Find
Notify
Tools

Week in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

Need some help, I am looking at going to RSA or maybe Zim for the honeymoon. I have an outfitter set up for a touring package and I have one day to hunt, I talked her into it, And it took some convincing to hunt on the honeymoon.

The question I have is this.

One of our family members owns a large selection of time share condo's. They are willing to give us a week which can be exchaged for a place in RSA or Zim. We would then have a stay for a week before or after the touring trip.

Have any of you stayed in a timeshare/condo in RSA or Zim that you enjoyed?

I would like to have one that has cooking facilities or someone who could buy/cook the meals for us.

I would be interested in staying at a farm/reserve or on or close to a beach with a possibility of fishing (Fishing isn't a top priority though).

If you could point me to a good timeshare/condo that you enjoyed, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sierra, the place to stay is RSA and not Zim...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Given the current state of affairs in Zimbabwe, I would recommend RSA (Cape Town is particularly beautiful).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd lay the groundwork for a future trip. Take your bride to Capetown or a safari camp like Singita or Sabi Sands and spend all your available time and resources showing her how wonderful Africa can be. She'll be planning a return trip for you without you asking.

Foregoing that one day of gamefarm hunting during your Honeymoon may payoff in multitudes further down the line.

Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful Honeymoon.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The Capetown and Stellenbosch areas would make a lovely place for a week on honeymoon. You could stay near the coast near Capetown and drive as a short trip into the Stellenbosch / Paarl region for a lovely visit to the wine regions. The Cape Dutch buildings in the area are very beautiful. BTW haven't done it myself but planned to do it for my own honeymoon in 1994 but went to Zim in the end due to the then political issues in South Africa (first black elections). Will do it one year soon however.

One of the members here has a small winery and accomodation in the area too and also I believe can take people out for some hunting ("Sunshine") unless I am mistaken.

Have a nice trip. Tell us about it when you return.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Listen to "ForrestB", it is very good advice!

Enjoy your honeymoon

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what forrestB and jungleboy said. Give on this one - get a 10 day hunt down the road.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
what forrestB and jungleboy said. Give on this one - get a 10 day hunt down the road.

I had a 10 day hunt 2 years ago, and its going to be 08 for buffalo, guess I can tour this one. Maybe some guinea fowl or another impala......

Do you know of any outfits that would do day trips, or how is renting a car???

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have rented cars at Joburg International a couple of times and it was no big deal. I think I went with AVIS. Reserve ahead of time, pull out the credit card for a swipe and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road. As for one day trips, I suggest you contact fellow AR member Jaco Human who organized and guided my 3 day October 2005 hunt(see thread under Hunting Reports). He is the only one I have any experience with and it was well done by Jaco. If you are going to be up in the Kruger area, there are a couple of PH's with areas there who might be able to accomodate and I would tell them you are on your honeymoon and trying to slip in a little hunting so that they understand the context. My friend and PH Jan Dumon has an area near Hoedspruit. The only way to find out is to contact him: mwshumba@mweb.co.za Send a PM if you would like his telephone number.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun on the honeymoon SierraBravo. I am doing the same thing. I have been finishing up the last of the details of our honeymoon/hunt. Luckily, my soon to be wife let me have 6 days for the hunt. But she enjoys it as well. We are going to be hunting right beside Kruger for 6 days, and then we are going to do a couple of days in Kruger on photo safari,then go to a wildlife rehab center one day to see the animals in Hoedspruit, then do some shopping and relaxing for a couple of days.
I finally got this sucker paid off, and got the airline tickets done..Everything is in order.. Now all I need to do is get married!!!
YIKES!!!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sierra Bravo

I sent you an e-mail with a read receipt that hasn't been returned - so you might not have got it...... In case you didn't, and in shortened version, a friend of mine is the answer to all your problems. His company will arrange hire cars, accommodation, route maps and anything else you need at no cost to you. His name is John Ilsley and you can contact him on john@detra.co.za

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
SB45, if you might be around the Fee State (Blomfontein area), check with Andrew McLaren, who may be able to sneak out for a day of guinea shooting or chasing a springbok. I hunted a week with him last August and had a great time.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote