Find
Notify
Tools

Do yourself a favor . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
If you enjoy good books about Africa and hunting, do yourself a favor. Read the series of books that Ron Thomson wrote chronicling his big game hunting career with National Parks in Zimbabwe. Not only are his books very readable (he is an excellent writer) but the stories are extremely interesting and he was involved in some incredible events (like the black rhino relocation program in Zim). From a cadet game ranger (a position created for him because he was too young to join National Parks as a game ranger) to provincial warden at Hwange. In addition to the six books in the series, also include The Adventures of Shadrek and Mahohboh (meaning "heaps and heaps" because he shot heaps and heaps of elephants). I just started re-reading the series and am almost through the third book. Really good stuff. These would be among the last books I would ever part with in my library.

Ron Thomson Books

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an autographed, numbered copy of Mahohboh that is well worn from frequent reading.

Anyone with any interest in elephant hunting will find it an absolute gem, highly recommended. The personal anecdotes are outstanding and the wealth of hard won insights about elephant hunting make this one you need in your library.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike – I couldn’t agree more!

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, these books are available on Amazon Kindle.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which two or three would be real favorites?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mahohboh and Black Rhino. The latter, detailing the rhino darting and relocation efforts, was fascinating in my view. He describes stalks of less than 100 yards that lasted for hours to get within range of the early dart gun models.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading about hunting in Africa, especially old books.

I have several hundred of fine old books, some are no longer available.

They are all very enjoyable to read.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a great writer. "Mahohbo" is my favorite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well your reading Thompsom get Elephant Conservation.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I need to get Mahobo. I've read in the Spirit of Nehanda and Hunters Tales, all ebooks. All very good. Shadrek was excellent, so much so I was bothered by the sense of betrayal. That book is a great example of photos vividly adding to a story.

Posts: 3511 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good reading Mike tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote