New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Classics Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years ago, before Covid. Safari Classics crew did an episode with a young man and father hunting Cape Buffalo and crocodile.

It was very well done and not exploitive. Does anyone know how that son and family is doing?

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fascinating!

A commercial hunting show not exploitative?

Must be unique today!

Never seen a single hunting show that did not have a message to ram down our throats.

And never seen one that didn’t try it in such a stupid way as to get one thinking “are these really hunters?”

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I think by your own admission, you've never seen Tracks Across Africa or Dark and Dangerous. Both shows produced by Dave Fulson and Tim Danklif, aka Safari Classics, which would be the producer of the show LHeym is referring to. Both shows standing head and shoulders above all the other hunting TV shows.

Unique? 100%! Real hunters? 100%. At one time, hosted by Craig Boddington, then later Ivan Carter. Today, they are not hosted by any hunting celebrity. Any discussion or narration is usually done by the PH on that particular hunt and the hunters are actual clients.

I was on Tracks about 3 years ago, hunting with Alan Shering of CMS. I've seen several other AR hunters on the show as well. I hired the camera man for my own record of the hunt. The camera man was one of Safari Classics' guys and they used the video, with my permission, for one of the Tracks episodes. If I remember correctly, the only "message" in the final cut was a short narration from Buzz about how hunting in the Zambezi Valley funds the local economy and provides for anti poaching. Basically the message of Conservation through hunting. There was no silliness, back slapping, etc. Just straight forward hunting.

I wouldn't expect an answer from Dave however. I think he's checked out from AR permanently.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Years ago I used to buy hunting shows, including Mark Sullivan’s.

I could bring myself to watch more than a few minutes, then see all the bullshit being sold as real hunting.

Then we got the Outdoor Chanel on TV.

I thought I might enjoy some of the hunting shows on there.

If anything, they were actually worse.

I gave up.

That is why I am surprised that a mention was made that these shows in question are NOT out to deliver a message.

I hope you are right, because we do need proper hunting shows without some tag along bimbo to sell it better.

Or a female commentator with a sexy voice saying “Jim is loading his rifle now. It is a 460 Weatherby MAGNUM! The MOST powerful rifle in the WORLD! He is getting really close to the lion. And as we all know, the lion is the most DANGEROUS animal in the WORLD!”

BANG rings the shot.

The pet lion is rolling on the ground in his death throws.

Our Bimbo “How EXCITING was THAT? Jim is over the moon!”

This is on one of the rare occasions when I keep the TV on.

Normally it was off well before this.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

You should really try and find some episodes of Tracks Across Africa or Dark and Dangerous. My bet is you'll be impressed. Of course, there are commercials. They have to pay the bills after all. But the hunting shown, is 100%.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Try this for starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKrP5G773o

Thank you.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
A few years ago, before Covid. Safari Classics crew did an episode with a young man and father hunting Cape Buffalo and crocodile.

It was very well done and not exploitive. Does anyone know how that son and family is doing?

Are you referring to the episode where the young man had a mental disability and accompanied his dad on safari? You may pm Dave Fulson and he may know. IIRC the pair were from the Dallas area....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the episode.

My wife asked about him last night.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I think I know the show you are asking about, I know the father son duo and they are both doing well and are having many more adventures. I see photos pretty frequently of their hunting and fishing trips. Really good to see.
This and other Tracks Across Africa shows were very well done, many are filmed with CMS and just this past weekend I watched an episode with Buzz as PH, very good and I sent Buzz and Myles a message saying as much (same for a recent lion hunt). I rarely watch hunting shows for the reasons mentioned by Saeed, but this particular show seems to be a bit different.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Mr. Evans. That made me and will make my wife very happy when I get to tell her.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I echo Todd and Karl. There are very few hunting shows I watch, but I try to catch all of the SC productions.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote