New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I leave for Moz in 24 days (yahoo). I have several backpacks for travel however they are all camo. what do you reccomend for plane carry-on and possible day pack for the hunt??

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to take the largest carry on allowed with wheels. I put all optics: binoculars, range finder, cameras, video cameras and one complete change of clothes.
This usually leaves a little room to put souvieners in on the way home.
I also prefer a fanny pack for the bush.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever had a security problem with your optical equipment?

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Day pack of some sort is nice once you get there. I try not to carry camo through airports, as I think its possible to attract some undue attention.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had any problems carrying on optics on.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Friend said TSA in Tampa would not let him take a spare Rifle scope in his carry on and almost did not let him take his Range Finder.

He was able to get it in his gun case.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flown about a dozen times on hunting trips since 9/11. No issues or problems at all with any of my binos, rangefinders, cameras, or video recorders. My hunting partner has had similar results. The last 3 or 4 trips, they have specifically asked me to remove the video camera from the case, and looked at it separately thru the x-ray.

Last month's trip had 3 binos, a rangefinder, 2 cameras, video recorder, cell phones and a video game (for the wife, in blinds). They never batted an eye.

I find that if you are polite, answer their questions, and let them know where you are going that they are usually quite pleasant back to you.

If you are a jerk, however, they can be too!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also had "issues" from TSA folks about my rifle scopes being in my carry-ons.

I've gone to using a 3 1/2" piece of PVC inside of which I store my scopes, wrapped in a cloth with ends taped-off...I then put this rig in my hard case. Short of a run-over by the luggage tractor, ain't nothing going to hurt that glass!

Politeness always helps, but seems that every airport has its own interpretation of the "rules"...You never know who will cause a problem...Better to pack it with the rifle and breeze through security.

JW

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:

None on the carry on -- just went through with binos, range finder, GPS, video and digital cameras. Was never asked a question.

But -- the jerk that searched my checked baggage was a total A-hole. They sent both my bags to the x-ray cuz there was ammo in one (rifle in other- hard case). The TSA knucklehead went out of his way to literally brutalize my bag and its contents including dragging it upside down around the room and kicking it several times to get it where he wanted it. Really wish I had fired up the video camera for that one. He literally emptied the bag and then jammed everything back in. Fortunately all was ok.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:

I do the same, including videos cameras and a laptop computer.

Never had any problems whatsoever.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have used this one and been happy:

but it is a personal thing -- how much room you need will make a difference.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Charles did you get that at the store, or order it from the catalog? Sometimes they have things in the catalog that they don't stock in the stores! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I got it online. I bought a couple and then my wife bought some for the kids. Two of my three kids use them for school as they outlast the ones you get at the stores for school.

Click the words "this one" in my original post to bring up the Cabelas page with the backpack.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles, looks like a nice size for a carry-on! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are leaving for RSA on 6/29, and I'm taking the exact same pack! I've had it for a year or so I guess, and it's proven to be a great little pack. I think I only paid $15 for it from Cabela's. It doesn't have 57 little secret compartments or a night light, but it just works.

Posts: 23 | Location: Fenton, MO | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Tactical Tailors 3 day pack for all the junk I carry in the field. Mine is desert tan

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
I use a Tactical Tailors 3 day pack for all the junk I carry in the field. Mine is desert tan
Bryan I was also looking at the tactical Black Hawk in tan. Does this military special forces style pack attrack attention from TSA or SAPS??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Charles, The UPS truck just dropped off two of the German isssued backpacks I ordered from Cabelas. Thanks for the recommendation. I can't wait to break them in.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I hope you like them. One of mine has made the trip twice now.