THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Regarding using crossbow at night on DG

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regarding using crossbow at night on DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems if this hunter was either:

1) a better shot or

2) used a rifle

to cleanly Kill Cecil the Lion we would not hardly have this international mess on our collective hands. I have not seen this mentioned? Could have happened with any weapon but archery and crossbows lower the clean kill ratio quite a bit. Next to a Park pulling a lion out at night? Not the brightest idea with crossbow IMHO

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cleanly killing that damn lion would not alter anything about this current mess fueled by antihunting wackos.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is going to result in a ban on hunting DG with a Bow/Cross Bow?

The incident has provided enough cannon-fodder for it to happen.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
How many Leopards aren't cleanly killed with a rifle at night? I agree with DTala. This is a total shit storm. He could have killed it with a blowgun and we would have the same outcome.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I dont agree with 'NIGHT HUNTING" for anything except vermin.
SHAME ON ANYONE WHO SHOOTS GAME AT NIGHT!!!

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Define VERMIN.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect there are a great many bush Africans that consider lions vermin.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:

And as Crazyhorse would say, ""In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!
and this was one of those opinions.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

SHAME ON ME, THEN! Wink

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Simply asked, why?

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is no shortage of idiots in hunting as in all other pursuits. Look around you. Half of those you see are below average.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I see no reason at all not to use any form of weapon to hunt with, as long as the person is capable of using it properly.

Sadly, many hunters use rifles which they incapable of handling at all.

The same goes for hunting game at night.

There are certain species which are hunted at night, and where it is legal, I see no reason not to.

It is that same old saying "When in Rome, Do As The Roman's do"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Greenies make much of the fact that the hunter(s), after wounding the lion with a bow, followed it up for a day and a half before killing it, apparently with a rifle. The PH probably had the rifle.

Actually, they should be commended for following it up and dispatching it.

As readers of this forum know, almost never does an animal drop to a shot, except in the cowboy movies. Most run at least 50 yards. I myself followed up a wounded Cape Buffalo late in the day. My PH was just starting to suggest that we quit for the night and come back the next day when we found it and I killed it. A minute more and we would have had a follow up of many hours.

Of course, when following up wounded cats, the PH often goes alone without the client.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.