THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    No tusked cow elephant hunting in Zim??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No tusked cow elephant hunting in Zim??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read 500 grains hunt report (very nice, BTW) and was struck by the statement that Zim Parks had closed tusked cow hunting in most areas.

This was my dream hunt. One that I could actually financially justify for recreation. The trophy fees were low. Although the ivory could not kept, it would be an elephant!

Is this a permanent situation?

A tuskless would be fine, but I would think they would start getting pretty thin at some point soon?

I am gonna kick myself in the rear all weekend. Buzz emailed me a great late season offer last year. Should have goneMad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Chewore recently. I shot a tuskless there. There were two other hunters who had quota for one each. I saw plenty of tuskless. Doesn't seem to be an issue, at least not yet.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a conservation issue. The cows with the biggest tusks and no calves at heel tend to be the maitriachs and shooting them causes all sorts of social problems. It has also, directly led to a decline in general tusk size in bulls. Have a read of Don Heaths Doctorate if you want 200pages of "proof". In a few places cows are put on licence to keep them out of specific areas and bully the herds.

But in general- an NT bull with non exportable ivory will cost you the same as a cow. and a Tuskless cow should be $500 less

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. I would love to read the Doctorate. I will see if I can find it.

I hope my post did not sound greedy. I would never wish to degrade conservation efforts in any way with my hunting.

After joinging AR in planning my first safari, I woas very surprised at the trophy fee for cows. Must be the best value in hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MetalMan29,

You are right it is the best value. I shot two tuskless on my recent trip. One in Chewore and one in the Save Conservancy. I ammazes me that the trophy fee for the tuskless is actually less than for a bull Buff. And its a great hunt.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote