Find
Notify
Tools

458 at 1820 FPS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
My friend called me from Texas where he is visiting his dad ,and he is bring home a single shot 458 . He said that he was averging 1820 FPS at the range using a chrony. He didnt mention the brand rifle just that it was made in England.he was using barnes 500 gr banded solids, so my question is setting aside that its a single shot what type of game can be hunted with this rifle.He also said the barrel length is 19 inches . I know the lott could push 2300fps so what catagory does this rifle fall into.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Good one ALF I am not sure what 458 caliber it is i am thinking 458 win mag and maybe the short barrel is giving low velocitys or maybe he just wasn't using near max loads . I'll know more when he returns. But its not really that far off of full 458 win mag loads is it?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Its not a 45/70 is it?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so my question is setting aside that its a single shot what type of game can be hunted with this rifle

There is nothing on mother earth that you can't hunt with that rifle!! Just get close enough!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
Its not a 45/70 is it?

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!
jumping

The magic window for the .458 500gr quality solid is between 2150fps, and 2300fps if it is to be used in tight cover, or for anything dangerous! With the 1820 fps he is getting I'd not reccomend this rifle, and load for anything more dangerous than a black bear, or the larger plains game, up to 100 yds! There are better solids than the Barnes solid as well! I'd use the North Fork Flt point, and push it faster with less chamber pressure! If, in fact, it is a 45-70, the powder capacity is not enough to gain much with a 500 gr bullet, over the 1820fps he's already getting, match that with the very short barrel, and what you have is a deer rifle with a big hole in the front of the barrel! Sorry, but that is my opinion! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote