Find
Notify
Tools

Who Backs Up the PH?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
It strikes me as a bit funny to read the responses typed from the comfort of a climate controled room, in an upholstered chair, on a computer linked to the internet, with the guaranteed safety of the anonimnity of the WWW, proclaiming valiant stands against all hazards of the DG variety.

I don't doubt many would like to believe they would. Certainly many have stood their ground. When proclaiming fearlessness via the internet does one smack the keyboard keys with extra bravado also?

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
It strikes me as a bit funny to read the responses typed from the comfort of a climate controled room, in an upholstered chair, on a computer linked to the internet, with the guaranteed safety of the anonimnity of the WWW, proclaiming valiant stands against all hazards of the DG variety.

I don't doubt many would like to believe they would. Certainly many have stood their ground. When proclaiming fearlessness via the internet does one smack the keyboard keys with extra bravado also?
Roll Eyes coffee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36845 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted dangerous game,planning on doing so the end of this year,if I can find a hunt priced to suit my budget,
I think that the moment of truth for me will be when I am in the field and a situation arises,would I run or stay,I do not know,I would like to think that I would bravely face whatever comes my way,but then who would'nt,but if I did break and run,would I be a coward? hell no,just means I would be back next year and do better,you live and learn !!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That's a great point Bal. I had a friend that ran the first time he faced a mock charge by an elephant cow in thick brush. He learned from the experience. Later that same day there was another close call and he stood his ground solid as a rock. No one really knows how they will react the first time it happens to them but everyone can live and learn.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is a very good thread that really has only one answer, and IMO that is you will never know for sure till it happens!
It is my belief, however, that you are far safer, standing your ground, than you are running. The PH being in trouble is no more in trouble than you, if you are side by side, and two people shooting, to me, just seems is far more likely to stop what ever is coming, than one running and the other shooting.

All that said, can a person predict what he will do in a life threatening situation? He absolutely cannot till the moment of truth!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that, morally and ethically, a client is obliged to stand with the PH if a charge situation develops. After all, you are the reason he is out there with you in the first place.

The PH telling you to stay behind while he sorts out the buffalo or leopard you gutshot after the fact is another matter.

To cut and run when a charge develops, leaving the PH and the unarmed trackers to fend for themselves is very bad form.

On my '08 hunt with Alan Shearing (my first ever ele hunt) in Chewore South I had a talk with myself and vowed, no matter what happened, I would not run if we got charged. I was sure I would never have to cash that chit.

Sure enough, next day we got charged by a cow with a calf. She came to within an eyelash of sorting us out. I believe the fact we were standing on a small hill saved us from harm. The sitation developed so fast that it seemed very surreal. Alan was standing to my right and Shaun Buffee was on my left with his video camera, filming the whole thing.
Truth be told, I think I was too dumb and inexperienced to run. I remember telling myself to let Alan shoot first. The video shows how very close she got before she was stopped.

It is all very academic until it really happens to you. If it does, I hope you have thought about why it is called DG hunting beforehand, have considered your obligations, and that you do not get stepped on or scratched.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It is unthinkable that any man should turn and run when his PH has chosen to stand his ground. That is the very definition of cowardice.

I would have no respect for anyone who did that, although I suppose that redemption might be possible.

Hemingway wrote well about such an incident in The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Head Trauma:
I believe that, morally and ethically, a client is obliged to stand with the PH if a charge situation develops. After all, you are the reason he is out there with you in the first place.

The PH telling you to stay behind while he sorts out the buffalo or leopard you gutshot after the fact is another matter.

To cut and run when a charge develops, leaving the PH and the unarmed trackers to fend for themselves is very bad form.

On my '08 hunt with Alan Shearing (my first ever ele hunt) in Chewore South I had a talk with myself and vowed, no matter what happened, I would not run if we got charged. I was sure I would never have to cash that chit.

Sure enough, next day we got charged by a cow with a calf. She came to within an eyelash of sorting us out. I believe the fact we were standing on a small hill saved us from harm. The sitation developed so fast that it seemed very surreal. Alan was standing to my right and Shaun Buffee was on my left with his video camera, filming the whole thing.
Truth be told, I think I was too dumb and inexperienced to run. I remember telling myself to let Alan shoot first. The video shows how very close she got before she was stopped.

It is all very academic until it really happens to you. If it does, I hope you have thought about why it is called DG hunting beforehand, have considered your obligations, and that you do not get stepped on or scratched.

I saw the video (thanks). That cow got real close. Another step or two and she would have been on you guys. Smiler

Points out the need for using enough gun to knock an elephant down, eh?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not at all.

It points to not hitting in the right place, regardless of caliber.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67410 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not at all.

Touche tu2

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will, amen brother.

Alan was using a 458WM with 500gr TBS factory ammo, I was using a 458 Lott with Barnes 500gr flat nosed solid handloads at 2200fps.

We both missed the brain. Alans shot staggered her but she was still moving forward. My shot not only stopped her but flung her backwards down the hill. When her head snapped back when my bullet impacted, her trunk flipped up and just missed me.

We cannot beat the " bolt vs double" dead horse on this one, but "use enough gun" definitely applies Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not at all.

Saeed, Saeed, Saeed, my friend!

As fully explained in my next book (out in about a month ... hint, hint, hint) I go into great detail about elephants and elephant hunting, and elephant guns.

Very few charging elephant get brained. By using enough gun you can knock down an elephant, an event that has saved a bunch of would-be elephant hunters.

You can't do that with buff, since even a close miss on a brain shot on buffalo has no effect, or at least I've never seen it or even heard of it (you may have a different opinion of that).

Just gotta use enough gun on elephant.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
How many times do you have to quote the legendary Pondoro Taylor's admonition:

"Obviously, therefore, if the bullet is not too accurately placed, the heavier the blow that it delivers the greater the certainty of knocking the animal down and permitting of a second shot being fired . . . If you are sufficiently interested in the subject to look up the records, you will find that in the vast majority of cases where men are killed or injured by elephant in Africa, that such men were either using rifles throwing very light bullets or else cheap, mass-production weapons which let them down at the critical moment. . . The mere capacity to kill, alone, is not enough. Before a rifle can be termed a safe, suitable and satisfactory weapon for elephant, it must have sufficient power to knock down an elephant under all conditions. 'Shock', as applied to heavy massive-boned animals like elephant, does not refer to killing power, but to the ability of the rifle to knock the animal down. And this is where so many men go astray."

Thus it was said, thus it was written. Can I get an Amen please?

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

"Obviously, therefore, if the bullet is not too accurately placed, the heavier the blow that it delivers the greater the certainty of knocking the animal down and permitting of a second shot being fired . . . If you are sufficiently interested in the subject to look up the records, you will find that in the vast majority of case where men are killed or injured by elephant in Africa, that such men were either using rifles throwing very light bullets or else cheap, mass-production weapons which let them down at the critical moment. . . The mere capacity to kill, alone, is not enough. Before a rifle can be termed a safe, suitable and satisfactory weapon for elephant, it must have sufficient power to knock down an elephant under all conditions. 'Shock', as applied to heavy massive-boned animals like elephant, does not refer to killing power, but to the ability of the rifle to knock the animal down. And this is where so many men go astray."

And so it shall be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"You, Mr Bad Shot Client" do not have to go on the follow up.....so, tell me. what kind of person is it that does NOT go???
On another BB, I got into an argument with a person who said Greeff was just doing what "any" of us would do if they saw a son/step son being attacked by a wounded Leopard. He would not belive me when I told him "If you have not been there, don't make assumptions".

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Obviously, therefore, if the bullet is not too accurately placed, the heavier the blow that it delivers the greater the certainty of knocking the animal down and permitting of a second shot being fired . . . If you are sufficiently interested in the subject to look up the records, you will find that in the vast majority of cases where men are killed or injured by elephant in Africa, that such men were either using rifles throwing very light bullets or else cheap, mass-production weapons which let them down at the critical moment. . . The mere capacity to kill, alone, is not enough. Before a rifle can be termed a safe, suitable and satisfactory weapon for elephant, it must have sufficient power to knock down an elephant under all conditions. 'Shock', as applied to heavy massive-boned animals like elephant, does not refer to killing power, but to the ability of the rifle to knock the animal down. And this is where so many men go astray."

Amen.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plenty of people here have made a point of saying they were scared. Personally, I am about as scared of lion as a person could be.

The most devastatingly effective hand to hand guys I have seen all said they were frightened of taking a beating and that's why they were so ruthless at disposing of the opponent/s first.

I don't see a lot of chest-thumping on AR in this topic. But just because you may be bloody scared does not mean you're going to turn tail and run. In many cases it enables you to fight harder with more clarity of thought as the adrenaline slows time down.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
quote:

Plenty of people here have made a point of saying they were scared. Personally, I am about as scared of lion as a person could be.

The most devastatingly effective hand to hand guys I have seen all said they were frightened of taking a beating and that's why they were so ruthless at disposing of the opponent/s first.

I don't see a lot of chest-thumping on AR in this topic. But just because you may be bloody scared does not mean you're going to turn tail and run. In many cases it enables you to fight harder with more clarity of thought as the adrenaline slows time down.

So very well said Milo. You may be about as scared of lions as a person could be, but I am as scared of them as a person could be!
Once, when involved in a fairly hair-raising encounter with an elephant cow, I told Mr Roger Whittall how scared I had been. He said that only a fool does not feel fear, and that it is fear that will give a man clarity and courage and keep him alive. There is a fundamental difference between fear and cowardice. Anyway, my confession to Mr Whittall was not entirely accurate, because at the time I did not feel anything, it all happened way too fast. The fear came after the event when I realized what difference a second or two could make... Does this make any sense?
I like Tom In Tennessee's comment re the John Greeff incident - you can't know what you'd do until you've been there...People react differently to extreme danger. I know John Greeff and I know he would have reacted the same way if anyone was in the same situation as his stepson was.

Amen, Pondoro, Mike, Will etc...Bigger the better when it comes to elephant. Stop it, knock it down, give yourself time....My brother has just stepped up from a 500 to a 577

Cheers, David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
.My brother has just stepped up from a 500 to a 577

I thought PH's were fearless. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
.My brother has just stepped up from a 500 to a 577

I thought PH's were fearless. Smiler

They are when carrying a 577!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My favorite retreater is Harm Gross from the "Boddington on Elephant" video. He fairly prances out of the scene leaving the PH to do whatever needs to be done to the charging cow.

The next time ol' Harm is exhibiting bravado toward the upcoming hunt although it seems the PH may have actually killed the elephant they later encountered.

Harm seems to have no problem with that however as he poses with "his" trophy.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Is Harm the Canadian hunting with his wife or significant other wearing a goofy hat? I think he is the guy from the TAA episode where the PH threw the rock at the cow and she exploded.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Harm the Canadian hunting with his wife or significant other wearing a goofy hat? I think he is the guy from the TAA episode where the PH threw the the rocket cow and she exploded .

I had to read that a couple of times to figure out what you meant. For a second I had visions of the PH shoting a cow with an RPG.
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when your iPad does auto correct and you are not paying attention!

Mike

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I don't know if he is Canadian but he definately had a goofy hat and there was a woman on the hunt.

And yes, the ph - Mike Payne of Chifuti Safaris did throw something at the cow.

The next hunt Harm is featured loading his double rifle (which he always carries pointing directly at the ph's butt) with what appears to be factory ammo and stating "Time to load up - ya never know - might see a big bull elephant out there."

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scott

No different than what you do over in the PF, From the saftey of your keyboard, at least be consistant.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Mike,
I don't know if he is Canadian but he definately had a goofy hat and there was a woman on the hunt.

And yes, the ph - Mike Payne of Chifuti Safaris did throw something at the cow.

The next hunt Harm is featured loading his double rifle (which he always carries pointing directly at the ph's butt) with what appears to be factory ammo and stating "Time to load up - ya never know - might see a big bull elephant out there."

That guy gets me every time, it is one thing to bolt like that but his comments afterward kill me.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Forgive me to ask – however – doesn't backing up take place when PH is taken out?

Anyway – first of - Hats off to PH for dragging along the client (that fluffed a 30m shot on a perfect broad standing animal) on a wounded buff follow up – I mean what can one expect from a backup like that?

Secondly – ever been in a fight? – any fight as a matter?
Since things can go southern than a south in a blink of an eye - are you ready to live up to crap you may stirred?

As a couple of guys suggested – one never knows unless he’s been there and you don’t’ know until it is over. I know of a follow up on a wounded buff that ended like – PH got tossed when client joined the fuss just managing to shoot the PH that was wrestling with buff – seeing that, poor client guy snapped…tracker had to pull the rifle from his hands to end the story.

It could happen to anyone – so speaking just to myself – I better be careful what I wish for...

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that is part of our genetic makeup; the desire to place oneself in harm's way. To feel the adrenaline rush, and then hope to handle the job well.

I remember in Jump School the old quote was: "the reason Paratrooper School takes three weeks. First week we separate the men from the boys. Second week we separate the men from the fools. Third week all those fools jump out of a perfectly good airplane.".
I will cheerfully admit the reason I think the stick leaders all wore at least size 14 boots. To help your apprehensive young ass out of that airplane. We were all scared, anyone who wasn't was a fool. I saw more than one troop get a boost out of the plane.

Facing Dangerous Game adds real "pucker power" to your day.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because someone runs on their first charge by a DG animal doesn't necessarily mean that they are cowards. Maybe we are going too far to call them that. I would say that the majority of DG hunters are on their first DG hunt. They really don't know what to expect and it is usually the unknown that frightens us the most. Some of us have the advantage of having experience facing life or death situations such as police officers making a armed suspect arrest, a fireman going into a fire, a first responder (EMT) knowing that his actions could mean someone's life, or a combat vet facing enemy fire. Those of us that have had these experiences have a pretty good idea of how we will react. Joe average doesn't have that experience to help him or her.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I will cheerfully admit the reason I think the stick leaders all wore at least size 14 boots. To help your apprehensive young ass out of that airplane. We were all scared, anyone who wasn't was a fool. I saw more than one troop get a boost out of the plane.

How about some levity. Reminds me of a joke. A young airborne recruit was on leave and explaining to his buddies his experiences in jump school. Of course, everyone wanted to know about his first jump. The young recruit explained that after the plane took off and reached altitude, the jump master gave the command for everyone to "stand up". The recruit said he stood up. Then the jump master gave the command for everyone to "hook up", and the recruit said that he dutifully hooked up. Finally, the recruit said the jump master told them to "stand in the door". When it came time for the recruit to jump, he said he froze in the door. At that point the recruit said that the jump master then leaned forward and whispered something in his ear. The buddies asked, "what did he say?" The recruit replied, "he told me that if I did not jump he was going to stick his rifle barrel up my ass." "Wow", the buddies said, "did you jump?" "Just a little at first," replied the recruit.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was always told the cost of hunting DG was expensive because of the danger the PH is putting himself in, well I guess he must just earn his keep. It is like the National Guardsmen that signed up and like the weekend pay and benifits and then the Shit hit the fan aka Iraq etc.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I done see a choice for me. It is stand your ground until the last possible second. It is about doing the right thing and not leaving someone else to sort out your mess. It is also about bravery. All I can think of is the line from a John Wayne movie that says something like: "Bravery is about being scared to death but saddeling up anyway." That may not be an exact quote but the meaning is there. Lastly, for me, I cant run far or fast so am much better off standing my ground. Nothing wrong with a little tuck and roll or other evasive move at the last moment to try and get out of harms way but much better to face whatever is trying to make you a wet spot in the grass. Hopefully it never gets that close but you never know. I know I need to shoot straight in these tyoes of situations because I sure as hell am not going t outrun them. Besides, it just isnt my nature to cut and run.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turning tail and running is not an option. Like several here, not running isn't just do to my my intestinal fortitude. Like many here, I can't run,, sort of a fast walk or "hop" at best,only one functional knee, football, surgerys etc., I have the talk with the Ph before the hunt starts, he needs to know my physical capabilities or when it comes to running, my limitations. It may keep him a little farther away checking out animals when he knows I can't run, and he better stick with me, because he is stuck with me! I got to stand my ground and shoot.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Excellent point on many folks just never having been tested. I learned real fast in my time as a big city cop that there are very few new guys who could be trusted to stand firm when it hit the fan. Over time you knew who could be counted on and the highest compliment you could give someone was to say that you would "go through any door with that guy". Those were the folks that had the combination of bravery, weapons skills, and most importantly, experience to see a situation through to the end. A hunter getting out of the way of a dangerous animal that he has NO experience dealing with is not necessarily cowardice, its just a good dose of self preservation kicking in when the situation overwhelms your skill set and experience.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
I have an excellent video of a very well known PH(who posts on AR) doing a Ben Johnson impression with an extremely pissed off female warthog hot on his heel. Granted there were no clients around. I will ask said PH if I can post it on AR. He is a good lad and has stood down many many charges from Buff, Ele etc....but that lil wartie had him running and squealing like the best of them(I think she fancied him)

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH in a buff and whatever hunt with whom I became friendly over the course of a month Many years ago) told me about a client who unexpectedly fired at about near 100 yards at a buff. He succeeded in ticking off the buff who whirled and charged. The "client" ran for the truck -after saying -"He's your problem". I laughed when the PH told me this story but he insisted it was true. Nowadays, I still think the PH was not lying. I'm with the posters who say that a man is supposed to stand with the PH and confront the common danger. I used to tell American friends that a PH is not like a North American "guide". He doesn't "guide" me. He is a bodyguard. Well, even a bodyguard wants some support when the balloon goes up!

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More levity---Greeff and I were following up on a twice wounded Lion (another long story about a scope being off and too dark for crosshairs on second shot...anyway), the tracker saw some good fresh prints in the sand turning into a Jess thicket and moved behind John and I. We took a deep breath, a couple of steps and the Lion gave that godawful roar from perhaps 15 yds at the most....he could not come due to the thickness of the Jess he had looped into to watch his back trail and front leg and shoulder wounds. The game scout was a wiry old highly experienced Chirisa Scout. It was around 200 yds to the bakkie. Dustin,very pizzed off at being made stay there at 15, says the scout should be entered in the Olympics for both the dash and the high jump as he jumped into the bed. We suggested he stay in the bakkie to guard Dustin with which he readily agreed!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote