Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:

The main body of Lake Tahoe does not freeze. The stored heat in the Lake's massive amount of water compared to its relative surface area prevents the Lake from reaching freezing temperature under the prevailing climatic conditions.

I forgot how deep it was.
I understand it has the record for the lake with the most unrecovered bodies on the planet though.

If they are unrecovered, how does anyone know how many there are?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:

The main body of Lake Tahoe does not freeze. The stored heat in the Lake's massive amount of water compared to its relative surface area prevents the Lake from reaching freezing temperature under the prevailing climatic conditions.

I forgot how deep it was.
I understand it has the record for the lake with the most unrecovered bodies on the planet though.

If they are unrecovered, how does anyone know how many there are?

This is beginning to sound like the bullet that killed the animal but failed clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always fun to visit Cabela's, and there is one in Reno. That's one of the first places I stop.

Posts: 448 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I sent you an idea by PM. I live just 2 hours from Reno, so can probably help you out if interested.

Posts: 3910 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"I guess whiskey and hooker's isn't an option?"

You can get those anywhere. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
I guess whiskey and hooker's isn't an option?

I am prepared to pay for good whiskey

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only good whisky in the USA is...imported scotch.. Big Grin

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
The only good whisky in the USA is...imported scotch.. Big Grin

archer

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You can kill some time in the National Automobile Museum.

https://www.yelp.fr/biz/nation...tomobile-museum-reno

Or go look at some of the works of one of the first and greatest wildlife artists:

https://www.nevadaart.org/art/...tions/after-audubon/

Americans like to party as much as anyone, and I would venture that they are a lot more creative about it than anyone. Check out The Rack:

http://therackreno.com/

What we call "bars" or "saloons" are, in general, a great place for you to do some "American watching". If they call themselves a "pub" it's just pretentious bullshit. Just Google "10 best bars in Reno" for a head-start.

But Top Ten doesn't mean I would like it. Try the Polo Lounge and let us know if it's any good.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the tours that SCI has on the convention website? Looking at Lake Tahoe or Virginia City. I assume bus picks up at hotel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
It's always fun to visit Cabela's, and there is one in Reno. That's one of the first places I stop.

Hell I've been to Reno three times and never knew that. I guess I'll have to look it up if I go again in Sep.

Cameron

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's outside of Reno about 25 miles. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I dunno I hear Pappy Van Winkle is pretty good if you can get it Big Grin

Absent that, try Booker's Kentucky straight bourbon if you want a good "American Whiskey"

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend the 12 year Lot B Van Winkle.

EH Taylor is quality.

Posts: 12221 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Now we are talking

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Now we are talking

Andrew,

Some vital information here:

http://mentalfloss.com/article...-whiskey-and-bourbon

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Now we are talking

Andrew,

Some vital information here:

http://mentalfloss.com/article...-whiskey-and-bourbon

If its brown its going down.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I live in Reno so feel free to PM me.

As other's have mentioned Tahoe is good for skiing. There is some truly great fishing out at Pyramid Lake and I've got a number of friends who fish out there regularly who would be happy to take you out, no need to do a commercial charter.

As far as bars and restaurants go the following are my suggestions:

Clary's - directly across from the Peppermill, basic food but done well and their breakfast is good.

Brick's - a couple of blocks north of the Peppermill, hunter friendly and good food.

Beaujolais Bistro - In the downtown area, excellent food.

As far as bars go the following are my suggestions:

Corrigan's - no food but good drinks and a good local crowd.

Forty Mile Saloon - good drinks and a good local crowd as well.

Chapel Tavern - probably a bit more upscale than the other two bars with a great drink menu but the chance of running into a millennial with a man bun is good. The owner is a good guy.

With a bit of notice I can take some time to set some things up for you or take you around.

By the way, Clary's, The Forty, and Corrigan's all serve Underberg.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
Andrew, I live in Reno so feel free to PM me.

As other's have mentioned Tahoe is good for skiing. There is some truly great fishing out at Pyramid Lake and I've got a number of friends who fish out there regularly who would be happy to take you out, no need to do a commercial charter.

As far as bars and restaurants go the following are my suggestions:

Clary's - directly across from the Peppermill, basic food but done well and their breakfast is good.

Brick's - a couple of blocks north of the Peppermill, hunter friendly and good food.

Beaujolais Bistro - In the downtown area, excellent food.

As far as bars go the following are my suggestions:

Corrigan's - no food but good drinks and a good local crowd.

Forty Mile Saloon - good drinks and a good local crowd as well.

Chapel Tavern - probably a bit more upscale than the other two bars with a great drink menu but the chance of running into a millennial with a man bun is good. The owner is a good guy.

With a bit of notice I can take some time to set some things up for you or take you around.

By the way, Clary's, The Forty, and Corrigan's all serve Underberg.

That is very kind of you indeed and I will PM you shortly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew! I just moved to Reno for a new job, and we've got a guest room and a spare car. Samantha and I would be happy to be a home base for you. I'll be working most of the time, but would be freaking stoked to have you stay with us or use gear/ guns/ car/ fishing rods, etc.

I've crashed at your place, would be happy to return the favor. Let me know when we can expect you.

I don't know the area well yet, but can outfit you for fun and decent whiskey. :-)
Chris

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sally's Dad:
Hi Andrew! I just moved to Reno for a new job, and we've got a guest room and a spare car. Samantha and I would be happy to be a home base for you. I'll be working most of the time, but would be freaking stoked to have you stay with us or use gear/ guns/ car/ fishing rods, etc.

I've crashed at your place, would be happy to return the favor. Let me know when we can expect you.

I don't know the area well yet, but can outfit you for fun and decent whiskey. :-)
Chris

Email sent.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
What do you hunt and where?
2 days at stillwather outfitters bobcat and some exotixs Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew - do you have a booth number yet for Reno? Would like to stop bye for a chat. Doctari

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
Andrew - do you have a booth number yet for Reno? Would like to stop bye for a chat. Doctari

3483 and look forward to it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of you folks aren't speaking kindly of my home town at all! Big Grin

There's a lot to do around Reno (and, BTW, Tahoe's cute 'n all, but visit Pyramid Lake and try for one of those 24" trout) but you need some local knowledge. You can hire a car and drive "The Loneliest Road in America", Highway 50 to Sand Mountain and Spencer Hot Springs. You can visit Virginia City, or go up Lagomarsino Canyon where there are great petroglyphs. And there's the Bunny Ranch! Cool

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
Many of you folks aren't speaking kindly of my home town at all! Big Grin

There's a lot to do around Reno (and, BTW, Tahoe's cute 'n all, but visit Pyramid Lake and try for one of those 24" trout) but you need some local knowledge. You can hire a car and drive "The Loneliest Road in America", Highway 50 to Sand Mountain and Spencer Hot Springs. You can visit Virginia City, or go up Lagomarsino Canyon where there are great petroglyphs. And there's the Bunny Ranch! Cool

Sounds great and AR has done me well.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal