THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is a big roan? How long of horns?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a big roan? How long of horns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your definition of big roan?
How long of horns?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I think in most places a 24"-25" is a shooter, 26"-28" very good and 28" plus excellent.

I shot one of about 27" in the Luangwa and crew was very happy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of knuckle
posted Hide Post
28'+ is a great trophy. An old 25" would also be something to be proud of.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Depends where you are hunting of course. I agree with the ranges the other posters mentioned. In Benin, 25"s to 27"s was a definite shooter. I understand in Central Africa you set your sights on 27" with the real possibility of 30". I have not hunted roan in Zambia or Tanzania so I can't speak to that sub-species.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The Rowand Ward minimum for East African roan is 26" and the Angolan roan minimum is 27.5"

All other roan(Southern, Western, Sudan) have a RW minimum of 27".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My definition includes the horn condition...a big and OLD bull will have it's tips broomed, and will show rub wear on the outside horn curve. He'll have base mass and if he is 27" or above, take the shot.

Here's a great old bull at 28"...

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
heres one from western tanzania that we took this year that went 31- look at the bases and see how very worn they are - the secondary growth rings are very distinctive in the fact that they are almost "worn together". We first saw him at about 1000 yards and at that distance you couldnt see much other than that he was a very nice one -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Some great trophies posted here and Ivan's is a brute. A good average in Zambia would be 26. Anything over 30 is on par with a 62 inch Kudu.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
dont give me all the credit , i was also with wilhelm marx , who has been hunting TZ for many many years - i knew it was big but only realised how big when we walked up to it !!! nice when that happens Smiler

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Big congrats to Wilhelm. Very nice!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote