THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll: SCI and DSC Response to Lion Incident

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: SCI and DSC Response to Lion Incident
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Getting the feedback of members of both organizations might be informative.

Question:
Are you satisfied with the reaction to date of SCI and DSC in addressing the recent lion hunting incident in Zimbabwe and the resulting commentary regarding trophy hunting generally?

Choices:
Yes
No

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC could not take action against a non-member. I do applaud the SCI suspensions. Unfortunately,they both are woefully unprepared to handle public relations nightmares of this magnitude . Neither have gone on the offensive .

It is also interesting to note that on the same day all of this hit, SCI had a mass e mail about more awards.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This would be a perfect time IMO for SCI to make a statement about trophy hunting as opposed to poaching which is what this incident with Cecil was. People that aren't rabid anti hunters are paying attention to this issue and this is an opportunity lost if SCI does nothing other than cover their ass.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Palmer guilty or innocent. I don't know. Time will tell.

If I was a member of an organization like SCI, I would hope they would stand behind me until the facts were in. If I am guilty, throw the book at me. In the meantime, have some backbone and reserve judgment until the facts come in.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
This would be a perfect time IMO for SCI to make a statement about trophy hunting as opposed to poaching which is what this incident with Cecil was. People that aren't rabid anti hunters are paying attention to this issue and this is an opportunity lost if SCI does nothing other than cover their ass.

Mark

. . . or to provide members with a fact sheet making the case for hunting and trophy hunting for members to use in discussions with friends and associates. Maybe agree to do an interview or two to provide a different perspective with media outlets. Something constructive . . . anything constructive . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark

Exactly Mark. Point out to the uninformed masses that the killing of this "Cecil" lion was conducted illegally. Therefore it was poaching, not hunting.

Reinforce the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of hunters are law abiding folks and will not stand for the breaking of game laws or poaching. Innocent until proven guilty, but if the parties are proven guilty, we as hunters will be the first ones in line to call for their punishment.

Just as with the NRA and gun rights, we don't want more laws. We want the current laws enforced. And if someone commits a crime with a gun, law abiding gun owners are the first to call for punishment under the current laws.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Perhaps,it would be advisable to remember-

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

From my perspective- This is just another black mark for SCI in my book.

IF SCI has (had) information CONFIRMING a conviction,
or
even the much less stringent level of information-say- merely an official indictment--

Suspension could be in order.

(of course now, after suspension the "indictment" by Zimbabwe is NOW imminent , and/or assumed to be-)

From my perspective-at the nascent stage at which the suspension was issued ,at best, the suspension of a member was a knee jerk reaction, in a purely self-protective manner in order to deflect criticism from the organization.

I would only hope, IF,the person in question were to be a DSC member a more measured approach would be pursued.

That being said-- these are "clubs" , they may do as they wish within their own bylaws and laws of the states within which they operate.

Those of us that frequent AR are a minority of those that hunt in Africa-
it appears to me -we often do not appreciate that fact-

Just because someone is a "club" member and/or they have "hunted Africa many times"--
we should not AUTOMATICALLY assume they are in anyway CLUED in to Zimbabwean politics, laws, and the vagaries thereof.

THE ABOVE issues are precisely why we all rely on a PH and Safari Booking company , etc, ad nauseam---

Many of those ,in fact most, busy successful individuals that hunt Africa have NEVER GRACED AR with their presence-

They are not as IN TUNE with the mores,nuances ,inferred excellence or lack thereof,
with respect to individual outfitters,booking agents, PH's,countries etc etc ---

They purely and simply want to book a hunt , complete that hunt and get back to making a living--

They DEPEND on the individuals whom they compensate to BE THE EXPERTS-

So , this has been beaten to death,

I will no doubt be chastised for my ignorance-
by the 'HE KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN" crowd--

That too is a club--

well you got the idea

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I wonder if SCI shares any responsibility in this whole thing. Was the "hunter" trying for his next Pinnacle of Achievement?
Maybe they need to start a new category for who has the most wildlife law violations. Mad

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take is that SCI should have waited until innocence or guilt is proven in a Court of Law before taking action against any and all parties involved. If guilty apply the penalty, if found not guilty SCI will look very foolish. Trial by AR/Internet does not count as a realistic reason to rush to a conclusion. I said the same when the OOA fiasco was in the forefront, and justice prevailed, same with the Cecil episode. Have a little patience folks, "time will tell" is always a good thing to let play out.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:

If I was a member of an organization like SCI, I would hope they would stand behind me until the facts were in. If I am guilty, throw the book at me. In the meantime, have some backbone and reserve judgment until the facts come in.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I wonder if SCI shares any responsibility in this whole thing. Was the "hunter" trying for his next Pinnacle of Achievement?
Maybe they need to start a new category for who has the most wildlife law violations. Mad

Someone told me he has no awards but does have 40 something critters entered into the book.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Candidly, I could care less what they have to say good or bad regarding Palmer, let them wait until 2019 to opine on his plight after a trial and all appeals have been taken . . . but the trial of hunting and trophy hunting in particular in the court of public opinion is well underway and for SCI and DSC to be saying and doing nothing in the public debate on the sport is disheartening. This is not just about Palmer and a lion in Zimbabwe, the debate and implications go far beyond that issue.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
SCI had better get off its dead duff and say something to defend our rights before PETA shows up at their next convention in January.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark

Don't hold your breath Mark.

How can SCI bigwigs think straight with their heads stuck up each others rear ends about MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS and their endless CIRCLES!

Each time a new man is elected at the top we hear that changes are coming, but they never do!

Reminds me of the sign in a restaurant: FREE BEER - TOMORROW!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68683 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My guess. They will show up at the fire after the house has largely burned to the ground. One day next week, after the well has been thoroughly poisoned by the media, they will finally show up. And in response to criticisms that they did not respond they will point to the fact that they did ignoring the fact that it was too little, too late. If this is the best hunters can do organizationally to advocate for the rights of hunters, shame on us. During a week when they should have been in the middle of the debate and dialogue they have been wringing their hands. Pitiful.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NRA Hunters Leadership Forum. They are our only hope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys sorry to hi-jack your thread / poll here, but why not add our local Zimbabwe SOAZ / zphga in here aswell, as the professional hunter at the centre of this story is a member of both our local associations.

We hv not seen any credible statement from either of them really, other than they were quick to suspend his membership. We would have thought, with what's at stake here for our hunting industry, our associations would have jumped all over this issue

1. Investigate immediately ALL the facts, systematically go through things like -:
Did they have a valid TR2 form
Did p/h have contract with the land owner
Get documentary proof of who was paid what / how much - this is needed to complete export permit application
Gps co-odds of kill site of lion
Who were all on the hunt -trackers-other p/hunter?
Who reported they had shot a collard lion to parks...

All this info would be needed when member would appear before disciplinery committee/ hearing surely?

They could have then put out a statement, and with these facts indicate which laws etc he had transgressed during the hunt. It would have given our industry a lot more credibility surely?

Instead we get some poorly prepared response with 3rd hand info.

If we were on the committee,we would have most definitely sent a team of senior professional hunters / committee members onto the ground to get ALL the facts, including an interview with professional hunter /land owner, parks guys, police etc. re-iterate to the public at large, it is not an offense to shoot a collard animal etc..

However it appears they are adopting a wait and see attitude, which in the meantime does no damage control for our industry.from our perspective they are certainly not upholding the best interests of our industry, at a time we could do with firing back at all the anti's,critics and media houses with FACTS.

But then again, that's why our associations have less than 10% of licensed hunters and guides and others as members. Ask the old school guys who are no longer members, and you will hear time and time again..."what do they do for us"

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have sent my above statement to SCI In The Cross Hairs Newsletter C/O Andrew Bird abird@safariclub.org. I encourage the rest of you to send SCI your own thoughts.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mark,

That is a great idea. I sent a letter to a member of the SCI executive committee earlier this morning making the following points:

* Very disappointed in SCI's response to date.
* This incident highlights for me everything that is wrong with SCI.
* First, we have a hunter that appears to be on a quest for the next bigger and better trophy with a number of trophy registrations already in SCI's record books (and why is he even a member after a felony conviction for wildlife law violations several years ago).
* Second, in the aftermath of the incident SCI does nothing to either defend or help its members other than Palmer.
* Why has SCI not issued a statement in support of sport hunting and the conservation and other benefits associated with sport hunting?
* Why has SCI not made itself available to and solicited slots with the various media outlets to tell the positive side of trophy hunting?
* Why has SCI not sent its members a fact sheet or information sheet to use in responding to the numerous inquiries/attacks we are all getting about sport hunting?
* Why is SCI using its Facebook page to post about insect protection for hunters and miniature rifles while this wildfire rages all around us?
* Why is SCI sending out award nomination emails the same week this debacle is unfolding?
* During a watershed event for hunting, the organization that is First for Hunters, SCI, has been missing in action.
* I am not talking about engaging on Palmer and the specifics around the lion incident, if SCI wants to let the situation with Palmer and the specifics around the lion incident play out over time so be it, but why are they not engaging on the much broader debate that is taking place over trophy hunting generally.
* SCI has failed in its crisis management efforts over this incident in my view.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how to rescind a life membership to SCI? I wonder if they'll give me my grand back...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There is a greater likelihood that they will show up on Meet the Press tomorrow to defend sport hunting than there is of getting your grand back . . . Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to really enjoy going to the SCI convention every year and also the local Wisconsin banquets. But the last few years I find that I enjoy DSC much more. I think I'll focus on them and see where they go as an organization. I don't even look at my SCI magazine anymore. I'm so sick of awards and pinnecles of achievement and seeing everyone standing there with their plaques . It makes me realize hunters at least some have lost their way. It was supposed to be about wildlife and protecting it. Now it's about inches and showing off

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Mark,

That is a great idea. I sent a letter to a member of the SCI executive committee earlier this morning making the following points:

* Very disappointed in SCI's response to date.
* This incident highlights for me everything that is wrong with SCI.
* First, we have a hunter that appears to be on a quest for the next bigger and better trophy with a number of trophy registrations already in SCI's record books (and why is he even a member after a felony conviction for wildlife law violations several years ago).
* Second, in the aftermath of the incident SCI does nothing to either defend or help its members other than Palmer.
* Why has SCI not issued a statement in support of sport hunting and the conservation and other benefits associated with sport hunting?
* Why has SCI not made itself available to and solicited slots with the various media outlets to tell the positive side of trophy hunting?
* Why has SCI not sent its members a fact sheet or information sheet to use in responding to the numerous inquiries/attacks we are all getting about sport hunting?
* Why is SCI using its Facebook page to post about insect protection for hunters and miniature rifles while this wildfire rages all around us?
* Why is SCI sending out award nomination emails the same week this debacle is unfolding?
* During a watershed event for hunting, the organization that is First for Hunters, SCI, has been missing in action.
* I am not talking about engaging on Palmer and the specifics around the lion incident, if SCI wants to let the situation with Palmer and the specifics around the lion incident play out over time so be it, but why are they not engaging on the much broader debate that is taking place over trophy hunting generally.
* SCI has failed in its crisis management efforts over this incident in my view.

Good points. Hopefully you will get a positive response, and more importantly action. I give you credit for making the effort.

In my last three emails and one phone call to SCI, I got one response. "I will have someone get back with you on that". Nothing happened. After having a membership since the 70's, I let it lapse last year. Oddly enough, I still get all their junk mail.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely. AFAICT the trail by internet may have convicted Palmer, but whether the hunt was illegal and, most importantly, did he know it was illegal are not at all clear to me at this time. As many of you know, things are not always as they seem in Zimbabwe.

I'm not defending him but he's a fellow hunter who has been thrown under the bus because he killed a lion as far as I can tell at this point. If he is guilty and had fore knowledge then he deserves it, if not, then we're eating our own and should be ashamed of ourselves. Really, how many hunters in here have stalked the boundaries of Nat. Parks, hoping one of the larger animals would cross the line?

AFA DSC's response, all I've seen is some boilerplate which basically denounced poaching, which makes sense in relation to the fire storm that has sprung up.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Absolutely. AFAICT the trail by internet may have convicted Palmer, but whether the hunt was illegal and, most importantly, did he know it was illegal are not at all clear to me at this time. As many of you know, things are not always as they seem in Zimbabwe.

I'm not defending him but he's a fellow hunter who has been thrown under the bus because he killed a lion as far as I can tell at this point. If he is guilty and had fore knowledge then he deserves it, if not, then we're eating our own and should be ashamed of ourselves. Really, how many hunters in here have stalked the boundaries of Nat. Parks, hoping one of the larger animals would cross the line?

AFA DSC's response, all I've seen is some boilerplate which basically denounced poaching, which makes sense in relation to the fire storm that has sprung up.

+100% Do we know for sure the hunter (like many) did his due diligence and knew he was poaching. That is not clear in anything I have read on this f*** up.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I thought he was Innocent until proven guilty?

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Some must be a little slow on the uptake . . . this is not about what SCI says or does not say about Palmer, it is about what SCI should be saying about trophy hunting. I guess we should all just sit around for the next four or five years while the Palmer situation sorts itself out before we engage in the fight? I do not care if SCI says another word about Palmer . . . I would like for them to say something about the thousands of other hunters that contribute millions to the cause of conservation, anti-poaching, etc.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I thought he was Innocent until proven guilty?
not in the Court of Public Opinion nor the Zimbabwean "Justice" System.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJHInes, mike i have been following your posts on this Cecil affair and the SCI's lack of a meaningful statement regarding same. I have to say I am a new SCI member and went to Vegas thisyear and was really looking forward to the '16 show. You have made me think about them maybe having a more trophy "mine is bigger than yours" mentality than a conservation and general hunting mission.

Anyway, I find your posts both thoughtful and informative. aakeep up the good work.

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - Don't consider myself "slow on the uptake". You asked what we thought about what SCI and DSC had done to date. At that point only SCI had done ANYTHING and that was suspend the client and PH. I stated I thought that was wrong. Sorry, maybe the question could have been put forth with what you really wanted to know?

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym - Glad you like the DSC Convention, simply go there, it's your choice. DSC however has done nothing on the Cecil thing either, just like most of the other organizations out there.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I used to really enjoy going to the SCI convention every year and also the local Wisconsin banquets. But the last few years I find that I enjoy DSC much more. I think I'll focus on them and see where they go as an organization. I don't even look at my SCI magazine anymore. I'm so sick of awards and pinnecles of achievement and seeing everyone standing there with their plaques . It makes me realize hunters at least some have lost their way. It was supposed to be about wildlife and protecting it. Now it's about inches and showing off

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I also have written SCI and am disgusted with their silence on this matter. The real issue here is the anti- hunting groups making political hay out of this fiasco. SCI, DSC And NRA need to media blast this for what it really is. Trial by Internet,by twinky gobbling, Animal planet watching, uneducated dummies who have tried this guy and found him guilty as well as threatened his life. Given the NSAs internet surveillance capabilies, let's demand these jokers be arrested before they commit a crime! The SCI, DSC and NRA should use this "opportunity" to point out that the real reasons Lions are endangered is because of rampant African native poaching(every goat herder, rancher etc. in Zim). These people kill Lions at a rate many times more than the Trophy hunters who's money is intended to support game management. How about a little "meet the press " discussion about bribery and corruption in Zim? Maybe a little history lesson for the great unwashed about how black "landowners" got their land in Zim by stealing it from the white farmers? Let's not forget Uncle Bobs human rights atrocities! This is the time to go on the offensive after the anti hunters, expose their agenda and tell our story! Remember in any crisis a good offense is way better than a gutless defense! We need to remind people that in this country a man is not considered guilty until proven guilty in a court of law. Of course Law in Zim isn't quite what we would expect in the US. As Joesph Goebbels once said, if you tell a big enough lie often enough 50% of the people will believe it. Let's expose their strategy for what it really is! I don't know if the guy is guilty or innocent let the facts decide the outcome. I'd still use this to our advantage to discredit the Antis! These opportunities don't come around that often!

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
I also have written SCI and am disgusted with their silence on this matter. The real issue here is the anti- hunting groups making political hay out of this fiasco. SCI, DSC And NRA need to media blast this for what it really is. Trial by Internet,by twinky gobbling, Animal planet watching, uneducated dummies who have tried this guy and found him guilty as well as threatened his life. Given the NSAs internet surveillance capabilies, let's demand these jokers be arrested before they commit a crime! The SCI, DSC and NRA should use this "opportunity" to point out that the real reasons Lions are endangered is because of rampant African native poaching(every goat herder, rancher etc. in Zim). These people kill Lions at a rate many times more than the Trophy hunters who's money is intended to support game management. How about a little "meet the press " discussion about bribery and corruption in Zim? Maybe a little history lesson for the great unwashed about how black "landowners" got their land in Zim by stealing it from the white farmers? Let's not forget Uncle Bobs human rights atrocities! This is the time to go on the offensive after the anti hunters, expose their agenda and tell our story! Remember in any crisis a good offense is way better than a gutless defense! We need to remind people that in this country a man is not considered guilty until proven guilty in a court of law. Of course Law in Zim isn't quite what we would expect in the US. As Joesph Goebbels once said, if you tell a big enough lie often enough 50% of the people will believe it. Let's expose their strategy for what it really is! I don't know if the guy is guilty or innocent let the facts decide the outcome. I'd still use this to our advantage to discredit the Antis! These opportunities don't come around that often!

Agree

My View: We as Hunters need to learn to Navigate this Pitchfork Society we now live in. All the groups that are supposed to represent our interests must learn to get ahead of and DOMINATE the narrative. The mob mentality and media driven world we live in tells people what to think. They are no longer capable of thinking on their own.

In light of this recent debacle, I no longer feel SCI can be the unifying standard bearer for all of hunting. With their awards system and head in the sand attitude, they are essentially tone deaf to what is happening in the real world. We are getting our ass kicked by the shrill minority of anti-hunters. Apparently pressing the "like" button or making shitty comments on Facebook now passes for activism in our world. Rest assured we are dealing with people that are so ignorant of Africa and African hunting it boggles the mind. But also just assuredly ignorance bars no one from having an opinion and often the amount of knowledge is inversely proportional to the strength of the opinion. Tolerance is gone in our society. If you do something I don't like, I hate you and you must die. When did this become ok?

Going forward what has to happen: : NRA has to step up to the plate. We have to engage the social media battle. We need to engage at times other than times of crisis. At times of crisis, we need to dominate and steer the narrative. Hearts and minds. The ecological and conservation values of hunting have to be pounded out constantly. We have to denounce Walter Palmer and his ilk and all they stand for. I do find it interesting that both of the medical "professionals" involved in these high profile lion poaching incidents have had ethical and legal issues in their practices.

Likely the battle for African hunting is lost. SCI in it's Smug arrogance refused to change. NRA while ramping up for hunting is slow to the table. I have hope but it is shaken. I spent so much time on the 4 days I took off from work engaging friends , acquaintances, and idiots about Cecil the lion, I feel I missed time with my family. I will continue to fight. It is not in my nature to back down or walk away. I just wish I could see a glimmer of hope or reinforcements on the horizon.

Apologies to Mr. Jines, Mr. Shores and Mr. Williams if this is redundant.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently pressing the "like" button or making shitty comments on Facebook now passes for activism in our world.

The sad truth is that it takes as much effort to start a ban on lion hunting as it does to forward the latest cat video - and as much thought. 160K 'likes' is one thing, 160K letters hitting the doorstep of USFW et al, is quite another. It's a pathetic shame that such flippant actions are considered worthwhile.

And it's why Mike is right when he calls for SCI to get ahead of the situation. But as I said in another post, I wonder how reluctant they will be since it will likely mean opening the books wider than they might want. Persistent, regular, undeniable information is what needs to happen. The major orgs will simply cease to exist, while having done nothing to save themselves (or hunting) besides making a symbolic move of suspending a membership that in truth means nothing anyway.

I must say when I was at SCI a few years ago, and even as a hunter it made me wonder what their true purpose was.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Candidly, I could care less what they have to say good or bad regarding Palmer, let them wait until 2019 to opine on his plight after a trial and all appeals have been taken . . . but the trial of hunting and trophy hunting in particular in the court of public opinion is well underway and for SCI and DSC to be saying and doing nothing in the public debate on the sport is disheartening. This is not just about Palmer and a lion in Zimbabwe, the debate and implications go far beyond that issue.

+1
......and the trial in the court of public opinion unfortunately involves many ignorant hunters who know NOTHING about hunting in Africa, but nonetheless feel free to pile on and offer their uniformed opinions to anyone who will listen. The Virginia Pilot, my local newspaper in Norfolk, Virginia ran an article in the Sunday paper entitled "Cecil the lion's cowardly killer should not be called a hunter". Mind you this article was written by the hunting / fishing "expert" for the newspaper who generally writes decent pieces. Along with condemning the shooter, it questioned baiting for game, dragging bait to attract animals etc. The writer had clearly never hunted in Africa nor had any knowledge of how it is done. However, that did not stop him from publishing his ill informed piece. When I took these issues on with the author, I was told I did not understand the gist of the article - yeah, right.
When I was out at my local rifle range this weekend I also overheard several shooters saying things like "well, I have never hunted in Africa, but....(fill in whatever uninformed opinion you like here). I am not sure relaying my first hand experience with Zimbabwe did anything to change their minds.
The point is, DSC, SCI, the NRA, and all other organization we support should be putting out a blitz campaign with facts of what happened, what is legal, and where responsibility lies. We all know there are less than honest PHs out there. How can these organizations stay silent and let one guy (the PH involved) bring down the rest of the industry in the eyes of the public??? I fear this event will cause long lasting damage for all African hunting. Only time will tell.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not only a attack on hunting but gun ownership also. Reminds me of the bullshit in Ferguson Mo, guilty by public opinon.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I just renewed my membership to both organizations and am encouraging friends and family to do the same. Regardless of the current handling of the crisis, a membership drive is needed now and for awhile to come. Especially for those who hunt but don't see this affecting them. Bitching and moaning is a stress relief but don't do much good. My hope is these org. are in deep council hashing and planning right now and some fresh/new members will help prepare an agenda. We all know folks who Hunt but aren't members. Let's get em on board

Posts: 3512 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. The proper response for either organization would have been to make a statement that they do not condone poaching in any form or fashion and that they support responsible conservation, including habitat conservation, game studies, ethical and sustainable hunting and anti-poaching efforts.

If Palmer, the PH and/or outfitter conducted anything illegal, they represent what DSC and SCI stand against, not the conservation efforts those organizations embrace.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole incident is very fluid, with the "facts" changing daily. I will gladly stand corrected if what I say here proves to be in error. But:
Walter Palmer's SCI membership was suspended on an emergency basis pending investigation, not revoked. Much like an administrative leave for govt. or law enforcement personnel under investigation.
Palmer reportedly took a lion in the past, therefore he did not need this one to qualify for another level of award.
An AR poster stated that Palmer had a felony conviction for poaching a bear in his home state. Not likely a felony, since a felony would have cost him his right to own a firearm, and likely his professional license as well.
Both SCI and NRA have fact sheets available that articulate the benefits of gun ownership and hunting. If an individual does not know the facts, or does not have the information in e or hard copy, it is the individual's fault, not the organization's.
Whenever there is an event like Sandy Hook or Aurora, the NRA does not immediately respond. This is to respect the victims and their families, and to allow time to get the facts of the case. "No comment at this time." is most often the correct initial response.
Regardless of the fact that some members here despise SCI, and agree with the Paul Watson diatribe, the article is chock full of errors, not the least of which is that he can't even get SCI's name correct. Watson's credibility can, and should be, impeached and crippled whenever possible.
I have stated this before: expressing an opinion about anything on AR does nothing to further our cause as hunters. Traditional media, social media, and participation within the local community provides a real face on what is demonized as the "gun lobby," "trophy hunters", etc., etc.
It would be foolish to criticize DSC for much of anything. Palmer is allegedly not a member, so little more could be done beyond the issuance of a statement that DSC condones only legal and ethical hunting, and will not comment until the facts are all in.
I personally would like to see this forum require a login to read our postings as well as to post. I believe it would cut down on our opponents ability to gather ammunition to use against us, and would allow abusers to be removed.
As long as I feel that SCI does more good than harm, I will continue to be a member. It is better to work for change within an organization than from the outside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure it is good to have a lobby and SCI habe its own merits but the reaction by SCI to the Cecil emergency is disappointing. I was never impressed with all these award things but now is the time to adjust to modern times i.e. put conservation and not inch collecting forward.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
This whole incident is very fluid, with the "facts" changing daily. I will gladly stand corrected if what I say here proves to be in error. But:
Walter Palmer's SCI membership was suspended on an emergency basis pending investigation, not revoked. Much like an administrative leave for govt. or law enforcement personnel under investigation.
Palmer reportedly took a lion in the past, therefore he did not need this one to qualify for another level of award.
An AR poster stated that Palmer had a felony conviction for poaching a bear in his home state. Not likely a felony, since a felony would have cost him his right to own a firearm, and likely his professional license as well.
Both SCI and NRA have fact sheets available that articulate the benefits of gun ownership and hunting. If an individual does not know the facts, or does not have the information in e or hard copy, it is the individual's fault, not the organization's.
Whenever there is an event like Sandy Hook or Aurora, the NRA does not immediately respond. This is to respect the victims and their families, and to allow time to get the facts of the case. "No comment at this time." is most often the correct initial response.
Regardless of the fact that some members here despise SCI, and agree with the Paul Watson diatribe, the article is chock full of errors, not the least of which is that he can't even get SCI's name correct. Watson's credibility can, and should be, impeached and crippled whenever possible.
I have stated this before: expressing an opinion about anything on AR does nothing to further our cause as hunters. Traditional media, social media, and participation within the local community provides a real face on what is demonized as the "gun lobby," "trophy hunters", etc., etc.
It would be foolish to criticize DSC for much of anything. Palmer is allegedly not a member, so little more could be done beyond the issuance of a statement that DSC condones only legal and ethical hunting, and will not comment until the facts are all in.
I personally would like to see this forum require a login to read our postings as well as to post. I believe it would cut down on our opponents ability to gather ammunition to use against us, and would allow abusers to be removed.
As long as I feel that SCI does more good than harm, I will continue to be a member. It is better to work for change within an organization than from the outside.

Good points Tim.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote