Find
Notify
Tools

what to do with hides\leather
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
What does one normally do with hides\skins when all you are planning on taking back are skulls\horns for european mounts? Also not planning on getting a cities permit for my tuskless hunt - what becomes of the hide? Is it permissible to sell the hides\capes\etc to the local taxidermist? I don't need the extra expense of tanning various hides\backskins - the ones I have now just hang over a balcony and I can't see the money to have leather panels made from the ele.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pillows! The wife likes pillows! Changes them on the couches several times a year. We've got embroidered pillows, silk pillows, game skin pillows, pillows with nostalgiac value, pillows with sentimental value -- You should be getting the picture by now. But backskins do make nice pillows. Call Dian at Brush Country Studios in Houston -- Cypress -- if you need some help with that.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
consider gun cases with the backspins

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi hunteratheart, a lot of our clients have their hides tanned into leather and we in turn make up gun bags and various other luggage and sporting items, belts etc, for them according to their specifications. Most other taxidermists I have dealt with offer something similar. Good luck

Johan

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tuskless ele is non-exportable. You can't bring anything back from them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them for rugs, pillows, gun socks/cases, possibility/knapsack type bags, I like to do cabinet work so I can make them into part of my pedestal mounts, jewelry boxes, foot stools, ottomans, etc. My son uses one of my large blue wildebeast hides as a comforter on his bed in winter,uou couldn't talk him out of it either. I have made them into coasters, wallets, purses. I got 6 new hides at tannery right now that I cant wait to make stuff out of.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys, but I guess I did not convey the question well enough. I DO NOT WANT TO BRING THE HIDES BACK. Simply, what happens to the hides I don't want? Can they be sold to the local taxidermist in Zim, gifted to the trackers\skinners, what?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I have seen some tuskless deals where, presumably at the end of a season, the outfitter was willing to use what must have been leftover CITES quota for the animal. In short, it might not be common, but it can happen.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Gift them to your PH. Hunt, take pix, walk away. I have.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuskless elephant hides are exportable if they are on quota . You need to buy CITES hide tags for each item of hide .

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote