Find
Notify
Tools

375 factory ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have a friend who is going on a Cape Buffalo hunt. He has a 375 HH. I'm looking to you all to give your opinion on the best factory ammo he can take in your experience.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I would advise him getting Remington Safari Grade ammo loaded with the Swift A-Frame.

It's a great bullet in terms of expansion, penetration, and weight retention.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Safari grade with Swift A-Frames is good stuff for Buffalo, and a box of Solids from Federal (Woodleighs) will fix you right up...The Woodleigh Softs from Federal are OK also.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I had good luck with Remington's Safari Grade ammo with the 300 gr. Swift A-Frame and Federal's Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer 300 gr. solids.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Second the A-Frames. If you wanted something in an X bullet, they are available as well, factory and custom loaded.

What about the TB Sledgehammer. Anyone with practical experience here? I have a box, but never shot them.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Mavor>
posted
FWIW, I and six mates have just got back from Africa having all shot buff with .375's and the concensus of opinion is don't bother with solids, they just seem to whistle straight through, having little or no effect on the animal. The perceived wisdom of a soft on top, the rest solids doesn't seem to work in .375. I reckon load up just with good quality softs. Nosler partitions, RWS conepoints and Swift A-frames all did sterling work on our trip, but the solids were a waste of space.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
These bullets were pulled from a bison I shot last December.

They were Rem. .375 Safari Grade, 300gr Swift A-frames. 99.5% weight retention. Needless to say I was pleased with their performance.

Accuracy is very good in my rifle. I haven't tried other premium brands, so withold comment on them.

FWIW, Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Also, we recently discussed this topic and their was a fair bit of support for Federal TBBC's.

Click on this link to see that thread...

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001553.html

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote