THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tragedy on safari-lessons to be learned

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tragedy on safari-lessons to be learned
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I won't go into many details for reasons of privacy but there was recently a tragedy on a safari in Zim. A client had a massive heart attack around a campfire and was dead before he hit the ground. Nothing could be done to save him.

This made me realize that I have been a bit lax of late in making sure my own affairs were dealt with in the event something unexpected happened. When something unexpected happens, there can be a hell of a lot to deal with. Sure, I have a will, trusts and all of that. The real problems come with knowing where everything is. For example, where are my life insurance policies? Where are the documents evidencing ownership in real estate? Where are the stock certificates for the closely held corporations I own? The list goes on and on.

My brother's father in law just died of cancer. Due to unexpected complications, he died suddenly about 2 years before it was expected. He took care of everything. His wife knew nothing about their finances. His wife, while grieving, has to sort all of this out.

I think we should all think about think about this a hell of a lot more. I know I am before my next trip.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh so true!!

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great advice, Larry!

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Having a notebook with all that information is on my to do list. Right now, just a folder in the firesafe.

Ideally?
A tab for 'every' contingency.

Death
Missing
End of life/ICU stuff
Kidnapping

List of what we have, where it is located, what its worth, best way to cash out material things, etc.

List and location of all pertinent paperwork

List of passwords etc

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The combination of the client dying in Zim plus my brothers father in law passing has really made me think.

Joe (the father in law) had handled everything for 50 years. He had about 2 years left. He planned on sorting everything out so it would not be a problem . He turned septic and was dead in 36 hours. His widow is completely clueless, has no idea where to start all while grieving .

I am lucky in that I have an employee who knows 90%+ of everything . It would not be difficult to leave a complete list with her and my lawyers.

Why put my family through this?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea!

Of course the list stating what your guns are actually worth be carefully must be filed away until after you have passed in case finding out the former earlier may lead to the latter!

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
This is one of those facts of life, most of us really don't like thinking about.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Very well stated. Before my Buff hunt last year, I made my wife a complete list with account info, log ins, who to contact info and phone numbers. She is an amazing wife, but has never even paid a bill on line and does know what we have or where we have it. I gave her step by step instructions about corporations, real estate etc that made me sleep much better. It took a long time to put together, but well worth it.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took care of that in '06. We did a trust plus, I leave a detailed list of guns I own (plus values) in the safe with more instructions for her.
Tough to witness and be a part of.............

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, great advice!
My best friend passed away, several years back, at
the young age of 39. He seemed to be in perfect
health. This happened on a hunting trip and was a
shock to us all.
I agree 100% that none of us can ever be over prepared!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who knows i could get killed by a gator attacking me in a John Deere atv buggy.

But seriously I need to go some estate planning. The default in Florida (no will) is everything goes to my parents. But getting all the assets and entities unwound would be work.

I have created a spreadsheet with all my guns.

But my goal is by year end to get some estate planning done.

Maybe I will leave all my ammo to Biebs so he can improve his marksmanship.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to make light of this topic, but I leave for a hunt in Zambia in 3 days of which my husband is too disabled to accompany me. I asked my husband of 49 years what he would think if I got eaten by a lion.
His response was perfect, "the end of a beautiful career!"
This is why I love this man who understands why I hunt!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Who knows i could get killed by a gator attacking me in a John Deere atv buggy.

But seriously I need to go some estate planning. The default in Florida (no will) is everything goes to my parents. But getting all the assets and entities unwound would be work.

I have created a spreadsheet with all my guns.

But my goal is by year end to get some estate planning done.

Maybe I will leave all my ammo to Biebs so he can improve his marksmanship.

Mike

I wasn't worried at all. After all, the gator was on your side and you went to FSU!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Great idea!

Of course the list stating what your guns are actually worth be carefully must be filed away until after you have passed in case finding out the former earlier may lead to the latter!

Guns are only worth what they can get for them. Same as if you tried to sell them.

Everyone thinks that the widow will get screwed by whoever is buying the guns. The widow will get what she can get for them. The fairest way to do it is to haul them to someone like Cabelas. They pay 60% of what they will sell them for. I find they are very fair on scopes.

Yes the widow will lose 40%, but many "friends" will do much worse.

Most stores charge 25% commission. Some charge 30 or more, and you have to wait for the money. A friend of mine has his wife's finances worked out for 3 months, then she is supposed to be able to figure out the future. They are multi-millionaires who own tons of properties. She has 15-20,000 in her acount to live on. They have no bills whatsover and own everything out right. But she isn't interested in the nuts and bolts of their finances.

Over several years a widow could liquidate a big collection by doing gun shows (where legal), and putting them on the internet. But it could take a long time to see any money.

I chose to to sell all my guns before we moved to Germany. Long story shore, when I moved to Australia my family absorbed all the guns I own into their own ownership. A lot were sold off. My dad even told me I had too many 700 Remingtons, so he sold them all off for a pitance. He took in some really stupid things on trade, and I got very little cash back out of a what I had bought. So I wasn't going to take in the shorts again. They were supposed to be holding them for me, but they moved in the middle of it and I lost out.

There are people on AR I would trust before I would trust family.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I won't go into many details for reasons of privacy but there was recently a tragedy on a safari in Zim. A client had a massive heart attack around a campfire and was dead before he hit the ground. Nothing could be done to save him.

This made me realize that I have been a bit lax of late in making sure my own affairs were dealt with in the event something unexpected happened. When something unexpected happens, there can be a hell of a lot to deal with. Sure, I have a will, trusts and all of that. The real problems come with knowing where everything is. For example, where are my life insurance policies? Where are the documents evidencing ownership in real estate? Where are the stock certificates for the closely held corporations I own? The list goes on and on.

My brother's father in law just died of cancer. Due to unexpected complications, he died suddenly about 2 years before it was expected. He took care of everything. His wife knew nothing about their finances. His wife, while grieving, has to sort all of this out.

I think we should all think about think about this a hell of a lot more. I know I am before my next trip.

Very sound advice.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
I don't want to make light of this topic, but I leave for a hunt in Zambia in 3 days of which my husband is too disabled to accompany me. I asked my husband of 49 years what he would think if I got eaten by a lion.
His response was perfect, "the end of a beautiful career!"
This is why I love this man who understands why I hunt!

Best regards, D. Nelson

A very nice sentiment from both you and your husband!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Quite a while ago I put together an "After I'm Dead" package, containing all (I hope) relevant documents, files, will, living will, DD214, VA marker instructions, deed to my cremation niche, a list of instructions and "helpful hints," etc.

Everything is contained in a double heavy duty plastic zip lock bag and stored on the bottom shelf of the freezer side of our refrigerator.

I chose this location because if the house burns down, the refrigerator will be the last item to go.

I don't have a safe or safety deposit box, and besides, those require keys, combinations, sometimes court orders, and so forth.

My wife, all my sons and a few very close friends all know where the package is located, and I update the contents about every six months.

I'm just trying to make things as easy on my wife as possible.

Plus, I'm a Type A control freak and intend to manage my passing from The Other Side! dancing

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Yeah, I'm not married. But I have done all the estate planning, life insurance policies, plus POA and Enduring Guardianship. And everything is registered. And phone numbers for all beneficiaries are with my lawyer.

Certificates of Title to my properties are in a safety deposit box together with relevant keys etc. The Executor/POA has a key to the box..

My ex wife gets $1 rotflmo

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a mild cardiac event on my last safari. It came at the end of a long tracking session (18 km). I started feeling very woozy and my heart started racing out of control. We had just started to move into the herd, and I forgot all about hunting buffalo. The PH was gesturing for me to move up, as he had spotted a big bull and we were running out of daylight.

I once spent 6 months being treated for my heart, and I knew the symptoms were serious. All thoughts of buffalo were vanished in a heartbeat (pun intended).

All I could do was bend over and try to use biofeedback to get my heart beating normally again.

I was in a fog as I tried to walk back to the truck. I kept walking right into the thorns, until finally both trackers realized my predicament and started clearing a path for me.

I was tempted to ask the PH for a flashlight and to just leave me out in the bush, as I felt my malfunctioning heart was more a threat to me than the critters of the bush.

Unfortunately, many hunters by the time they have the resources (time and money) to got on safari, they are in their 60s and are subject to various aliments.

Getting your affairs in order before your trip, is the best thing you can do for your family IMO.

My condolences to the family of the deceased.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is overly generous!

T
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Big Grin

Yeah, I'm not married. But I have done all the estate planning, life insurance policies, plus POA and Enduring Guardianship. And everything is registered. And phone numbers for all beneficiaries are with my lawyer.

Certificates of Title to my properties are in a safety deposit box together keys etc. The Executor/POA has a key.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yup. I started on that a few months ago and had the chat with my wife. Opened a file and printed out screen shots, wrote down notes etc.

Passwords!

Relevant people and contact numbers

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
You also need a really good friend to come over and clear your browser history!
tu2 rotflmo

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was the successor trustee for my parents 20 years ago. They got their estate in order by placing everything into trusts, and it was very easy to handle without probate or attorneys. The CPA's were involved to handle final tax returns and helping to set up a new basis on the assets that were distributed to the siblings. That was one of the best blessings my parents could have done for me considering the position they asked me to serve in. I have tried to do the same for my family.

I own nothing. Technically I am a pauper. Everything is in our Trusts except IRA's, 401k's and life insurance, (I believe) Real property, corporation, LLC's, plus all the small stuff are in the trusts. The good news is that my wife and I are the trustees and control the trusts and do anything we want with them.

Wills, pour over wills, living wills, DNR's etc. are signed and in place.

A few years ago I made a video for my wife and kids. It is about 10 minutes long explaining where everything is in my office, computer, file cabinets and safe, along with what to do. The wife and kids also know who the estate attorney and our CPA is just in case. They are personal friends.

As a person who has been a successor trustee, I highly recommend setting up a trust, if your estate justifies it. I also highly recommend making a video they can store on their own computers, describing the estate and what to do with it.

Don't take what I have written and assume I am a rich man. I am not. Just a husband and father who is trying to make life easier for the ones I love.

The only reason I have written this is to encourage others to do the same.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
That is overly generous!

T
quote:
Big Grin

Certificates of Title to my properties are in a safety deposit box together keys etc. The Executor/POA has a key.

Big Grin tu2

Possessions can be a big complication. I have a pretty nice art collection (mostly Aussie artists) and probably the most extensive collection of antique CSA and French swords in Australia.

The art collection is easy to sell by their beneficiary, but the swords......it's a nightmare, there are no auction houses here that would realise a decent price, so reluctantly I will start selling them off overseas myself to remove one headache.....

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
I was the successor trustee for my parents 20 years ago. They got their estate in order by placing everything into trusts, and it was very easy to handle without probate or attorneys. The CPA's were involved to handle final tax returns and helping to set up a new basis on the assets that were distributed to the siblings. That was one of the best blessings my parents could have done for me considering the position they asked me to serve in. I have tried to do the same for my family.

I own nothing. Technically I am a pauper. Everything is in our Trusts except IRA's, 401k's and life insurance, (I believe) Real property, corporation, LLC's, plus all the small stuff are in the trusts. The good news is that my wife and I are the trustees and control the trusts and do anything we want with them.

Wills, pour over wills, living wills, DNR's etc. are signed and in place.

A few years ago I made a video for my wife and kids. It is about 10 minutes long explaining where everything is in my office, computer, file cabinets and safe, along with what to do. The wife and kids also know who the estate attorney and our CPA is just in case. They are personal friends.

As a person who has been a successor trustee, I highly recommend setting up a trust, if your estate justifies it. I also highly recommend making a video they can store on their own computers, describing the estate and what to do with it.

Don't take what I have written and assume I am a rich man. I am not. Just a husband and father who is trying to make life easier for the ones I love.

The only reason I have written this is to encourage others to do the same.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the post. As one who has already had a heart attack, I wanted to make things as easy for wife as possible. I went through my papers, titles and accounts and isolated each one. They are in my safe with a cover letter to walk her through the process. Thanks again for the post. It made me finish what I had started.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm now dealing with the death of a fellow who was divorced 10 years ago. For whatever reason he never modified the death/survivor verbiage of his checking accounts. His "new" wife of 6 years is in litigation with the "old" wife for the $300,000.00 in the accounts at his death. Alas.

Larry is right. Make no assumptions.

Additionally, the deceased was a vet. He'd never used the VA. No one knew were his DD214 was. God bless the Navy. I got the proof of service to the USN the morning of the funeral and he got the honors he earned. If you're a veteran, make sure your documents are front and center.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Great reminder, Larry. I definitely need to update my trusts. First did mine in 1989 when I was going on safari in Botswana and we had an 18 month old son. I appreciate the reminder as I haven't updated mine in too long.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
I have dealt with families where the surviving spouse knew absolutely zero about finances, accounts etc... Some poor guys didn't even know how to write a check out.

Also don't forget to let someone know your passwords to your accounts online or any "shady" sites you may have accounts on.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After my arortic aneurysm surgery this past January this 48 year old man started laying out death plans.

I trippled my life insurance and made sure all the other legal paperwork was in place before surgery.

Since the surgery scare I try to tell everyone in my life what they mean to me as if today was my last day.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
In 1990 a close friend of mine died in Zambia on the first day of a 'Buff hunt. He was in his mid 40's. He was waiting at the hunting vehicle with some trackers and hit the ground dead of a massive heart attack.

It took over 10 days to get his remains back to the USA. It might have taken longer, but his hunting partner happened to work for a federal government agency and was able to get some support from the US Embassy. The transport bill was beyond that of a first class ticket too

So factor that scenario into the equation too. Services like MedJet/Global Services when traveling a distance from home might be money very well spent too.

P.S. A few years ago a co-worker was critically injured (paralyzed) while on vacation with his family to Florida. His medical insurance wouldn't cover transporting him back to Michigan. Ended up costing over 40K getting him home to a local hospital and we had to do fundraisers to help defray the costs.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
In 1990 a close friend of mine died in Zambia on the first day of a 'Buff hunt. He was in his mid 40's. He was waiting at the hunting vehicle with some trackers and hit the ground dead of a massive heart attack.

It took over 10 days to get his remains back to the USA. It might have taken longer, but his hunting partner happened to work for a federal government agency and was able to get some support from the US Embassy. The transport bill was beyond that of a first class ticket too

So factor that scenario into the equation too. Services like MedJet/Global Services when traveling a distance from home might be money very well spent too.

P.S. A few years ago a co-worker was critically injured (paralyzed) while on vacation with his family to Florida. His medical insurance wouldn't cover transporting him back to Michigan. Ended up costing over 40K getting him home to a local hospital and we had to do fundraisers to help defray the costs.

Since we have lived overseas for 90% of our marriage, I tell Cheri if I croak do whatever is the cheapest.

Pine box, local graveyard, whatever it takes. I'll hopefully be in a better place and will find a place to hunt until she gets there.

If I died in Zambia, I'd tell her to have them cremate me and give the box to the defense office at the Embassy. If it took a couple of months for what was left to get back to where she was so be it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a rather adventurous job and personal lifestyle lead me to having to do this years ago.

Then with remarrying and having younger children I had to get it in order again.

I now find from time to time we need to revisit some of these things for an update.

In 2015 and realizing we would all be traveling to Africa together I needed to modify some portions again.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
That is overly generous!

T
quote:
Big Grin

Blair, you olde dingo, please stop waisting your hard earned cash... Big Grin

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having affairs in order I suppose is part and parcel of getting older. I didn't make a will until I was 50, but then I don't have a family to worry about.

It's also worth planning for the "next-gravest extreme" with an outfit like Global Rescue or SOS International. Most hunting destination countries have partners for the big rescue companies (in Zimbabwe it's ACE Ambulance partnered with Global) and in the event of serious injury or illness that can make a big difference.