THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Recoverd Barnes .470NE 500gr solid and X.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Recoverd Barnes .470NE 500gr solid and X.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks for the pictures...Looks like very good performance.

I am heading to Tanzania this Saturday. Taking a 458 Lott with 500 grain Barnes Triple Shocks and Solids loaded to a nomial 2250 and a 375 H&H with same bullets in 270 grain wt. Hopefully, I will get similar terminal performance.

I am getting great accuracy out of the Triple Shock (much more than is needed on a big bore). I shot the 375 H&H with the TSX 270 grain yesterday at 100 yds. Printed a 3 shot group that had an "outside" spread of .4"...center to center...well that was very very small! I sent the target off to Barnes yesterday, it may show up at the Shot Show.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had simular results with 270gr X bullets in my .375H&H. I haven't tried the triple shocks yet.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JJS

I took my Lott to Zim in August and took a bull ele and a nice buf shooting 450gr X bullets...
The 500 X bullets were bulging cases with 83grs of 4320...
What are you loading with and did you chrono them ??
bullets posted in Big bores forum
regards and keep your powder dry...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Elephant! I am heading out this Saturday to Tanzania, hunting with Pierre van Tonder...much anticipation!

I did not have time to do much load development with the Lott. So only tried H4895 with 500 grain Barnes TSX and Solids. I am using less than max load, as published by Barnes. I chornographed my loads at a nomial 2250 fps which was the velocity I was attempting to achieve...did not see any need to go any faster...I loaded the 500 grain TSX one grain heavier than the Solids to achieve that nomial velocity (2250 fps). At the charge level I used the loaded rounds function great, however, if I were to want more velocity I would most likely use a little bit faster powder than H4895.

I plan on doing some load development with the Lott when I get back from my hunting trips! Thanks for posting the pictures! JJS

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought you guys might enjoy these pictures of some recovered bullets from my buffalo this summer. these were fired from a .470NE.

Here are the Barnes X and solid.

The X hit the bull just behind the shoulder bone and bit low on a hard quartering on shot and raked through his lungs and was found under the skin on the off side just behind the ribs.

The solid hit the buff just behind the same shoulder a little further back as the buff turned to run and was now quartering away and raked through the lungs a second time and was found just beneath the skin of the neck on the off side in the muscle under the spine.

The bullets

The X where I found it. Remember it entered on a quartering on angle. Really nice straight line penetration! The bullet is right in the middle of that patch of pink meat just behind the bruising that is evident, it's hard to see in the picture

Here's the buffalo. This is the buff that gave me a bit of humor when we went to recover him, but that's already been posted.(And not by me I might add) Needless to say they don't always die like they're supposed to. If you look real close you can see the entrance wound from the solid behind the shoulder and in a bigger picture the first hit can be seen as well it is just above the "elbow and just behind the line of the bone"

Just thought you guys might find this interesting. And it's the reason I like Barnes I've always had reliable performance from them.

Greg Allyn

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Awesome bullet performance.
Thanks for sharing.
I've also had great luck with their bullets.
When they get around to puting driving bands on all their offerings I believe they will be hard to beat.

Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barn's did fantastic It rolled just like it was ment to

That's going to be hard to beat preformance wise

Thank's for sharing the picture

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote