New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handguns in Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the past I have taken pistols to Zim when I have gone hunting. I am getting ready to go back next month. Has anyone heard of any problems with taking handguns to Zim recently?

I am checking my guns from the states through to Zim as I know it is a problem in So Africa.

Thanks for all info, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I asked my ph he said sidearmms were permitted: check with your ph for his response

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
2 years ago all sidearms had to have scopes on them....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
2 years ago all sidearms had to have scopes on them....

Mike

I believe you are referring to SOUTH AFRICA, not Zimbabwe.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no problems bringing any handgun into Zim. If you are flying into vic falls it might be an idea just to ask the PH to get the temp import permits sorted before you arrive. For some reason the customs staff at vic falls have given some problems in the past. The association has bought this to the attention of both police and customs director and there should be no problems...but this is africa.

If you are bringing a military looking semi Auto rifle or a small semi auto handgun that is obviously intended for concealed carry rather than hunting back up it is worth getting the paperwork sorted in Advance.

If you are hunting with an operator registered with SOAZ or a PH who is a member of ZPHGA the association (including myself as the committee member who sits on our national firearms legislation board) will be happy to assist.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Four years ago it was impossible to clear customs at Vic Falls with a 44Mag Revolver. I was there for a lion hunt and had to leave the gun at the airport. It was a lot of work to get the gun back from customs before leaving Zim.
So better be carefull and leave your gun at home if you dont get a import permit before you arrive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In June of 2004 I cleared customs in Harare with a 44 mag revolver, no drama.
Last March I cleared customs at Vic Falls.
I did have a bit of drama./
On the second trip I even had a permit from National Parks.
However to make a long story short the customs official had a problem with the fact that my Zim gun papers had "revolver" listed as type of gun where my National Parks Permit stated "revolver".
Research one of my previous posts for the full details. Bottom line I got the "gun" in.

I had a scope on the "revolver" in March and cleared South African Police no problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote