THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Choice of Stock otions for African hunt

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choice of Stock otions for African hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have a 375 H&H mag in a Win Model 70 Classic stainless, synthetic stocked. I'm not a big fan of synthetic, I just can't warm up to it. I purchased a walnut factory Winchester Safari stock for it and the one peice stainless bottom metal and put it together that way and really am liking the set up. My question is should I plan on using it in the wood stock when on safari or should I look at using the plastic stock?
The wood stock is nice but it is not outstanding wood and some dings and such wouldn't bother me at all, I've heard that the synthetic can get almost too hot too handle in the sun, what are your opinions for the "stock option" I'm faced with?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the stock you shoot best with on the rifle and go with it. Looks don't count nearly as much as being able to hit with the rifle. Nobody in Africa is going to give a flip what your rifle looks like. They are going to be looking at what you can hit with it. Have a great hunt and good luck.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in 100 degree weather with a synthetic-stocked rifle many times, and never had it become too hot to handle.

If you're concerned about that, get some Spandoflage or tape and cover the stock.

1115 is dead on; no one in Africa cares what your rifle looks like, only that you can use it properly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1115 and GeorgeS make valid points, However, if you like the walnut stock, then use it. I've taken a total of four rifles to South Africa on three different trips. All were blued steel with walnut stocks.

"I'm not a big fan of synthetic, I just can't warm up to it."

I feel much the same way. The rifle you take to Africa will have special memories attached to it. Use the rifle you like.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in some blistering heat with both synthetic and wood stocked rifles and neither gets appreciably hotter than the other. It's the BARREL that will burn the skin off of you!

Like you, I really do like a nice wood stock, but as I say, I have synthetics as well. So, as has already been said, just go with the one that satisfies you more than the other.

Also, you have probably already considered this, but--since it's a replacement--you'll want to be sure that your barrelled action is properly bedded in the wood stock if you go that way.

Good hunting!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have used both wood stocked and synthetic stocked rifles in Africa; however, all have been blue steel. Folks I have talked to over there suggest tape or paint to cut off reflections from SS gun parts. The flashes can spook game.

I notice that synthetic stocks can be very noisy compared to wood.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I have noticed that synthetics have a louder "scratch" sound when going through brush. I noticed this on my Mcmillan while hunting Kudu. While I don't think it blew any stalks, it sure was noisy. I have found wood to be quiet except you hae a stock that looks like crap without much time in the field.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody, most of you confirmed what I already thought. Just so you know I wasn't asking a Rifle stock fashion question, frankly I could give a rats ass what people think my hunting rifle looks like I was wondering purely from a useability stand point. I too have noticed the noise of the synthetic stock in the brush and don't like it, however it is lighter to carry. I like the feel of the wood instaed of the feel of plastic.
Thanks again everyone.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth, if you don’t care about fashion, I’d recommend a Hogue Overmold stock. Rubber outer coating is dead silent, pillar bedding (or full-length action-block with some stocks), great recoil pad, and they really stick to your hands no matter what the weather. Of course, my friends keep accusing me of using a “condom†stock, but it sure shoots nice.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I like both in the field, fiberglass is nice to carry and tough, wood is pretty to look at and warm.

LAMINATE IS MY FAVORITE THOUGH!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote