New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada mess/Chinese fire drill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen/Ladies, I need a little help here. A good friend of mine left Dallas, TX en route to SA to hunt with Mabulo Pro Safaris (small cats, rhino dart, croc, etc.). His route took him from Dallas to Toronto to London to Johannesbrg.

He was checked all through to destination, but for some reason (we think it was a last minute flight change that required a terminal change), he was forced to clear Canadian customs in Toronto. He had no Canadian paperwork - enter quagmire here.

No one at the airport could tell him what forms he needed but he was able to somehow negotiate with the Canadian officials (customs and whatever the equivelant of TSA is) and board a flight which was the not the original as he had by now missed his London flight and his Johannesburg connection. BTW - he had first class seats and now is in coach......

Now here comes the problem. He has to come home some time. I have called the Chief Firearms officer in Ontario who could not tell me what forms to use to get my friend through Canada on his return. He nervously "suggested" a temporary license.

I called the FAITC Export and Import Controls office who "suggested" either an export permit of an international import certification. As I kept asking questions for which the agent could not answer, I was told to send her an email and she would "see what she could do".

Does anyone have experience getting through Canada and if so, how do you do it?

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Canada I was required to complete a form 909 Non Resident Firearm Declaration which was good to both enter and leave the country,. I did have to pay a fee associated with this but it was not much - $30 maybe.

You can find a copy at RCMP Form 909

However, if the rifle is checked as through baggage he may only need to pick it up and clear US Customs since it never leaves the secure area and enters Canada. The RCMP is responsible for the form 909 and may be able to answer the question in more detail.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would anyone fly that route???

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Dave said, plus one!

Please convey our condolences to your friend. Probably not a good time to buy a lottery ticket either.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
His route took him from Dallas to Toronto to London to Johannesbrg.

I am at a loss for words.

Confused

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Whatever his reasons, this is worthy of note for those who may be inexperienced in international travel with firearms. NEVER, regardless the circumstances, add an additional country in your routing, as each country has their own customs rules and regulations regarding import AND export of firearms and it is almost universally accepted that they will cause you problems, headaches and nightmares as well as costing you money and delaying your hunt.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
He has to come home some time.
If it were me, I would consider my return ticket a loss, chalk it up to experience, and look to get a direct flight on SAA from Joburg to Atlanta or other US destination, then home to Dallas. Heck, might as well add a few days more of hunting too.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Bad call on your buddies part deciding to take that route.

He might want to do as Bill suggested and break out some plastic and take the logical way home JNB to ATL to DFW on either Delta or SAA.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Dave said +4.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree on finding a direct route home to the U.S. Why tempt fate even more? I hunted with a Canadian in Sonora, Mexico last January for mule deer,and the horror stories that he told me about his experience coming from Canada into the U.S. and then on to Mexico were enough to make sure that I never fly through another foreign country that is not needed. I agree with Dave Fulson and everyone else on this one. Chalk it up to experience and fly directly to the U.S. That would be the very best advice that anyone could give him.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Caretaker - as an option to my previous post, send a pm to jdollar, I just read his hunt report and in Sept he flew "LA to Toronto to London to Joburg to Harare" and apparantly made it there and back.

I assume your buddy was using FF miles too...

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All things considered, the simplest answer is usually the best. Were I he, I would bite the bullet and go Delta from JNB to ATL.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the posts suggesting purchasing a separate return flight

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legitimate law abiding people getting screwed and screwed again just

trying to get from one place to another to engage in a lawful recreational

activity. The day is going to come when such people will take over by

any means necessary or they will throw in the towel and give up all the

freedom they once had to pursue happiness.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think the Chinese fire drill started with the guy buying the ticket, when he went to the airport and bought that routeing! What a dumb routeing with firearms!

........................ homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys, not sure how he got the routing, but it may have to do with him using FF miles......I'm a kind of mind with the rest of you - 2 stops max. But alas - the deal has been done. My hope is that he will clear US customs in Toronto.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I came home from a week of hunting in Canada yesterday. Temporary gun import was not a big deal. 25 bucks Canadian and a small amount of paperwork.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-...mulaire/pdfs/909.pdf

As a practical matter, I do not think he will have to clear the rifles in Canada on his return trip if they are checked all the way to TX. Further, the paperwork he did on the outbound leg should be good when he returns as the temporary firearms license is good for 60 days.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The routing may be weird, but still shouldn't have been a problem. Was he flying with Air Canada? They seem to go out of their way to make problems with firearms.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote