New
Find
Notify
Tools

lusaka
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two hunting buddies and I will need to overnight in Lusaka in July. Any suggestions about where to stay will be greatly appreciated.

H. Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Taj Pomadzi: http://www.tajhotels.com/Resevation/default.aspx It was very nice,clean and secure, but also very expensive ($200+). As we arrived late at night and left before sun up, it was a waste of money as we did not have an opportunity to really enjoy the facilities other than a quick drink in the bar.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
opps the same info as SBT posted..sorry about that

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The Taj also, but I stayed for half that in 2004... I could tell at the time that Zambia was on the rebound, but double the rates in ~2 years is pretty amazing.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
YES Zambia prices (across the board) particularily for tourist places whom charge in USA Dollars have gone up a lot of late ..

One of the inherant problems in the last 6 months PLUS has been the exchange rate Kwacha vis US $ ...

What occured in the last year or so is the World Bank/IMF in their wisdom !!!! wrote off most if not all of Zambia's debt which had the effect of skewing the exchange rate and the Zambian Kwacha re-valued up against the Dollar

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have friends who live in Lusaka, and I usually stay with them. However the only place I've stayed other than with friends is the Taj, but like Bill C, I paid $100 per night!

If you are flying on up to the Lungwa Valley, they only fly up there about twice per week, but the last time I was there, my friend pulled some strings and booked me through Ndola, then to Mfuwe, saveing me one day of hunting time. I had a plane break down, and missed my connections up to the valley, One usually has to over night once going in, and once coming out of the valley,in Lusaka anyway.

What concession are you hunting?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if memory serves I believe we stayed at the intercontinental, which was very good and at that time cheaper than the taz

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
As with butchloc, I'm going on memory, but I believe we stayed at the Intercontinental as well. It was a nice place, especially the dining buffet, but this was about 5 years ago, and hotels do wax and wane. (The gal at reception was certainly the prettiest African woman I've ever seen. Smiler )

I can't recommend a stroll to the other side of town. This is the older part, along the railroad. There were some pretty rough looking squatter's camps near the tracks. The old market was interesting, but a tourist guide we read after we got home suggested our getting out of there with our wallets was a matter of luck. I recall that in the walk down the center of the main road (parallels the railroad) there was a cover missing which let the unwary fall about 15 feet into the sewer, so do watch where you are walking. It's probably best to stay on the new side of town, where the government buildings are. On the whole, I liked walking about Windhoek better.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Holiday Inn that is pretty stateside. The Taj is the way to go.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
We were warned to stay away from the Holiday Inn. Evidently a place for prostitution and drugs. The Taj is an excellent facility and safe although pricey.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
John,
That is what Mark meant by "pretty stateside".

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...had a good stay at the "Lilayi Lodge" www.lilayi.com in 2003.