Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for a (hunting) virgin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunter's Wife-To-Be
posted
I am excitedly looking forward to my first-ever trip to Africa in July of 2010 with the most perfect and fabulous man in the world (no offense meant to any present company whom I am sure are all fine men, too). We will be hunting in Zimbabwe and I'm looking forward to shooting a cape buffalo and some plains game.

I have never hunted before and haven't shot since my teens (interestingly the father of said most fabulous man is who originally taught me to shoot). The most perfect man has been to Africa multiple times and has quite a bit of experience. We have been target shooting with a .22, a .30-06, a .375, and a .450 nitro double all under varying conditions and including simulating being "on the move."

So what else should I do to prepare? I'm not worried about being in physical shape for the trip as I teach group exercise classes. But, I do want to be a credit to my man and do well on our trip. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are doing the right things. I think that you just need to now go and enjoy it! All of it!! You will return again and again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it really sounds like you have most of the bases covered. Most of my suggestions would probably get my face slapped Winkso don't forget your camera & get ready to enjoy yourself thoroughly. for the largest portion of your trip you will be "playing it by ear" and learning that africa exists for real, not just on the discovery channel. My wife enjoyed her first trip so much that shes been on 8 more since.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are doing everything you need to do it seems. If I were a cad I'd ask if you have a sister, but that would make my wife angry. Big Grin

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Pack light! You'll be surprised at how little you really need.

One tip that is often passed along is to have at least one hunting set of clothing in your carry on in case your bags get waylaid.

Another tip- consider not hunting with binos, or if you do, small ones that slip in your pocket. After a few hours of walking you may wonder why you are carrying a set of big binos, and as the PH said on my second hunt- don't look at the animals through the binos, look through your rifle scope so you are ready to shoot.

That is the sum of my accumulated wisdom!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter's Wife to Be:

Certainly I agree with everyone who says you are well prepared! (No one asked you whether you liked the 375 or the 450 best. Never shot the 450 but did fire the 470 and found it to be just like the 375, a "push" rather than a "kick". Hope you just feel comfortable with whatever you use)

I have to urge you to read and reread the advice of 404 Jeffery. Above all, travel light. 404's advice about binoculars is spot on. You just don't need them -unless you want to doublecheck the PH's judgment after he looked through binocs -and that's never a good idea to be arguing with the PH about what he saw and what you say you saw. (Something like arguing with the guy who packed your parachute that you don't like the way he did it) Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Relax. Don't worry about it. They're going to take very good care of you.

Don't shoot unless you are comfortable with the shot/angle. I was very proud of my wife when she told me that she passed on a shot at monster Kudu because she felt if she had take a shot it would have been under less than ideal circumstances. It was her first time to hunt big game and it took her an extra couple of seconds to settle into the shot...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my first time over…

One piece of advice that I thought was very obvious when given to me but really hit home when I was over there is drink plenty of water!

Not only did the plane ride dry me out but the climate did as well…

My water intake was probably double than what it is at home and I still felt a little dehydrated…

All of the other advice above applied to me as well…

My checked bag did not arrive on the first night and I had to live out of my carry on…

I over packed as well and I thought I packed light…

Half of the stuff I took I never used…

My binos were a pain in the rear also and I used them very little…

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare for the trip. As said before make sure you drink plenty of water, it is very easy to get dehydrated over there. Other than that just go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff.

Since I am a single guy I will ask, do you have a sister? Big Grin

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sounds that like what you're doing, you're doing right but you might also like to study shot placement and you'll find an onlind guide here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...-shot-placement.html

The other advice here has all been good but I'll add the suggestion you take some gatorade or similar with you because if you do get seriously dehydrated, you'll need to replace the trace elements you've lost along with the water.

Health info here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...can-hunt-health.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your wise advice. I welcome more if you think of anything.

By the way... the most fabulous man DOES participate here, but I'll leave it up to him to reveal himself if he chooses.

And, sorry, David. No sister. I'm an only child.

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Whoever he is, he's a lucky man. But once you've been to Africa he'll have to take you on every trip. May I suggest a hunting/honeymoon trip to Africa as well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After talking to the fabulous man,
I have learned that we are still considering two safari companies - one in Zim and one in RSA.

And, Gerry, I've only shot the .450 once. On the trip, I'll be hunting with a Mark Basner .375 H&H with a Swarovski scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get comfortable lightweight boots and break them in. My wife has made every trip to Africa with me and she enjoys every second of it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Get to know the camp staff. Small gifts are always appreciated by the staff and their children. You will be surprised how much pleasure that will give you. Take cotton clothes that will stand rough hand washing. Get some Avon skin so soft non aerosol. It keeps the bugs at a distance and is not too hard on you. Have fun!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Whoever he is, he's a lucky man. But once you've been to Africa he'll have to take you on every trip. May I suggest a hunting/honeymoon trip to Africa as well.

Or even have the Wedding at Victoria Falls

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can, hunt big game this fall, just to get the feel. You're skipping several grades going from Zero to Cape Buffalo on the hunting scale. I would be dead-set against it except that you will have someone at your shoulder, weapon in hand.

I'm glad you're going with the 375 H&H. It's enough gun and you can put in plenty of range time between now and then.

Good luck, and tell us what you think of hunting post-hunt.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
You might want to get a pig hunt or two in before your trip. They are a good way to get some good, inexpensive, year round experience hunting/killing with your big bore.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you are good to go. About the only thing I would say is check that the passport is up to date, go to the range a few time to keep from getting rusty, and don't forget the malaria medicine.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!
My wife enjoys our hunting trips as much as I do. Not to start anything, but I have used my binos extensively in Africa but they are Ziess 8X20 armoured compacts which fit neatly in a shirt pocket. Keep up the practice with the rifle with shooting sticks and BTW this does not have to involve live fire. Put a small dot on the wall at the end of a hallway or on your back fence and dry fire from various positions. You would be amazed at how much this can improve your shooting and it doesn't cost anything. Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
three changes of clothes, plus what you're wearing is plenty. Buy two good shirt pocket 10MP or higher cameras, and make sure you have the adaptors for that country. Take two pictures of everything. Take a good laptop and download your pictures every evening together with the PH. There is twice the enjoyment of the day in review to be had. Take two pictures of everything. Something could happen and the two of you not get back.

Did I mention to take LOTS!!! of pictures.

Africa is a treat, my wife loved it there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tak3e two cameras, one digital and a good disposable. I always take two in case I loose the photos on one, this way I have doubles of all my trophy shots. This time the disposable photos were lost by the lab. Good to have a backup - thank god it was the disposables that were lost so i had all my others !

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your youth.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought--to not only enjoy the hunt, but also to understand both Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) and SA do some reading on the people and politics over the generations.

The Covenant, by James Michener, will give you an in depth understanding of both.

Good luck, have fun!!

Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Make sure your hunting gear fits you, such as your rifle LOP and trigger pull, draw length on your bow, etc.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from my first safari in May so it is all fresh in my mind. Here is what I can think of:

1) I totally disagree with some of the other posters about binos. I felt that they were priceless to have! When the tracker points out a kudu 500 yards away you can't even see it many times without binos! Also the PH will ask you if thats the animal you want and without binos you can't tell. While it is good advise to keep your glass down in the final moments of the stalk not taking binos is just bad advise IMO. Also they are wonderful for checking out the local wildlife while back at camp.

2) Shoot off the sticks. Much of your practice should be working off shooting sticks until you get very good.

3) Learn to shoot off hand well out to about 75 yards. 3 of my 7 animals were shot offhand.

4) Hunt some big game. "Buck fever" effects people differently and until you do it you don't know how you will react.

5) Read, read, read. I felt reading all the old classics really enhanced the hunt. I think I have read about 90 safari books at this point.

6) Watch as many DVDs as possible

7) Bring candy for the kids and trackers.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1) I totally disagree with some of the other posters about binos. I felt that they were priceless to have! When the tracker points out a kudu 500 yards away you can't even see it many times without binos! Also the PH will ask you if thats the animal you want and without binos you can't tell. While it is good advise to keep your glass down in the final moments of the stalk not taking binos is just bad advise IMO. Also they are wonderful for checking out the local wildlife while back at camp.

YEP! thumb

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24 took the words out of my mouth.

1) I can't imagine not having bino's. Most of your time will be spent driving and looking at distant animals. Get good bino's. You get what you pay for.

2) My Tanzania trip was the first hunt for all three of my sons. Practice of the sticks and try to do some hunting before you go. Hogs are available year round, nearly everywhere, and are cheap to hunt. You never know how you'll react the first time you're shooting at a living creature.

3) Read about Africa, tour books, nature guides to identify animals, etc.. I'd recommend "The perfect shot, Africa." Great descriptions of game and allows you top visualize the shot. Finally, read Capstick's books. Some people don't like him for various reasons. I think all would admit his writing is informative and engaging.

4) The candy thing sounds stupid but the trackers we were with seemed to like it.

5) FWIW my wife had reservations about our trip. Having done it, she'd get on a plane right now to go back! You will be treated like visiting royalty.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. You all are full of great advice.

Keep it coming!

And thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Hi welcome to the Forum and soon to Africa.

Just some comments from a Ph's side.

Most of us like to have ladies in camp, not only for the fact that they liven up camp life and the whole hunt, but they are much easier to hunt with than some gentleman.

They always listen to what a PH tells them and don't come with an ego or perceived expectations. In general they also cope better with buck fear. They never look at the horns of the animal they are about to shoot and concentrate more on the kill zone of the animal.

If it's the first time you are going to kill an animal be prepared for the emotional side of it, it might not be what you expected at first, but give yourself time to process all the emotional aspects of what you have achieved. It is normal to feel some sort of remorse toward the animal, I still have it every time we shoot a old Elephant bull, If you ever loose this feeling completely then you don't hunt any more but just kill.
Killing an animal for the first time is almost like making love for the first time. After doing it you are not sure if you liked it but keep at it and boy does it get addictive after a while.

Remember that there will be bad days on any hunt but don't let them win you over, good days will follow and the whole experience will be something to remember.

Above all enjoy it !!!

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll ask the most fabulous man about this later, but in the meantime... I can see the wisdom in doing a hunt or two pre-Africa trip. If I wanted to do the pig hunt does anyone have a suggestion of where? I am in South Carolina.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your husband is a lucky man.
Although my wife doesn't hunt, she has accompanied me on my last two African trips. Mozambique in 2006 and Zimbabwe in 2009. She was quite intimidated the first time by dealing with officials in third world airports. She was much more at ease on the second trip.
After the first trip, she understood about daily laundry service and not packing a lot of clothing. She also understands the value of good binos. Have at least one good quality camera small enough to have on your person 24/7. You'll capture many more memories.
If you only read one book, make it Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter." Safari life has certainly changed much since the 1950's, but Ruark more than anyone else conveys the sense of romance of African hunting.
Prepare to meet some amazing people and be as well treated as you will be at any time in your life. Be prepared for the fact that each day has a life of its own, and have a good time because of rather than in spite of the surprises. Sometimes the world just turns the other way over there.
I look forward to your hunting report! Although you said your husband posts here as well, I'd be interested in seeing reports from both of your perspectives.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've been given excellent advice here.

I totally agree that binos are absolutely necessary.(8x30 good quality is what I use) A good fitting rifle (as Ann said make sure it fits you not your "fabulous man"). Practice on the sticks, off hand, RUNNING THE BOLT, and RELOADING. Most likely you'll need to make a follow up shot in Africa. Basic knowledge of hunting (when to be quiet, some hand signals etc.)

KEEP A DAILY JOURNAL. Especially for your first safari. You'll be amazed how much goes on and you'll forget details if you don't jot them down.

Have a wonderful time!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa is fine for a first big game hunt for a woman. Here is my Princess's first big game kill.

41" gemsbok killed with her Kimber Super America .243.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HWTB,

Relax and go with the flow. Your going to have a great time. I always encourage clients to take their spouses because it becomes a shared expereince and a safari is so special it needs to be shared with a loved one.

Best of luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
You might pic up a couple books on African animals and Birds. I studied eneogh before hand that I new all the animals(except the Ardwolf)that popped up out of a den right in front of us during the middle of the day. I wished I would have purchased a book about African Birds!!! Have Fun!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
GAITERS. Especially if you are wearing shorts. The gaiters will prevent stickers and burrs from falling into the tops of your shoes.

BELT WITH POUCHES. Great for camera, ammo, water, knife, multi-tool, bug spray, etc. Easier to access than a day pack, cooler too as you do not have an extra layer on your back.

OPTICS CLEANING KIT: As there is no shortage of dust in Zim and RSA, take a soft cloth, brush, and cleaning solution for scopes, binos, cameras, etc.

ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER: If you take anything other than real sugar in your tea or coffee, take a supply with you. They likely will not have the fake stuff in camp.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
HWTB,

Relax and go with the flow.

Great advice. When I hunted with Johann at Shona, I told him "I left my expectations on the airplane when I exited." I did and I had a great time.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote