New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 whby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a 460 weatherby be down-loaded with a 500 grain bullet to 2200-2400 safely and reliably? Is there bullet stabilization issues or other things to consider?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Curious. Why would you wish to download to those particular speeds?

I used a standard 460 for many years, and although there is huge debate over this calibre, I really enjoyed how it performed in my hands.
It is no longer my weapon of choice, although I have downgraded so to speak, to the 416 Rigby, a calibre I opine as "the best all rounder of all time".

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes you can.

Just be adventurous and try a few powders.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if one intends to use "full house" loads in the field, it is still useful to download for practice. I have found it more pleasurable to use mild loads for practice and I think it's easier on the gun and optics (as well as not shaking your fillings loose!)

The question as to whether you actually need full house 460 Wby loads in the field is a separate issue.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the load data for the .450 Rigby and work from that.

Basically, it is a rimless .460 Weatherby loaded to lower pressure right in line with what you are asking for.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! I have a 450 Dakota (darn near same case size) that I run around 2200.
And with the big case, you can also consider the 550gr Woodleighs.
If you have problems finding loads, PM me and I'll get you mine.

Neil: Why? Because 2300 is about my limit.

One time I rapidly shot a buffalo five times in rapid succession, with my Lott, 500gr at 2275. I usually don't notice recoil when shooting at game, but the fifth shot felt like a punch from Mike Tyson!

For buffalo, I'll go just over 2150. For bull ele, I would run it at 2300.

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im considering a gun that has everything I'm looking for in a big bore but the right chambering. But "downloaded" it get me in that .458 500 grain at 2400 which is what I want. So, I am running out of excuses not to buy this particular rifle.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Curious. Why would you wish to download to those particular speeds?

I used a standard 460 for many years, and although there is huge debate over this calibre, I really enjoyed how it performed in my hands.
It is no longer my weapon of choice, although I have downgraded so to speak, to the 416 Rigby, a calibre I opine as "the best all rounder of all time".

That big long 500 grain bullet moving at 2400 will do anything I need it to do including being a "stopper"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just go have your fillings checked every six months or so to see if they're still tight. Everyone reaches their limit on recoil and the .458 Lott is about mine. The speeds you are talking are about there, at least for me.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Just go have your fillings checked every six months or so to see if they're still tight. Everyone reaches their limit on recoil and the .458 Lott is about mine. The speeds you are talking are about there, at least for me.

I once had a .458 win mag that weighed 8.5 lbs. I was afraid that I couldn't shoot it accurately. I took it squirrel hunting and shot squirrels at about 20-40 yards quit consistently. But the 3 it would only hold three. So I rebarreled it to something else.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
im considering a gun that has everything I'm looking for in a big bore but the right chambering. But "downloaded" it get me in that .458 500 grain at 2400 which is what I want. So, I am running out of excuses not to buy this particular rifle.

Man up Aaron and buy it and shoot it. Decorate it with a heavy fine walnut stock and a recoil reducer if need be. In its day this was favoured calibre for many a PH.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used in twoo Mark Vs, the pre USA Made, with the Pendleton Dekicker, so effectively about a 23" barrel and with 4064.

104 grains with 500 grain Hornady was top load and super accurate (both rifles bedded and floated in fron of the barrel lug which is about an inch from the action) and 2420-2450 velocities.

Shot well with all loads and at 85 grains of 4064 the velocity in both was right on 2000 f/s and regular 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

In the 460s and reduced laods the 4064 burn rate is much nicer to shoot than backed off loads of 4350. The 4350 backed off can give very heavy "booms" and recoil. I think the very long freebore is a cause as a similar thing happens with backed off loads in the 378s with the slow powders and the 378s have the same freebore as the 460s.

A good load for higher velocity is 115 grains of 4350 and 500 grain Hornady. I have never seem an accurate 460 fail to shoot that load. RIP on Big Bores forum says the same. Velocity is right on 2500 f/s and mild pressure.

Basically 2200-2300 with a 460 is like cruising around in a big block V8 manual, it just does it so easy.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
A good load for higher velocity is 115 grains of 4350 and 500 grain Hornady. I have never seem an accurate 460 fail to shoot that load. RIP on Big Bores forum says the same. Velocity is right on 2500 f/s and mild pressure.

Yes. Either clover leaf or bughole with that load in the two 460 WBY rifles I tried it in, I used IMR-4350 before I learned of H4350 superiority.

2300 fps with most 500-grainers for a 24" barrel: 96 grains of Hodgdon VARGET, which is about an 85% Load Ratio/net fill in the 460 WBY.
Safe to use without a filler, better uniformity with a foam wad.
Work up to 100 grains of VARGET and you will be knocking on the door of 2400 fps, and still under 90% LR, with most 500-grain bullets.
Gentler recoil than same velocity loads with H4350.
Excellent ThermoBallisticIndependence too, VARGET is a Hodgdon Extreme powder, as is H4350.
VARGET would be similar to Mike's 4064 loads,
but VARGET is made in Australia, so I think he should switch to VARGET.

I now prefer the .458 WIN.MAG.Unlimited aka .458 WIN+P which will easily do 2300 fps with a 500-grain bullet in a 24" barrel,
at less pressure than the .458 Lott MAP,
with less recoil (no more than 83 grains of AA-2230) and greater magazine capacity than the 460 WBY or my current .450 Dakota and .450 Ted Williams Thumper.
The .458 WIN is a WIN win.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote