New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeffery or Gibbs ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which one would cause the most arguments ?

The 500 Jeffery or the 505 Gibbs ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Which one would cause the most arguments ?

The 500 Jeffery or the 505 Gibbs ?

Huh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My exact same reaction, huh??? Both are tremendously powerful cartridges.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people will point out the rebated
rim of the 'J' and go on from there.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you’re trying to post about either…?

I’m sure either would end an argument with a dangerous animal pretty well…

As far as which cartridge would start more arguments with members on this board I’m sure both would also do an equally good job… (I.e. the 505 is too big for most actions and has an oddball bullet diameter or the Jeff has a rebated rim and is a bitch to get to feed…blah, blah, blah…)

But I can assure you that neither will cause as much fuss as the infamous 45-70…

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I 2006 I hunted with ph Kirk Mason in Zim and he carried a well used 500J. He was extremely proficient with it and it put the big hurt on a cow elephant that was charging at 11 yards! He said when he bought it he really wanted a 505 Gibbs, but somehow (I forget the story) ended up with the Jeffery. Then last week I was reading Boddington's Safari Rifles book and saw where it appears the Jeffery actually carries a bit more punch in terms of muzzle energy. Who would have known? I do know a couple of guys with the Gibbs and they love them.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the original question makes no sense but I like both of these calibers and have been thinking about them more lately as I consider the next trip for elephant.

Two guys I respect that use the Gibbs are Richard Harland and Phil Shoemaker. Both guys have a lot of hard-earned experience and don't endorse something lightly. There is a CZ Gibbs for sale right now in the classifieds.

The Jeffery is really an interesting cartridge and my favorite of the 2 (assuming they both feed correctly). I am in comm's with SABI about their Jeffery conversions. Interesting stuff.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is no argument... after being hit by a 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs the animal is dead, with lots of overkill power... BOOM

Mike banana

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of what Will said the other day about Jeff Rann...something like "if you were hit anywhere in your body with a .577 the dust would fly off your head too." I love that! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are geat cartridges, but the Jefferys a lot easier conversion on a standard Mauser or M-70 Action..I'd probably opt for the Jefferys..

I had a wonderful 7 lb. 505 Gibbs Imp., but it kicked the snot out of me so I sold it to tough guy..He sold also, in fact it comes up for sale on Guns America, Gun Digest and a couple of other places from time to time... shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in comm's with SABI about their Jeffery conversions. Interesting stuff.

Hi YD. Look at a post by one "Mbogo 2" in classifieds placed on 10 March. Includes nice pics....

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I had missed that posting. Not really my style but they get a lot of high marks from their customers it seems.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Yukon pm sent

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM replied to.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Bussy with my 500 Jeff.

Will hopefully be shooting her later in the year..

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
My intent would be to download them to 500 Nitro levels. IMO, that level of recoil is controllable in a properly setup rifle. I see no need to run them to 2400 fps when 2100 will give you exits on the largest of game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are both a tad tough for my recoil tolarances, I can shoot them well enough but I always talk to myself when I am getting ready to pull the trigger...I say something on the order of aw shit this is gonna hurt, or nobody has ever been killed by recoil, or I dont' really like this gun...

Based on that, I shoot a .404 or 416 Rem...they have recoil compared to a maidens caress IMO, and I don't have to talk to myself anymore! beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
or nobody has ever been killed by recoil,:

but why take chances?? wave

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I have one for sale in the classifieds

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=...77102738&r=277102738

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 550 Safari Classic in 505 Gibbs LOVE THAT ROUND it is the CHARGE STOPPER I have mine loaded at around 2400 FPS and about 9800 Foot Pounds I could Hot load the case and get as much as the 577 but why hit a buff with that it look like he hit a brick wall Woodleigh in the 600gr PP work great lost 54 grains going through the buff and the other only 149grains going through the spine of the other also with Woodleigh they have the same O Jive soft and solids and set the same and fly the same .... Good luck
Cheers
Eric

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Having shot both ( 500 and 505) and owning and shooting two functional 500's all I can say they are in my opinion and hands totally impractical cartridges !

My reasoning comes from the fact that from a recoil perspective neither allows for fast accurate follow up shots !

Whilst the first shot is devastating what follows is likely less effective than a lesser recoilling cartridge that can be placed more accurately.

I have played the charging buffalo game with my 500's and in my hands and in the hands of others a lesser large bore does way way better!

Huh

These are full loads 535 grn at 2411 fps (118 grn of N140)

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jeffrey denmark; on my last elly hunt, my very experienced PH and i both cut loose on a heart shot elly as it fled. He was using a custom 458 lott 500gr loaded to 2150 fps; and i was using my 505, 600 gr loaded to 2150 fps. we started shooting at the exact same time and finished at the exact same time, 3 shots each.
the recoil level with a 500 loaded to appropriate hunting specs is not a problem for an experienced shooter with a fitted rifle but the key is lots of practice and good stock fit.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have come to the conclusion that if you can handle the recoil, there are other factors such as, what open sights you use and the position and shape of your bolt handle, that will make you shoot faster.

Practice is naturally everything, you need to practice way more with your big bore then with your average 30.06.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I haven't got a lot of experience with my 505 yet (I have fired 52 rounds so far), but out of an 11 pound rifle the 600gn Woodleigh driven at 2200 fps is quite shootable. I am going to use it in the big game rifle comp at the end of April. I may not be a fast as I am with my 338 at first, but with a bit of practice I am sure I will be able to get the special snap done (8 shots in 35 seconds).

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand Alf's point but if the first shot with a Gibbs or Jeffery hits correctly then you will immediately end almost every disagreement with whatever is advancing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Andre:

Good shooting !

But here is a test for you or anyone who wishes to argue the big is better theory and DG shooting.

Draw a rectangle, 4 inches wide, 3 inches tall on a piece of cardbaord, paint is black, thats the target, stick it 17 meter from your shooting position.

You need a IPSC timer..... take your 500 or 505 loud;nboomer one up 3 down and on the Beep start firing. ONLY THOSE BULLETS THAT HIT THE SQUARE COUNT cause in a real situation that will be the difference between down or still coming.

Now do the same with say a 9.3mm and see the difference !

Alf

Sounds like a cool experience.
I do however not have one of those IPSC timers.
On my next outing I will shoot some different guns with open sights and a scoped pre-64 in 375 H&H. The Winchester does not have the rear iron sight and finding one is next to impossible Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg Mad
It Does however have a red dot Variopoint Zeiss system.

This will be one cool video Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I understand Alf's point but if the first shot with a Gibbs or Jeffery hits correctly then you will immediately end almost every disagreement with whatever is advancing.

Wouldn't the same be true for the 9.3? Assuming we are talking about CNS shots? I think the advantage of the bigger bores is more on non-CNS shots and near misses. Of course, I am talking though my hat as I do not have the experience of many here, and although I have a 9.3 I prefer something larger in difficult circumstances. hijack

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, assuming you get the penetration. Don't get me wrong...I love the medium bores and they are much more practical. In almost every situation, they are a better idea.

In other words...I'm agreeing with Alf but taking the long way around the block. diggin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never argue with a perfect shot, and if that shot is easier with a lesser caliber then that is the route to take IMO....

In my case the recoil recovery of the big 50s is slow, but how much difference it makes I have no idea..I know that I shoot better with a 40 caliber and under.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, the factor that think plays the greatest role is the sights and the bolt handle.
I think I would shoot slower with My Mauser model M 8x57 due to the butter-handle bolt then with my .500!!!
I like the BIG bores very much and are maybe not totally objective on this Big Grin I need the excuse to use them for just about everything.
That being said, my all round rifle is still a 375 H&H Winchester pre-64 with a 2.5-10x scope. That rifle can kill at all distances.

Cheers,

André