New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint or Leupold?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a full size Aimpoint red-dot scope on my muzzleloader. I no longer shoot the muzzleloader and if I draw a muzzleloading deer tag, I can’t use the scope. My 375 is open sights and I wanted to put a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 on it. Now I’m thinking of putting the Aimpoint on it.

What do you guys think? I want to take the gun on a buffalo/hippo hunt (in a few years).

Thanks

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think either one would be great on the 375, but I am partial to Leupolds.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 is capable of much longer range, accurate shooting than your Aimpoint. I would recommend the Leupold.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As with all electronics, your batteries are most likely to fail at the worst possible moment.

I don't know which full-sized Aimpoint you have, but if it's the CompM4, just put a fresh AA in it when you arrive in Africa. You'll be good for up to 80,000hrs. of continual operation (about 8yrs.), unless you hunt with Walter, in which case he will borrow the battery to build some sort of 'Rube Goldberg' device. Eeker

As Peter stated, a scope with magnification and cross-hairs will permit finer shooting at longer range.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 for overall performance with your .375. I recommend you give the illuminated retice a try if you haven't tried before.

I use the illuminated reticle on a .416 and like it quite well. I manage the battery requirements and have no problems.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint might have been perfect for a muzzleloader.

For the 375 it sure is not.

The 375 is capable of long range hunting, and a scope will help.

I have a 2.5-8X Leupold scope on my two African rifles, and I find that it works great.

I have taken game animals with it from 10 yards to about 500.

That 8 power comes in handy for the longer shots.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one asked, but I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x 40 on my Blaser 375 H&H Barrel. There was another thread where someone asked about a scope for a 375 H&H. As I recollect, the concensus was what Saeed recommended, or higher!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info guys. Looks like I’m be putting on the Leupold. beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on my .375 and it works great out to 300 yards. Havent had the oportunity to try anything at longer ranges, but it works great and has over 1100 rounds fired underneath it. Just keeps on ticking.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had my 9.3x62 set up with an Aimpoint Comp 9000L with a 2MOA dot I actually shot better groups at both 100 and 200 yards than I did with a conventional scope, in my case a Leupold 2.5x ultralight. Your mileage may vary, but I would try the Aimpoint on your 375 and see how you do.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoints are fine if you only want to hunt within 50 Yds. Trying to even sight in at anything more is insanity. Put on a scope at a low power is the only way to go.