Find
Notify
Tools

DG Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
In light of the recent tragedies and mishaps of some experienced PH's and outfitters posted here recently, I was wondering if it is standard practice to have someone armed watching the bush while the PH or trackers are trying to track after an animal (especially DG) has been wounded. I read somewhere (maybe Capstick?) that a hunter should leave the tracking to the trackers and be ready to shoot in case a wounded animal tries to ruin your day but was wondering if this is SOP with most PH's? The natural tendency is to look at what everybody else is looking at (tracks or blood) but if everyone has their nose to the ground, aren't you taking a greater chance of being suprised?

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think all this is getting blown way out of proportion. There is not a blood crazed buff behind very bush.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
There are many better versed than I here, I've only been in a few buffalo and one elephant hunt.
But it isn't like everyone is sitting down to a game of cards while tracking, the experienced trackers and Pro Hunters are extremely alert and really know their jobs. In my experience the PH was usually looking ahead and often even off the track. I've been lucky enough to hunt with 3 to 5 trackers at all times so it seemed that at least one was focusing further out. They work as such a good team I generally didn't get in the way of the real tracking and thought my efforts were better spent looking further out also.
You must also remember that while the guys are tracking, even though their eyes may be on the ground much of the time their ears are still working in all directions. And in close vegetation your ears will save you earlier than your eyes.
If you haven't be fortunate enough to hunt with a PH and his team of experienced trackers you might be shocked at how smoothly and efficiently they work. I've seen many hours go by where there is no talking, just an occasional soft whistle or finger snap with pointing.
The bottom line is, no matter how many people are doing extra jobs, things can still go wrong in tight cover with dangerous animals.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whoever wrote that, he obviously has not tracked many wounded animals in thick bush.

In theory, it sounds great, but in practice, one usually finds himself in very thick bush, and anyone standing a few yards away won't be able to see even him.

This makes it even more likely of being shot by whoever is the guard, rather than being gored by a buffalo.

Some of the accidents that have happened recently are unavoidable - at least from what we have heard.

And one just has to take his chances if one is going to be hunting in the wilds of Africa.

Having said that, I have been hunting buffalo, elephant and lion for 22 years. I have followed many wounded buffalo and and some lion, but, I honestly never felt scared of what might happen.

I feel a lot more scared driving to the office every morning, becuase of all the loonies driving on our roads.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote