THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SA Firearms Regulations / Temp Import of Firearms

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA Firearms Regulations / Temp Import of Firearms
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
There have been numerous posts here and on other forums regarding pending restrictions on the temporary import of firearms through SA to other "SADEC" countries.

I was forwarded a copy of the "Firearms Control Regulations 2004" which has apparently just been released (~March 26th). Per Chapter 6, Section 61, "b", proof of authority to import a firearm is not REQUIRED for countries that do not issue such a permit BEFOREHAND. I don't know if this resolves the issue, but it would appear as such. I'm sure this will shake-out in the weeks that follow, but it would seem that anybody hunting in a country that issues a gun permit ahead of time (Tanzania & Zambia, but not Zim or Namibia???) should get a copy prior to arrival. As was suggested by Ann, a letter authorized by one's local Police may not be a bad idea either.

Following are some relevant clips from the 97-pages of regulations, and as Saeed indicated in a previous post, much of which may have been in place prior to now:

Application regarding in-transit permit
(1) A person who applies for an in-transit permit contemplated in Chapter 8 of the Act must, if requested thereto by the Registrar, in addition to the requirements of regulation 13, submit �

(a) proof of authority to export the firearm and ammunition from the country of origin: Provided that a customs clearance document or any other officially issued document which serves as authority to remove the firearm from that country must be regarded as sufficient compliance;

(b) proof of authority to import the firearm and ammunition into the country of final destination if that country issues such authority before the arrival of firearms in the country;

(c) particulars of the intended transport route and mode of transport and the proposed port of entry and exit and likely date of the entry and exit;

(d) a certified copy of the licence, permit, authorisation or any proof acceptable to the Registrar, confirming the lawful possession of the firearm and ammunition by the person requiring the carrying of the firearm and ammunition in transit through the Republic of South Africa;

(e) a computer printout or a typed list of the firearms and ammunition indicating the quantity, type of action, manufacturer�s serial number, model and calibre of the firearm and quantity, type and calibre of ammunition;

(f) an end user certificate as contemplated in section 17 of the National Conventional Arms Control Act, 2002 (Act No. 41 of 2002) when the firearm or ammunition is intended for resale in the country of final destination; and

(g) a consignment note of the firearms and ammunition to be carried in transit through South Africa.

�

Conditions in respect of application for import or export permit

(7) Conditions under which a temporary import permit may be issued

A temporary import permit may only be issued -

(a) to a foreign visitor for the purpose of hunting;

(b) to a foreign visitor to display the firearm and ammunition at a trade show or collectors� show, or to display firearms or ammunition at a sport or hunting trade show;

(c) to a foreign visitor to participate in a competitive sports shooting event organised by recognised business, hunting, sports-shooting or collectors' organisation;

�

Packaging of firearms and ammunition during transportation
(1) During transportation of firearms and ammunition by a holder of a firearm transporter�s permit -

(a) firearms must be packed separately from ammunition, and all ammunition must be removed from firearms in a safe manner, before transportation;

(b) firearms and ammunition must be transported in an appropriately locked metal container, and must be packed to ensure maximum safety and minimum exposure; and

(c) direct continues supervision and control of firearms and ammunition being transported is required.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

(b) firearms and ammunition must be transported in an appropriately locked metal container, and must be packed to ensure maximum safety and minimum exposure; and

(c) direct continues supervision and control of firearms and ammunition being transported is required.

Surely they can't mean (b) above, and what does (c) really mean?

As for Zambia, my PH says they issue the temporary firearms import permit on arrival, so I guess I'm okay on that regard. So after clearing SAPS with the in-transit permit, does a cop accompany you to the check-in counter of the connecting flight to the next country? And if I'm coming back to South Africa, does that mean I need two SAPS 311s, one for the first in-transit arrival from the U.S. via Frankfurt, and another for the return arrival from Zambia?

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
BTT per Steve's post, I also have a copy if anybody wants to see it, Word or Adobe .pdf format, send me an email.

one of us
posted Hide Post

The new SA regulation reads;

Will this exclude the use of SKB, Tuffpacks and other gun cases?

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Likely we will have to glue aluminum foil over our cases in order to conform.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
This just received via email from SCI:

In the Crosshairs: e-News from SCI�s Washington Office
The latest and hottest news on federal, state, and international political and conservation events

April 2, 2004

Firearm Transit through South Africa: The new firearm transit regulations of the Republic of South Africa (RSA) will not cause the problems for hunters that some had feared. There was a concern that the regulations would require that the hunter show an export permit from his home country as well as a final import permit for his final destination country. However, the relevant text of the RSA regulations states:

�A person who applies for an in-transit permit ... must, if requested thereto by the Registrar, � submit � (a) proof of authority to export the firearm and ammunition from the country of origin: Provided that a customs clearance document or any other officially issued document which serves as authority to remove the firearm from that country must be regarded as sufficient compliance; (b) proof of authority to import the firearm and ammunition into the country of final destination if that country issues such authority before the arrival of firearms in the country.� [Chapter 6, Section 61(1)]

We have further information from SCI member Sally Bown in Zimbabwe, much of it from the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa:

�The Central Firearms Register in Pretoria has established a firearms call center for enquires. The number during normal office hours is 27 12 353 6111 or fax 27 12 353 6036. Regarding US citizens transiting RSA, the South African Police apparently have been and continue to accept the US Customs Declaration Form that clients fill out on departure from the US as proof of ownership.�

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I just got that too, Bill.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote