New
Find
Notify
Tools

restrictions on ivory?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was reading that it was illegal to bring ivory into the US. If that's the case, what happens with the ivory from elephants that are shot legally by US hunters? Does a hunter really not get to bring the tusks back?

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe at this time it depends on what Country you are bringing it out of. Last year when I asked U.S.Fish and Game about this, thry said I did not need a Cities permit for Ele from Zim. I think I was told there are 3 Countries you can leagally bring back Sport Hunted (by you) Ivory.
Bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here is a PDF fact sheet from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife on the importation of sport taken elephant (and leopard) trophies.

Elephant and Leopard importation

quote:
What permits do I need for African
elephant trophies taken in Botswana,
Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe?

The populations of elephants from these
four countries are listed in Appendix II
to allow for trade in certain products
only, one of which is the noncommercial
export of personal sport-hunted trophies.
Thus, an import permit is not required
even though the African elephant is still
listed as threatened under the Act.
Under a special rule, the Service must
ensure that each country has an ivory
quota for the year of export and
determine that the import of a sporthunted
trophy will enhance the survival
of the species. We have made these
findings for Botswana, Namibia, South
Africa, and Zimbabwe. They will remain
in effect until we find, based on new
information, that the conditions of the
special rule are no longer met and we
have published a notice of any change in
the Federal Register. Except for
information specific to import permits,
all other information in this fact sheet
applies to the import of trophies from
these four countries.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzanian ivory is also legal bring into the US but you need a CITES import permit. No problem just apply to USF&W and they will issue a permit.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It depends on where the elephant was taken. For example the US F&WS won't issue import permits for Elephant trophies from Mozambique but they will do so for countries such as Tanzania and South Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gran Cazador Blanco:
I was reading that it was illegal to bring ivory into the US. If that's the case, what happens with the ivory from elephants that are shot legally by US hunters? Does a hunter really not get to bring the tusks back?

I was actually trying to decipher the regulations on the CITES as it pertains to the same type of question. Very difficult to ascertain the legalities on bringing the ivory in. I would love to find some clear definition on this as well.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Simple really

IF there are any KIND SCI members out there they can call Toll Free and ask the question ... then let us all know the answers please 1-800-711-8315

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:
Simple really

IF there are any KIND SCI members out there they can call Toll Free and ask the question ... then let us all know the answers please 1-800-711-8315

Peter

Peter, Eeker
You know I didn't even think of that!!!
I will give them a call tomorrow and post their response here.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I shot a bull ele in Zim Aug. 04...Zim issues the CITES permit with the documentation of where I hunted and with whom...
Even before I went to Zim I called USF&W and confirmed that with them...I did not want to come home and find I spent a fortune for nothing...
I believe what the first post was asking about somebody trying to come home with a ivory and no documentation..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Steve gave you the answer in his post.

Elephant:

Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe require only an Export Permit from the country of origin. Your outfitter will acquire this for you.

Tanzania requires BOTH an Export Permit and an Import Permit (you have to apply for an Import Permit from USFW in advance and take a copy of it with you).

As far as I know, the USFW is not allowing the import of elephant from any other countries. So, don't go shoot an elephant in Mozambique and expect to get your ivory back home.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys very much for the info!

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote