New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "Heavy" rifle for a lady
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
My suggestion is the Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Ouch and Ouch, loaded with 270grain premiums. Upgrade the recoil pad to a Pachmayer decelerator or equivalent.

If she can handle the 40lbs of recoil your Ultra mag generates, she won't have any trouble with the Ouch and Ouch. It would be hard to tell the difference in felt recoil.

JMHO...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd let her shoot any of the 458s even if she wanted to. I know some people are impervious to recoil, but that's just not practical. It would be pretty hard to get a 458 down in the 40 lb recoil range, I would think.

A No 1 is an interesting idea, but there again, the weight that is mentioned as taming recoil would probably make it too heavy for her to carry or shoot comfortably. A muzzle break is an option (but a last option).

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Any idea of the going price ofr a .404 from Win.? I had mine put together for about $2100 w/ 1/4 rib & some other niceties.

I would say a M70 w/ a stock that fits her, merc. reducer & scope should bring it in about 10#. You could always go w/ a removable muzzle break. I hate the noise level but they do work.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your Lady can handle the recoil of a light 300 RUM. I've had a couple 300 RUMs and a few 375's and I personal find the sharper recoil of a 300 more unpleasant than the 375 H&H. I would think the most critical factor will be in having a rifle that fits her well, has a proper recoil pad and perhaps a mercury recoil reducer or two.
I bet there would be a lot more women enoying shooting if more attention were paid to proper rifle fit for the ladies..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if she is being backed up by you and your ph a nice ruger 1 in 416 rigby would do wounders or even a 375 h&h in a ruger 1 the weight of a number 1 would dampen the recoil heck add a muzzel brake if need be i dont like them my self but if that is what it takes do it up man!!!

why not the safarie m70 375 its a crf and gose about 8-9lbs.

i would not in anyway hesitate if i had only a ruger 1 in 416 or 458 win mag or 458 lott. i would be out there hunting with out so much as a second thought as long as i was being backed up

of course hunting dg by your self would be foolish to begin with not to mention illegal for a non res.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I don't know how much you want to spend, but if you want one you can now get a winchester in .404 Jeffries so that you don't have to have one rebarreled to that caliber.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=911&cat=001C

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you load a 375 H&H down to about 2400 fps with a 300gr bullet the recoil is remarkably less than the same bullet at 2500 fps....try it, I know she will like it. And, it is still a very effective load and is in fact the load that Kevin Robertson suggests for the 375 H&H for hunting buffalo.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That great 10.75 x 68 is a real sleeper witha .423 bullet of 350 grs. at 2375 FPS and it recoils about like a 300 H&H in the gun I had...

The 404 at 2100 FPS is no cream puff and fully equal in recoil to a 375 H&H with factory fodder...

My suggestion other than the 9.3x62 would be a 375 loaded to 2100 FPS with a 270 gr. Failsafe bullet, or even a 250 gr. GS custom HP monolithic..That should surfice on anything that walks, talks, breaths or crawls...Recoil would be about as mild as one can get and still have enough gun for dangerous game.

I have a couple of lady clients who shoot Buffalo every year with 9.3x62s and a couple of men that use the 9.3x74 in double persuasion, and they have had no problems..The buff run about 50 to 75 yards and die with a bellow, about what you would expect with a 458 Lott or 500 N.E.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little bored, so thought I'd throw this question out for discussion...

What would you buy or build as a DGR (buffalo) for a lady, with the following parameters:

1) Minumum 375 calibre to comply with (some) country regulations

2) Maximum TOTAL weight of around 8-9 lbs

3) Tolerable recoil (around 40 ft/lbs)

I know many will respond that a 9.3 x 62 would be a fine choice, and I agree, except that some countries have that pesky minimum calibre reg. If I ever make it over to hunt buff, I think my girlfriend (or then wife) would like to take one, as well. She can tolerate the 40 or so ft/lbs my light 300 RUM generates, but probably not much more. The weight limit is about all she could comfortably carry and shoot from field positions.

My thoughts are: a Win M70 (not Safari) in 375, loaded down to comfortable recoil; Win M70 Classic rebarreled to 404 Jeff, loaded down again; Rem 700 (Ugh!) in 375.

Also, this might be a good plains game rifle for me, in place of my heavier M70 Safari! As such, I'd probably shy away from some of the more "exotic" offerings like 400 Hawk or 376 Steyr.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
If handloading is no problem then a good 10,75x68 mauser would be great. Low recoil but great performance with woodleighs. I�ve never fired a shot at dangerous game, but Harald Wolff, Hatari Times, seems to have confidence in the old calibre.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote