Find
Notify
Tools

LION ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I am hoping some knowlegable people can chime in here.

WHAT IS THE STATUS WITH LION HUNTING???

I have heard that there is a big vot comming up. I have heard that lion might be listed as a higher level on the CITES list and effectivly closed.

What is going on? What is happening in the near future??

Thanks for the info

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
No. There is a deadline for topics at the CITES convention. The deadline has come and gone and lions where not submitted as a topic of discussion. That doesn't mean they won't be on the next meeting or the one after that.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

When is the upcoming CITIES convention going to occur?

How often do they happen??

Thanks

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm going from memory here but I think the next meeting is around January or Febuary 2010 and I think they have regualar meetings every 2 years but can meet more often if necessary.

As Brett quite rightly says, the deadline for new proposals has now expired.

with the Lion thing, much the same countries make a fuss about an upgrade a few months before every meeeting and until now at least, then fail to actually do anything about proposing an upgrade..... the problem is that every time they do make a fuss about it, hunters obviously have to be ready to refute the proposal. John Jackson and Conservation Force do a lot of good work in this regard.

It should be noted that as far as the CITES permitting goes, an upgrade wouldn't necessarily mean hunters couldn't take Lion if the upgrade happened because there is no reason to suggest CITES wouldn't issue a sport hunting quota as they do for other CITES I species, although that would also need to be debated at the conference. It would however mean that the hunter would need to apply for an import permit the same way as they do for Leopard etc.

However, it should also be noted that USF&WS who are a law unto themselves might then respond to the upgrade by asking for long term studies and reports to be done before they issue their import permits to US hunters. That would only affect US hunters and is really a separate matter.

Personally, I'm astounded that USF&WS get away with trampling over individuals rights the way they do and that no-one has challenged them on the issue and won. As I see it, they should accept CITES quotas and rulings and not enforce their own standards over and above the CITES ones.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
USFWS is basically exactly like the IRS- a law unto themselves. if you are going to take them on, be prepared to spend a lot of time and money with no assurance of winning, given the current liberal(anti hunting) status of our federal judges.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13388 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Mark Young.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two lions in Namibia and one in Zim, so get while the getting is good!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I have two lions in Namibia and one in Zim, so get while the getting is good!

Pets you keep with friends???? Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Again Guys.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I'm astounded that USF&WS get away with trampling over individuals rights the way they do and that no-one has challenged them on the issue and won. As I see it, they should accept CITES quotas and rulings and not enforce their own standards over and above the CITES ones.

+1

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas