New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Vaccinations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of you that hunt Tanzania or for that matter all of Africa have gotten the Hep B vaccine? I was just wondering. I do not intend to have sex or expose my self to others blood in Tanzania, but there always is the possibility of a mishap (Car or animal) that requires a transfusion. The multiple vaccinations over months is the limiter to Hep B. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hugh,
I didn't get the Hep B but did get the Hep A, typhoid and Yellow Fever. I'm like you...I don't intend on exchanging body fluids with anyone in that part of the world, but they now do a combo Hep A & B vaccine that is pretty easy if you haven't already done your A vaccine.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

I've had the full regiment of Hepatitus A and B shots because of my former employment. Just remember, proof of the yellow fever vaccination is required for entry into Tanzania.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yellow fever vaccine and Tanzania...As you know I am going to the Selous in 06...I have had all needed needles but my wife has rehumathoid arthritis and one of its by products is a compromised immune system...The yellow fever is a live vaccine and she cannot take it.. We will be getting a waiver from the doctor and I also read in a book titled 'East Africa ' that the vaccine is no longer required but recommended...Soo I shot off a letter to the CDC and they said that she can get a waiver..Use insecticides and repellant...We plan to use the pyrthin srpay on clothes and netting around bed and inside of safari vehicle...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the international travel clinic and got one of everything they offer, except rabies. The nurse talked me out of it. Now I think I'll go back and get the rabies series too. Baboons can bite!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hugh

If you have the time it is a good idea to get Hep B vaccine. You will need 3 injections, the first 2 a month apart and the 3 one 4 to 6 months later.

One of the most important thing is to have Medical evacuation insurance, it costs a little but in my opinion is a must. I never travel without it.

Hope you have a good and safe hunt
Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I got the Twinrix Hep A and B combo vaccination. 3 shots for about $65 CDN each. Pretty handy and relatively cheap.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bull1:
Just remember, proof of the yellow fever vaccination is required for entry into Tanzania.

Bull1

That is no longer a requirement to enter Tanzania. But it is recommended.....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be getting a waiver from the doctor and I also read in a book titled 'East Africa ' that the vaccine is no longer required but recommended...Soo I shot off a letter to the CDC and they said that she can get a waiver..Use insecticides and repellant...We plan to use the pyrthin srpay on clothes and netting around bed and inside of safari vehicle...

If I couldn't take the innoculation and IF it was a requirement, as long as you have a stamped certification in your innoculation certificate it does the job. At worst you can write it in yourself and just use an address stamp. If it is stamped the border guards accept it.

I travelled from Tanzania to Malawi and crossing the border two fools did not have the right innoculations in their innoculation booklets. One fool because his NZ doctor signed the book but demanded $10 to stamp it. The other twit even though told did not have ANY innoculations.

US$40 fixed the problem and we got through. You DO NOT want them to administer the innoculations.

Any stamp on the booklet will do if it looks official enough. A rubber stamp in Nairobi costs a few bucks. These also used to work for the compulsory forex currency quantity change the Tanzanians also required all foreignors to make. Some people would just write it in themselves and stamp it themselves. Problem solved.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
Originally posted by bull1:
Just remember, proof of the yellow fever vaccination is required for entry into Tanzania.

Bull1

That is no longer a requirement to enter Tanzania. But it is recommended.....

Again, that's what this forum is good for. There are enough people using it that the most current information is almost always available. The dropping of the "requirement" is good to know. It may save you about $90 US. It's still probably the safest advice to check with CDC and act accordingly. There may just be a reason why it is still "recommended".

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I got every shot available when we went to Tanzania. Why take a chance - it is cheap insurance and I think the hep. vacinations are good for life. Also, I believe (I think I remember reading this somewhere) you can get one of the hep. virus from dirty water or even unproperly washed vegetables (I can't remember off hand which is which - one is blood borne, but one can come from "dirty" water, etc.).

Sidenote: when we were over there we had a couple of tick bites. My wife got one between her toes. It wouldn't heal properly and she finally went to the doctor (8 months later). He cut the "trouble spot" out, 4 stitches later - no more problem.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the embassy a few days ago and they told me that Yellow Fever IS STILL REQUIRED...

I also found out that retreevers wife can get a waiver...BTW there has not been a case of Yellow Fever in many years?

When I go to Tanzania and that has been every year for many years...I take the Yellow Fever shot, Tetnus, Hep A...Most of these shots are good for 5 to 10 years, I take Malaria protection in the form of Lariam every year..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your Input folks!

As always highly appreciated. I do not have time now for HEP B only one month out. But I defintely am getting Tetanus, HEP A, Polio and about everything else they will allow. Thanks, Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
If you can take the shots, TAKE THEM!!!!
I have had Malaria, seen a case of Tetnus and yellow fever. You DON'T want any of them. I had Malaria 1st time in 69 and last relaps in 78. Be safe, Ray is right on and I will be in the shot line before I go in 06.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I talked to the embassy a few days ago and they told me that Yellow Fever IS STILL REQUIRED...

No one from any official entry point in Tanzania will refuse you entry into the country for not having an up to date yellow fever certificate.....The "compulsory" order was dropped 4-5 years ago. I bet the embassy staff who told you so has not been back home in recent years - life's too good in Washington Big Grin

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You should go ahead and start the Hep B ASAP. The immunity begins well before the last shot in the series (if I remember correctly you have 80% immunity about 3 weeks after the first shot.)

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote