Find
Notify
Tools

Serious about Sitatunga
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Sitatunga is a very sought after trophy animal and their secretive nature and the habitat they reside in make them a difficult specie to hunt.

As a freelance hunter I do quite a bit of work with young Richard Bell Cross in the Kafue and the concession there is stuffed with small swamps and bogs that hold healthy populations of this animal.

The concession encompasses a restricted fly zone and therefore our exploration is done on the ground.

My right hand man and tracker Green had informed us of two distant swamps that are much larger than anything we have opened up to date, so last week we sent him off to have a look before making the decision to cut a road. He has just returned and the news is all good so tomorrow Richard and I are going in. It will take us about a week to get in and out and I will post some photographs on my return.

If we do find big Sitatunga then we will put up a small camp and conduct a hunt there and I will post a report.

We are both quite excited as this is pure exploration and who knows what we will find. Note Richard last year took a 35 inch Sitatunga out of another no name swamp and currently this is the new world record.

The Kafue is now Africa's hot spot for Sitatunga and concessions both sides of the Lunga river can boast very high success rates. The Kasonso, Lunga Busanga and the Lunga Luswishi concessions are names to remember, for those who are serious about Sitatunga.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good luck Andrew. Another great adventure. Will be waiting for the report...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That does sound like fun, bet you pull something big out of the reeds.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One cannot call shooting a sitatunga "hunting"!

All one has to do is sit in a machan and shoot straight from a perfect rest! clap Wink

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
One cannot call shooting a sitatunga "hunting"!

All one has to do is sit in a machan and shoot straight from a perfect rest! clap Wink

The 'hunting' is done prior to the shooting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think both you guys are right but you arrived there from different directions.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Parham:
I think both you guys are right but you arrived there from different directions.

Very true.
And I love sitatunga hunting! clap

In fact, I am hoping I might be able to shoot one later this year.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck and bad on the darned things, but one of the things I think I've learned is that you need to stay away from the full moon. In general I'm not big on lunar cycles--you hunt when you can and take your chances--but with sitatunga it seems to me that they are VERY nocturnal when the moon is bright, with odds much, much better in the dark of the moon. With sitatunga "off license" in Botswana, agree that Zambia is far the best, both western Zam. and Bangweulu. But probably more sitatunga in western Tanzania than anyone thinks, they just aren't hunted that much up there. Uganda likewise, remains to be developed more fully. Forest sitatunga, God help us...bongo must be at least 10 times easier to hunt!

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Seems like this will be a very interesting and exciting trip. Best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew - You know they'll be there, just make sure and shoot the BIG ONES! Richard has been telling me about these big swamps in the north for a couple years. I thought BARRY was trying to get in there a year or two ago?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uganda likewise, remains to be developed more fully.

Have seen two skull caps with horns picked up in the Karamoja distric of Uganda. No one I know has actually seen a sitatunga on the hoof yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a Zambezi Sitatunga I took in the Kafue a couple years ago! Its an AWESOME hunt/experience, go if you can.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote