THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Current regulations for transporting firearms USA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current regulations for transporting firearms USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since I am leaving for Africa the end of April, I decided to do a search to determine what the current regs are for transporting firearms. Here is what I found out from searching Delta's website and also the TSA's website. To sumarize, it seems that it is now policy to pack your rifles and ammunition in the same case.

From the Delta Airlines website:
https://www.delta.com/travel/plan/baggage_info/special_baggage/sporting_goods/index.jsp

Item Conditions of Acceptance Shooting Equipment
One item of shooting equipment is accepted as part of a customer's free checked baggage allowance.

When checking a firearm, you must:
ï‚· declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
ï‚· present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
ï‚· lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
ï‚· maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
ï‚· ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

Delta Gun Cases may be purchased as most airports. Rifles
One rifle case containing:
ï‚· two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
ï‚· one shooting mat
ï‚· one small pistol tool kit
ï‚· noise suppressers
ï‚· 11 lbs. (approx. 5kgs) of ammunition
Cases containing more than two rifles will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

TSA Regulations on transporting firearms and ammunition from their website:
http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?content=09000519800ac232&print=yes

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition
Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.
There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers (LEOs) who are authorized to fly armed by meeting the requirements of 49 CFR § 1544.219.
Following is a summary of key regulatory requirements to transport firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage:
ï‚· All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process.
ï‚· The firearm must be unloaded.
ï‚· The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
ï‚· The container must be locked.
ï‚· The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.
ï‚· Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
ï‚· Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
ï‚· The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above.
ï‚· Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.
The regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and the imposition of civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.
Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I took print outs of all this along with the info from the SAA site - just in case.

Be prepared though, if you do put your ammo in the rifle case. In mid 2003 I made it all the way to South Africa with no problem but, the Airport Security folks in Cape Town went [forgive me] "Ballistic" when they noticed the ammo in the rifle case as I was checking in to return to the USA. I showed them all the print outs, even called on SAA to help but they did not. I had to remove it and jam it in wherever I could in my other checked bag - even the empty brass. It is obviously easier and more secure to carry it all in the rifle case - but have a back up plan.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just flew Delta last week with my shotguns going to a shoot LVIA to DFW ammo in my gun case and some in my checked baggage. No problem at checkin