New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel Stalking Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with the Merkel Stalking rifle? I thought it would make a good companion to my double rifle for assorted plains game and misc.? I look forward to your replys. Dave

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 468 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend just bought one in 7/08 and tells me accuracy is lousy in his gun shooting factory loads (like 3" or so). Sample of one, but only thing I've heard. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a used one with 7x65R and 9.3x74R barrels and did a quick workup of a load for the 7x65R with 140-grain Nosler Partitions at around 2400 fps for close-range whitetails. On the range it was doing just over an inch at 100 yards with that load. I only shot one buck with it at around 50 yards, but it got about 15 yards before collapsing. I love the handling and light weight of the K-1.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
Take a look at the Blaser K 95.
I have a 308 Stutzen. It is one of the most accurate hunting rifles I have ever shot.

The K 95's have a great reputation for accuracy.

The Blaser scope mounting system is the best on Earth, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
By stalking rifles we are talking about the K-1, right?

If so, a friend of mine has one in .300WM and it shoots unbelieveably well with his handloads: one-jagged-hole groups, which I find amazing from such a light rifle.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote