New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC Convention
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering going to the DSC Convention rather than the SCI Convention as I am not enamored with Las Vegas. Are there any motels/hotels that are budget priced within walking distance or a short drive to the convention? Actually have been thinking about this for a few years because of the discussions on AR. Would appreciate any help given.

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
The Comfort Inn is a good choice. A lot of AR members stay there.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, Larry is right. Many AR members stay at the Comfort Inn on Stemmons. I have blocked 20 rooms, don't know how many are left. With many friends staying there it is not hard to catch a ride to the show. It is also where the Sat nite party is held. They treat AR people very well as we a very good group for this small motel, not like the big hotels downtown. If you call CI mention AR for our rate. They also provide our Sat nite party room gratus.

See you in Dallas.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter

Thank you for the information. This is what I was looking for. Do you have a phone number for the Comfort Inn?

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, 214-461-2677 rate $89.99+ Tax. They have a nice breakfast bar and as I recall they do a beer/wine bar and tib bits some evenings. Hope you can join us on Friday and Sat evenings.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Comfort Inn mentioned is a nice place to stay, with plenty of AR members. It is NOT however, within walking distance of the show, which is several miles away. Not really a problem, as already mentioned you can often catch a ride with others. I just wanted you to know you will need some sort of transportation to the show each day.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hoot, met you and your wife at Reno. It is about time you came to Dallas, Looking forward.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, the tricky part is knowing how to find the DSC convention parking lot.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I made my reservations at the Comfort Inn. I will be driving instead of flying and I am sure that I can find the Comfort Inn and the Convention Center. However, you can help me out with the "tricky part' 376 steyr. I see where parking costs you 12.00 a day. That's higher than the nuts on a giraffe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, you are going to the city - that is cheap parking. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The $12. fee is for each time you enter & leave the parking building, so when you go to the show, don't plan on expecting a day pass for parking also. You have to stay, or pay the $12. again.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some surface parking lots around the convention center that are a bit less expensive that are within easy walking distance (one or two blocks). If there is any interest I can post the street address of some of these lots, and their proximity to the convention center.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
For those of us less informed, where is the DSC convention being held? Dallas?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert: Yes, it is held in Dallas each Jaunuary, this the next DSC convention "Out of The Wild" is being held at the Dallas Covention Center (650 N Griffin St.if you want to Google map it. It starts January 5 and ends January 8, 2012 we anticipate more than 30,000 people to visit the convention.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Aloft. One block away. Less than $100 per night when I was there two years ago. Hip, trendy, swanky. I do not believe there is a closer facility.

Magnolia. Three +/- blocks away. Around $150 per night for a suite last year and this year, but a single queen room would be less. Free breakfast in the AM and free drinks and appetizers in the PM.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I booked at the Aloft this year. $149.00 for a king.

Free parking also.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The Omni is closer you only have to walk across the walkway and you are at entrance level.. Go to DSC website to make your reservation.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote