New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transporting rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First time to Africa in November. We are flying into NJ then have to take a shuttle to JFK in NY City. Any issues transporting two rifles in a locked case? Any permits required.

Then we are flying into RSA and catching a flight to MAUN Botswana. What is required in these countries?

Thanks in advance guys.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be equally concerned about the permits in Jersey.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've had no problems in NY with long rifles in a locked case but next time travel via Atlanta. Once, upon arriving back in NY, the airlines would not release my rifle case until I showed them my license to possess a firearm in my home state. They could not understand in Alaska nothing is required. A bit of time and it was all sorted out.
Enjoy the heat of Africa's November!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you use a good travel agent that is used to booking traveling hunters. Kathi Klimes, who posts here, would be one. I've used Gracy Travel and Steve Turner with Travel with Guns. They know the requirements and will make sure you have what you need.

Posts: 10368 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
You definitely need permits for Botswana. Your outfitter or PH can help with that

You will also need permits in Johannesburg if you collect your rifles and don't check them straight through to Maun.

But even if you try to check them straight through, you may have problems. When I left Maun and tried to check rifles to Atlanta, the folks at air Botswana told me their label thing was broken and they could only send it to Johannesburg.

So I had to collect them in Johannesburg, run to the saps office for a permit just to carry it across the terminal to check it on my delta flight home.

Get permits for everything and still be ready for something to happen with extra copies of everything.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I do about gun laws in NJ, if there is any way to change your flight and skip NJ I would do so ASAP! 2nd choice is to talk to one of the gun knowledgeable travel agents around here. I grew up in NJ and left a long time ago and have some knowledge of this. Good luck.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a lot easier to rent/borrow guns. I have done this on my last 3 trips. No problems at all.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in New York State, and fly in and out of Newark with firearms with no problems; it's a lot easier there than in LaGuardia, just because the facility is newer. Never had any problems with TSA or Port Authority. (Just flew to/from JFK for a Namibia plains game hunt, and had no problems at all there, either.)

My friend's girlfriend is a very good, very dedicated skeet shot, who regularly flies out of state to compete in various events. She makes a point of driving from Connecticut to Newark, believing that Newark is less of a hassle with respect to firearms than any other facility in the area. She's been doing that for many years.

I say the above assuming that you're dealing with rifles; handguns are a completely different story, and would almost certainly get you into some fairly unpleasant situations.

As an aside, and with reference to lavaca's earlier post, I booked all travel through Steve at Travels with Guns. First-class treatment and abundant hand-holding all the way. Couldn't have asked for better.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote