THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    looking for suggestions - ele, leopard, buff for father & son

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for suggestions - ele, leopard, buff for father & son
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I've been a lurker for a while. Finally able to start planning a safari for myself.

Looking to book a hunt for my father and myself. Here is what I'm looking for.

For him:
Elephant: would like to go for a good bull but might go tuskless depending on total price.
leopard and also buffalo as well. He's been to zimbabwe in the 80s and has quite a few good plains game trophies, so we would focus on the above mainly.

for myself (first trip to Africa)
buffalo, and some plains game. 90% of the trip I want to focus on my dad getting some good animals. I wouldn't mind taking a few plains species, but it really doesn't matter to me what I get.

so looking for suggestions on outfitters. areas. any suggestions are welcome.
from what i gather a couple outfits I've been looking at are

Zambezi Hunters
Save Safaris

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Either ZH or SS would do a good job for y'all. You main issue will be timing and quota.

The Save Cons. elephant quota will be small and many of those elephants are spoken for years ahead of time. That said, there are plenty of great buff and leopard in the Save, and booking that portion of the trip should be doable for 2012 or beyond.

An option would be to hunt elephant in another area around Gonerahzou (sp) then transfer to the conservancy for leopard and two buff. The only issue there might be timing since some of the elephant areas near the park are best late (Oct and Nov) and leopard will be difficult at that time with the intense heat.

All of that said, I'm doing a 21 day ele, leop, and buff with ZH on Sango in July. I'll post a report when I return.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that USFWS is apparently, finally allowing Ele export from Zambia, check out Peter Chipman, Kwalata Safaris, booking agent weshixon@weshixon.com. I was on his concession in Lower Lupande last year and saw two lone Ele Bulls that were in 60's, four Leopard in daytime, several good Cape Buffalo and he has Sharps Grysbok, Chobe Bushbuck, Puku, etc.Good Lion are also available

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did an 2008 Omay (South) hunt for Elephant, Leopard and multiple Buff with HHK SFARIS in Zimbabwe.
This was a hunt with my son who shot 3 buff (1 male/2 cows)
They or MARTIN PIETERS (Omay North) are tough to beat for your needs. I have hunted the Omay North twice also. Plenty for you there.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As to Bull v. Cow Elephant. If $ is not an object, consider that bringing back the tusks of a Bull will result in them becoming family heirlooms that can and should be passed on for generations. A great way to remember your father (grandfather, great grandfather, etc) after he is gone

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzz

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My father and I went on safari in Zimbabwe for Cape buffalo and plains game with with
Danny Friend and Paul Benny of Nengasha Safaris Danny's email is:
kaluga@yoafrica.com

Wayne Bartlette was our PH with Nengasha and he was absolutely outstanding in every way. He is also recognized as an excellent leopard PH.
Wayne's email is:
spiralhornsafaris@hotmail.com

Louise at Nengasha can get you more info. her email is:
nengasha@gatorzw.co.uk

Danny and Paul have another PH they recommended highly for elephant but I don't have that info for you.

Let them know Paul Yodice recommended you - these people treated us like royalty and Wayne made the entire safari about our satisfaction and nothing else.

This year my father and I are going with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris for elephant, leopard and PG in Namibia. His email is
karl@huntingsafaris.net

and he posts here on AR as KarlS

Good luck,

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This what I found in the Selous. Pierre van Tonder Big Game safaris www.pvt.co.za
I have spent a total time of around 4 hours for two leopards and a very fine elephant.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i agree. I'd rather spend more and have that ivory.

I'll start looking into a few of the outfitters suggested, and see what I come up with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for all the info so far, keep it coming!

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
There can be many areas to go for this type of hunt. I did a Elephant, Buffalo and Leopard hunt in Omay north, got all the animals in 7 days and would rate it as the best value for money hunt. The Elephant that you can expect is around 40lbs.

However, if money is no issue I would go to Selous with Pasanisi for this hunt.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter from Zim's Chipitani Safaris can set up a great Safari in the Zambezi Valley for the game in question.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Andy Hunter, Chipitani Safaris.
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Those two are good choices. Save is a great place.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Sultan:
There can be many areas to go for this type of hunt. I did a Elephant, Buffalo and Leopard hunt in Omay north, got all the animals in 7 days and would rate it as the best value for money hunt. The Elephant that you can expect is around 40lbs.

However, if money is no issue I would go to Selous with Pasanisi for this hunt.

I have to agree!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did an 2008 Omay (South) hunt for Elephant, Leopard and multiple Buff with HHK SAFARIS in Zimbabwe.
This was a hunt with my 18 year old son who shot 3 buff (1 male/2 cows)
HHK or MARTIN PIETERS (Omay North) are tough to beat for your needs. I have hunted the Omay North twice also. Plenty for you there.
zzz

Also, I need to add a tribal area like the OMAY is a great place to take kids. I also brought my Daughter (16 years old) to Omay North in 2001. There is so much going on with the people, it makes for a great experience for them. A lot to see. My son also killed a Kudu bull, warthog, baboon etc. along with the 3 Buffalo.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you all again for the info. I've contacted most of the PH's mentioned above to get more information.

anyone have contact info for Pasanisi?

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
anyone have contact info for Pasanisi?

Contact Arnaud Mermet at arnaudmermet@yahoo.fr he works as a PH for TWS and also do booking for them.

Ahmed Sultan

posted Hide Post
Roger Whittall Safaris in the save conservancy

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
+1 for Roger Whittall Safaris. I will be there at the end of June. woodleyzim i hope you have left that rifle in camp for me!!!! Hope to see you there.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
suggestions on best time or month to go after elephant and leopard? do they happen to coincide at all?