New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gauss is now Omatjete Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just posting this if someone does a search....

Same people,new name...

Omatjete operates near Otavi,Namibia.They will be attending Reno and have been there as Gauss Safaris for several years.

The original partnership was based on farm Gauss,but has for the last several years been operated at farm Askevold.The name Omatjete is for a native plant and is explained on their website;

http://www.omatjete.com/

dinsdale

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Planning a Namibia PG safari (cheetah might be an option) in 2011 for four hunters and one photograper, it´s interesting to see the 2011 prices starting to surface.

Dayrates at Omatjete are $460 inclusive VAT.
I feel that one is paying a lot this days for luxury accomodation including swimming pool and fancy bedrooms.

I would not mind staying in a tented camp (as long as food, shower and sanitary issuses are ok) and use my hard earned money to hunt for.

Not to target Omatjete as such, they seems to run an ok outfit.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends if you consider apples to apples.

Since VAT is included,no airport pick up fee,moderate alcohol;is included;this adds up.That 15% tacked on the end isn't a small change on a PG hunt.

Also they clear their trophies since they have the appropriate facilities;no taxidermy dip fees.Just a shipping agent required.This alone will save more than the difference to other operators.

They hunt their own properties,so they control trophy quality,another important consideration.IMO

There are bargains out there,but in general I've found that you get what you pay for.And they are set up to entertain non hunting companions,hence the pool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dinsdale
As I said, I´m not talking about Omatjete in particular.
I´m also aware of some outfitters that have "hidden costs" which will add up on the bottom line.

I understand very well that to cater for non hunters require more "comfort" facilities than a basic tent camp.

Never the less I feel that with a setup like Omatjete, I pay for something that I don´t use or take any benefits from.

The other facts that you listed confirm my first impression that they are a quality outfit which we might consider taking contact with.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand your point but this is true for most of the better operators. It would appear most people want the comfort at the end of the day. It isnt exactly roughing it in a tent but it isnt bad either. I have been in some "tent" camps that have been pretty posh as well. I have also slept in the open with a blanket on the ground. It depends on where and what you are hunting. Hagen and Birgit are close friends and run a first class outfit. I need to make that statement so everyone knows I at least have an emotional interest in these folks. No matter who you hunt with these days things tend to be more upscale than in the past. I like you often dont use or need a lot of the things offered but they sure are nice. Luxury isnt all bad. These folks run a first class outfit and if you compare prices they are vey competitive. Hagen is tough as nails. A few days after loosing his leg in an accident he was here stumping around SCI. Even with his pain he was hard to keep up with. Dont mistake the niceness of the lodge with the ability of the guide or the challenge of the hunt. It would be a mistake to do that and you would exclude a lot of folks who provide a quality hunt.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
dinsdale
As I said, I´m not talking about Omatjete in particular.
I´m also aware of some outfitters that have "hidden costs" which will add up on the bottom line.

I understand very well that to cater for non hunters require more "comfort" facilities than a basic tent camp.

Never the less I feel that with a setup like Omatjete, I pay for something that I don´t use or take any benefits from.

The other facts that you listed confirm my first impression that they are a quality outfit which we might consider taking contact with.

Didn't take it as an attack or need to justify;figured I'd add a little more info,after your post.

Only posted this for info,I'm a former client,and hope to return this coming year.Used this site as it has a large Africacentric following.

Good hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didnt take it as an attack either. I just cant say enough good about these folks.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I am close friends with Hagen and Birgit. I've hunted with them several times. They stay with us whenever they are in this part of the world.

As mentioned, there are no 'surprise' costs; No tack on 'trophy prep' fees, no trophy delivery fees to taxidermist/shipper, nor any airport transfer fees. For trophy quality reasons they limit how many hunters they book every year.

You might recall the story a couple years ago of Hagen having a bad day fighting a wounded leopard. The leopard had been wounded by an older neighbor the previous afternoon. While tracking it the next morning it jumped Hagen and he was wrestling with it. The older neighbor attempted to shoot it off Hagen but hit him in the lower leg instead. Hagen lost his leg just below the knee. 11 days later, Hagen was home running a bulldozer taking care of pressing business on his property. He used a stick to do what that missing leg was suppose to be doing running the dozer.

That will give you an idea what kind of cloth this man is cut from. He's subsequently been fitted with state-of-the-art prothsesis (sp?) and can walk most abled-bodied men in the ground.

Good people and a good place to hunt.

'Nuff said

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for additional info Gentlemen.
I will most sertanly take contact with Hagen regarding our 2011 safari.

I´m going sailing for a few days, whish you all a splendid weekend thumb

Arild Iversen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fair wind my friend, enjoy it. We can talk about these folks and a few others you might want to consider when you get back. Start thinking about what kinds of animals you would like to hunt and assign a priority number to each. Once you make up your basic list you want to be sure to leave room in the budget for targets of opportunity. Now we can start looking at what outfitters, wich properties and make a plan as my friends would say. Depending on your wants you may want to split outfitteers and or areas to get your best results. Sometimes it is good to do that anyway just to see more places even if it dosnt really up the odds much. Talk when you get back.

Happiness is a warm gun