THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What's a good deal on a PAC Elephant?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a good deal on a PAC Elephant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I go to Dallas in a couple of weeks, I'm supposed to negotiate with my outfitter for a PAC elephat add-on to a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. Problem is, I have no idea what kind of deal I should try to get!

When I was in Zim last May, we tried to get a PAC elephant hunt on the Mkwasine Sugar Cane Plantation. However, by the time they decided to let us go ahead and take one, it was too late in the hunt. I never even found out what it was going to cost me. I do know that it was a to be for a kill-fee only (no extra daily rate).

What kind of deal should I try to negotiate for a PAC elephant add-on to a 10-day buffalo hunt?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
GAhunter,

Find out the daily rate they want...trophy fees...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a stand alone PAC bull ele hunt for 7 days, $10K would be fairly typical. As an add on you might get it for less. But perhaps not a lot less as the outfitter could sell that hunt to someone else for $10K (or maybe more this year).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A stand alone hunt is a lot different from what I am seeking. I basically am interested in an "IF" hunt: IF there happens to be a problem elephant in the area, and; IF I get a buffalo early enough in the hunt to allow time to seek the elephant, and; IF the price to shoot one is attractive enough, then I will give it a try.

A stand alone PAC hunt is a whole 'nother ballgame!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point is that your outfitter could sell that same elephant to someone else for 10K.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER
Normally, add another 3 days dayfee, iow upgrade to 10 days, plus a "shooting fee" of about US$3000 -3500 in Zimbabwe.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GA if you are thinking of booking with jumbo again...

PAC ele- depends- Genuine Problem animal control? asked for by the CAMPFIRE association whilst you are hunting in the area? Probably about 1,5k -2k is fair

Elephant on quota but with no export tags? 2,5-3k. Obviously as these animals are on quota they can be booked as regular hunts.

Problem animals "manufactured" by the operator? Depends on the bribes he has to pay Mad

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
What is the definition of a PAC elephant for all purposes of the law in Zim and how are these offered to Tourist hunters?

I am interested in making a proposal to our GD here for consideration. It's about time Tz allowed PAC animals to be taken by hunting clients who are on safari.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
It's about time Tz allowed PAC animals to be taken by hunting clients who are on safari.
......ain't that the truth!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ganyana,

The one Jumbo tried to get for me was a gunuine off-quota problem animal raiding the sugar cane plantation. This is what I will be seeking again.

I know that this reduces my chances of being able to get permission to hunt one, but I consider it to be a bonus to my buffalo hunt. If one's not available when I happen to be in the area, so be it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mich

Problem Animal- Any animal determined by the appropriate authority for the land to be causing a threat to human life or incuring an unreasonable financial burden on the said appropriate Authority.

In ZimElngilsh - If the farmer (types old fashioned and nearly extinct who actually hold title to their land) deams an animal to be a problem he can shoot it himself or ask a client to shoot it - provided there are no local restrictions on shooting that species, in which case he needs the permission of his neighbors as well.(the "Intensive conservation Area" committee actually gives the farmer the green light. It is an elected committee of three from the district)

If the problem occurs on tribal land, the Rural District Authority are the legal "appropriate Authority" and also constitute the local ICA so they give the green light and the safari operator sends his apprentice along or a client if there is one in camp who is willing to fork out some shilling for it.

Of course Parks keep a beady eye on just how much "PAC" is being done in any tribal area and a return has to be submitted to parks. If it is excessive, then limits are set with much agro.

With ele or lion it is often easy to sell the PAC to any client in the area, getting a client to pay for a 26" buff cow that is hiding in thick jess surounded by a protective barrier of wasps and buffalo beans...Thats apprentice work!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To continue...

Many operators offer "PAC hunts" at key times of the year when it is reasonably certain that their will be demand. For instance in April/May there will be elephants raiding fields and parks will give the council permission to shoot an ele and a buff for "dependence day" celebrations . Often the councils say to the operator, you will shoot (six) elephants in april/may in the fields arround the district. There will be 200 requests for PAC but please shoot just (six) and spread it out so that the villagers see that something is being done. the council will then keep some of their allocated pac quota (if they have offended parks and been reined in) for real emergency use later if someone gets killed etc. The safari operators appy will then spend every night for two months chasing elephants out of the fields.