Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hunting Time in RAS / Nambia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
Just planning for future and was wondering what months are preferable for plainsgame.

Thank You

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
For Namibia and most of South Africa, May through August are prime. If I'm not mistaken, the Cape region of RSA may be a bit different. Perhaps one of our members who hunts or books hunts in the Cape can help out.

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the answer Smiler

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've heard emphasis placed on June for the kudu rut if that is an animal of great concern for you. I've seen big bulls taken well before and well after that so I'm sure it's not enormously important to stick to that time frame.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
May thru Sept.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I went to Namibia in June last year because of the kudu rut. If I had it to do over again, I'd go in July after the rut. The bulls are alone, meaning far fewer eyes during the stalk. It was tough sneaking up on a bull with his harem. Unlike elk, the kudu we hunted didn't get "sex dumb" during their rut. They may be a little tougher to locate, but I bet they'd be easier to stalk.

I've only been the one time though, so take my input for what it's worth...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I hunted in the Eastern Cape of RSA for 10 days last May. Weather was unseasonably warm, but hunting was great. I probably would have gone a little later in the season but this was my birthday present to myself and I wanted to take my first African animal on my 40th birthday.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote