Find
Notify
Tools

Losing my hunting partner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Well guys this comes to many of us as we grow older... My hunting partner, son is getting married this Saturday and I will be away from AR for a few days...
I have Tanzania in my plans for next year and my son will have to pass on this one...
Many of you have met Matt in Dallas in 07 after my AR buf hunt...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You may be losing a hunting partner in the short term. But in the long term I bet you'll get a whole new camp. Daughter-in-law and grand kids.

Tell Matt congrats!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Hope it all goes well and congratulations to the happy couple. I'll drink a toast to absent friends at 9 pm local time and hope that you do likewise your time! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retreever,
Why would his marriage result him stopping hunting hunting with you?

Surely this would not be a happy arrangement?

Cheers and all the best to him...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mike,
As long as the new bride is not a vegan, you should have Mat back in the fields in no time.
Congrats!
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn kids should know better than to get married during hunting season. My son did the same thing. 2nd weekend of duck season. I had to show up for the rehearsal in hip boots and camo. gave all the wedding party new duck calls. the groomsmen played here comes the bride on their way back down the aisle - on the duck calls

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I change my name to Matt and call you dad will you take me to Tanzania with you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Not to worry. While the young fellow may be a bit shorter on cash for the next few years as he get's settled and established my experience with my own son's hasn't been so bad.
My oldest while yes, he doesn't have the discretionary money he once did, has proved to be even closer - especially in terms of hunting and fishing here locally. Now my youngest son who seems to have found a serious girl is starting to show the same propensity for spending quality time with the old man as oposed to using it all on his buddies.
It's not Africa but any time with my kids is time well spent. Make sure they know they're welcome anytime even just to chat on the phone and you may just see some positive development from this new chapter in everyone's lives.
Congraduations on the new daughter!
beer

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My congratulations to your family on your son's marriage. While I've never met the man, you speak very highly of him; I wish them the best. I'm sure the hunting-buddy situation will resolve itself in time.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Mike, you won't lose him for long! We always come back to go hunting.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, first of all, congratulations. Secondly, you might be gaining a hunting daughter-in-law, or at least a traveling daughter-in-law to keep Cheri company, if the four of you decide to return to Africa together. My one son-in-law and my one daughter in law are not hunters (yet), although I have converted each of them from non-gun owners to gun owners and introduced them to the shooting sports by buying each of them their own Ruger 10-22s. They now look forward to our family shooting outings! It's a step in the right direction. Smiler At first I thought that you had some bad news on either Cheri or one of your labs. Sheesh, you scared me for a moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are lucky. I'm in Florida, my kid's in Montana. She doesn't hunt and neither does he, and they have mulies strolling through their yard. Grrrrr.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mike.

Just remember, even the father of the groom can stand during the toast and welcome the new huntress to the clan. You may want to give her the Fiona Capstick book on the history of women in the hunting fields and invite her along.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Matt ....... as stated above, here's to a grandson or two ..... just think how exciting it'll be to accompany a grandson on his first hunt in Africa. And, yes, I know Matt ..... he's a fine young man.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May GOD bless the new couple!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mike! Looks like the size of your future safaris is growing.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for the new campfire companions! Enjoy the wedding and look forward to teaching some new recruits for the 450#2

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Congratulations to you and the happy couple!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote