New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sizes for RSA Plains Game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It depends on where you are. Best rule is when the PH gets excited, it's a a trophy. My PH Johann was noticeable excited when he saw my gemsbok, it went 36" which is very good for a bull in Limpopo but just avg. for the kalahari. We looked at a lot of wildebeest, many looked big to me until we saw my bull alone in the shade of an acacia, Johann got excited then too, he went 29 1/2" wide. It's true, the big ones Look Big. I don't even know what most of my animals measured and my 28 x 30 inch eland is the best trophy to my heart because he was big, old, worn down horns, almost hairless on the shoulder, scarred and had a doormat on his forehead. They figured he was 10 to 12 years old. He'll never "make the book" but I prefer him to a young long sharp horned bull.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that you should leave the tape measure at home. However it is good to have an idea of what an average size animal is. You dont want to set your standards so high as to be dissapointed but at the same time you dont want to shoot something that is too small. It is important to know what a good representative animal is. You dont want to shoot an immature animal just to have one. Knowledge is a good thing. Just dont let the size become the most important thing. Last trip I took 4 or 5 that would end up being in the top 25. At the same time I took a small female warthog and a a really old gemsbuck bull that only went 29 inches. I wouldnt trade that broomed out old bull for anything.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

What are good representative sizes for Common Blesbok, Blue Wildebeast, Gemsbok and Southern Kudu? When should one get excited with these species?

Leaving tomorrow and just realized I have no concept of what makes a reasonable trophy and what's a good'n.

As always ... Sincere thanks (even thought it's been a task for the bank balance!),

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Aw come on Mike, size isn't everything!

These can vary depending where the animal comes from. What may be a trophy head in one area, may not be so in another. You PH will point out the best in his area for each animal you hunt.

Go have a good hunt!

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the sizes too much.

Just go for the really old ones. They at least give you a second chnace if you miss, as they cannot run that far

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
'Representative':

Blesbok - 14"-15"
Blue wildebeest - 25"-27"
Gemsbok - 36"
Kudu - 50"

'Trophy':

Blesbok - 16"-18"
Blue wildebeest - 28"-30"
Gemsbok - 38"-40"
Kudu - 53" and up

The above is my opinion, for animals indigenous to where they are being hunted.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the site below and print out the forms for the animals you are after.

SCI measuring forms

Below is a website that lists most of the SCI (and Rowland Ward) minimums.

SCI minimums

Size definitely is not everything. I consider age important. I'm after a good representative of the species and that is what I tell my PH. You can trophy hunt on later safaris but starting off with that attitude will probably reduce the experience and that is BAD.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I do understand that size isn't everything!

I read alot about 57" kudu and so on ... don't have any expectations of that sort of thing. Beginner's are easy to please. Just wanted a ball park idea of how big these fellas are.

Am very much looking forward to the adventure ... as Cooper said, "It's a good day when you're hunting." Sound's like it will especially be so in Africa.

Thanks again!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to what Ann said. Lat August, I wanted an Impala real bad. The PH said that was fine, but the area we were in didn't have a good reputation for size over 20" (which is just okay for Impala). He found me an old male that went 22-1/2" and provided me with a very memorable hard stalk and shot. It may not be a record holder, but I'll always remember that hunt... 10 minutes later on the way back to camp, we spotted an old Common Springbok about 250 yds. off the road. The PH said he was a monster. With a little stealth and a spine shot later, I had a hell of a Springbok. But, that's Africa...

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Aw come on Mike, size isn't everything!

Now you say that!!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have some good advice above but I think the most important advice is to listen to your PH. It is his/her job to clue you in to what is "a shooter" considering the area in which you are hunting and the amount of time you have to hunt. Regardless of where you are hunting, it is important to remember that Africa is a cruel mistress. Sometimes Africa gives you a gift and sometimes she tortures you for no apparent reason. You might hunt forever and unsuccessfully for a simple representative animal of one species only to find a top record book trophy of another species looking at you 20 yards from the truck. Be flexible and enjoy your hunt!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
His/her? aren't we getting politically correct? Sorry, I couldn't pass it up

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mstarling,

Glad to see that you are thinking about trophy quality before you get on the ground in Africa. George has given you some great info. to go by. A person will spoil their safari if they get too involved in numbers but if you have no idea what to look for you may end up shooting animals you might not be so proud of later.

Finding out what you should expect for trophies only makes you a smart consumer and is part of the necessary safari research.

Good Hunting!

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Numbers are great to think about, but you are limited to the quality of the animals available. Once you get a number in your head for Kudu, maybe 53", if a good animal for your area is 49", you'll no doubt be disappointed.

Leave all the rulers at home, enjoy the hunt, appreciate all your animals regardless of size and let your PH worry about getting you into the biguns.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just put your faith in your PH, he will tell you which one to shoot, trust him, not the internet...

I would have to take exception that a 50" Kudu is representitive of the species unless it was an Eastern Cape Kudu, then it would be way better than representitive.

Good Southern Kudu start at 53 inches in my book and I would not shoot any Kudu less than 54 on my first hunt for the Greater Southern varity...

Today I would not shoot anything less than 58 inches..and I really hunt for the 60" bulls and better, but that means you don't always get one...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first hunt I told my PH that I wanted a Kudu over 50 inches preferably 52 inches. I shot a Kudu and my PH was elated, as we approached it he said it was well over 52 inches and maybe 54 inches. He put the tape on it and it came out to 49+ inches. After remeasuring it about three more times, I never saw a man self flaggelate himself so much. He was pissed. Basically the animal was well into his third curl and had nice ivory colored tips but very little depth of curl. I wasn't quite sure how to feel until we came upon the other hunting party also on the way back to camp. We stopped and the other PH saw the Kudu and said out loud that it was a nice one and asked if it went about 53-54 inches. I said don't ask and let's get back to the skinning shed but I felt somewhat better. Of course he adorns my wall and I am quite happy with him regardless.

Bottom line, trust your PH but they aren't infallible.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do believe you should have an idea of how good a trophy is in your particular area. No matter what, a trophy animal is exciting and it is a let down to shoot a great specimen and not even know it! The numbers quoted above are about right, but if you ask the PH he should give you a better idea + they always have stories of 'this one bull...' which gets your blood pumping!
As for the kudu, I think that the number of curls is as important as the length in inches. A kudu w/2 full curls and ivory tips is a beautiful animal, even if it measures 49 inches whereas some 1.5 curl youngsters will measure the same but look very awkward!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote