THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South Africa: Mala Mala Game Reserve

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa: Mala Mala Game Reserve
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
MalaMala is one of the oldest game reserves in South Africa and the first that changed from a hunting concession to a photographic safari experience in South Africa. MalaMala is open to the Kruger National Park, meaning that there are no fences between the reserve and the National Park, so game roam freely.

Who has experiences with MalaMala, who was staying there quite recently?

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I have been to MalaMala four times, most recently in August of this year. I've also been to some other private game reserves and MalaMala is head and shoulders above the rest for multiple reasons. Here are just a few. It is the largest property in the Sabi Sands/Timbavati region. It has the longest unfenced boundary with Kruger. They don't share traversing rights with any other reserve, so their vehicles are the only ones on the property. You will see a greater variety of wildlife in a shorter time than any other reserve. And if you are interested in wildlife photography, it has a well-deserved reputation as the best in all of southern Africa. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is definitely a 10.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you. And what about service, quality of food, furnishing etc?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I went there about 17 years ago. At the time, it was rated the #1 resort in the world. Great place, in all regards. Excellent game viewing. The animals are so conditioned to cars that it is like you are not even there. You will enjoy it...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was there about 18 years ago, I agree with the above comments. First class in all regards.

As Bwana1 stated the animals are habituated to the cars. That was my only negative experience. One day we drove within a herd of buffalo and my wife asked "what's so challenging hunting them"? Certainly not what we experience in the field.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
Service, furnishings and food are all first class. There are three separate camps at MalaMala - Main Camp, Sable Camp, and Rattray's Camp, with increasing degrees of luxury.

MalaMala has several miles of the Sand River running through it, and the three camps are situated at various spots on the river. I have been to reserves that do not have a river, and I wouldn't do it again because as with anywhere in Africa, water is the key. Wildlife is abundant along the river, and you will see plenty of it from your rooms. On our first visit we had just arrived in our room and were admiring the view of the river when a lioness charged from some cover and just missed taking down an nyala bull.

Besides having the best wildlife, it is also well known that MalaMala has the best rangers in the business. Every ranger ultimately wants to work at MalaMala, so they can hire from the best, and the best remain there a long time. This is an important distinction, as we learned from visiting other reserves. Also, they have a maximum of six guests per game drive vehicle (only four at Rattray's) where almost all other reserves will pack in up to nine. On our visit this past August it was just me, my wife, and our two 10-year old grandsons in our vehicle for our entire stay.

The accommodations have been extensively renovated over the past two years, so they are as fresh and current as you'll see anywhere. They are spacious, luxuriously well-appointed and meticulously clean.

I have two bits of advice for you. First, you'll want to book as far in advance as possible, a year or more, in order to get the dates that you want because they fill up fast. Second, I would suggest a stay of a minimum of three nights. Any less and you'll regret it.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No experience of this resort, but, all resorts we have been to have the option of any guest can have their very own vehicle and guide.

That is how we have always done it.

If you do this you and your guide make the de idioms of what and where to go.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68612 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advise. We have made a booking already, will be at Sable Camp in March this year. Very much looking forward to it. Unfortunately we'll only have two nights there, however the additional 10 days inside Kruger, from the bottom right up to the north won't be bad either. I know Kruger NP as good as my pocket but never visited MalaMala. On the other hand there are so many private game reserves bordering Kruger, one cannot easily know all of them.

One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
Ten days in Kruger? Very good decision! We'll be in Kruger, and again at MalaMala, this coming July right after a Cape buffalo hunt in Mozambique. Yes, there are many private game reserves bordering Kruger, and you have booked at the best. Enjoy!

Saeed makes a good suggestion - you can always request a private vehicle if you choose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been living near Kruger National Park, hence I should be familiar with that stunning place. Being a registered guide I‘m there often, sometimes up to a fortnight. The longer the stay the better of course. Beginning of January I’ll be there again.