of Molly.

End results are all the same.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Safe travels and cheers to excellent hunting and time spent with friends.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 883 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Have fun and Happy Hunting!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: What is Walter doing to prepare for the upcoming trip?

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Good hunting Bwana, I have been watching and reading about your groups antics since the late 1990's.

I found a 2004 or 2006 dvd the other day and watched it, and laughed as hard as I did on last years.

Thanks again to your group and have a blessed safari!

Seth

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wishing the group all the best. Enjoy!

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Saeed: What is Walter doing to prepare for the upcoming trip?

Walter is in a bit of fix with his professional hunter.

Apparently they have been communicating on Whatsapp, and the Pete has asked Walter to make sure he is rested and fit, as his message says "I am going to work your ass off walking up the hills, down the valleys, in the most remote part of the concession".

Walter, as you can imagine, is not very impressed.

He is going around the chemists trying to get a big supply of what he calls "pills that aid in fast digestion. I will add them to his diet. He will be spending all his time trying to find a tree to hide behind to do relief himself instead of trying to kill me!"

As you can see, other hunters and their PHs tend to talk about making a hunt as enjoyable as possible.

Walter has affected Pete so much now even he is starting to think like Walter! clap

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip and I look forward to the reports and video!

Best,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can shoot through 2 buffalo end to end with that ammo ...

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be safe and have fun!

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He is going around the chemists trying to get a big supply of what he calls "pills that aid in fast digestion. I will add them to his diet. He will be spending all his time trying to find a tree to hide behind to do relief himself instead of trying to kill me!"

I'm hoping you aren't going to put a tracking chip on his person so the drone follows him while he does this. I'm just fearful that's going to make the last few hours of the videos this year...... nilly

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Have a great safari and I look forward to the report and videos

Anton

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you apply the carnoba wax to the bullets after they have been molycoated?

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Please do have another great safari. I very much enjoy your pix of everything you encounter.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: That is DAMN funny! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get a lot of satisfaction loading my own ammo, rifle, handgun and shotgun. Lathe turning your own bullets is a giant step above.
Have a great safari.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Have a great and safe trip. I look forward to reading about it!

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Head Trauma:
How do you apply the carnoba wax to the bullets after they have been molycoated?

It is a process dreamt up by someone, which really did not work that well.

They have powdered carnoba wax which you add to the bullets in a tumbler.

It is supposed to cover the Molly so that it does not get onto your hands.

It never worked, and using the spray Molly eliminates this.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I get a lot of satisfaction loading my own ammo, rifle, handgun and shotgun. Lathe turning your own bullets is a giant step above.
Have a great safari.

It gets worse, when you are hunting with a rifle you have built yourself, for a cartridge you have developed yourself. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Off to molycoat some 375 bullets.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote