New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etosha Lodging
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We will have 2-3 days for sightseeing after our Namibia hunt and want to spend some time in Etosha. Any one have any thoughts on places to stay outside of the park that are reasonably priced yet still fairly nice... and close to the park? Pricing to stay inside the park looks a little steep and I would rather spend my money on the hunting end of the trip. Thanks

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a quick google check on accommodations at Halali, the relatively newest Etosha lodging site, and at Okakeujo which is among the prettiest. If you are going THIS YEAR, a standard room with two beds is N$499 which is about US$75. Looks as if prices are going through the roof for next year.

If you want cheap, use the tent facilities with a walk to shower/toilet for N$100.
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this site, it is a pir of kilometer from the Namutoni Gate.
onguma
They have also a water hole illuminated with a hight blind. A fine place

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I stayed in one of the tent camps just out side Etosia. Nice, clean, and a fun bar and resturant

Tent

Dinning room

Cocktails befor dinner, a little Drift brandy.
No glasses so we cut water bottles in half. It was hell but we made do.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to clean the keyboard, please read "a pir" as "a pair"
Smiler

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkside:
We will have 2-3 days for sightseeing after our Namibia hunt and want to spend some time in Etosha. Any one have any thoughts on places to stay outside of the park that are reasonably priced yet still fairly nice... and close to the park? Pricing to stay inside the park looks a little steep and I would rather spend my money on the hunting end of the trip. Thanks

Pi.. o.. the lodges in the etosha park!

Much too expensive, dirty poor comfort.

The Mokutilodge is not cheap but fair priced!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarischorsch ,
I agree with you, but, by my opinion, a pair of night in Halali should be considered.
The water hole is very busy during the day and during the night.
It is only necessary to be prepared to stay there for a long time, for this reason I suggest to have water, some sandwich, a book, something soft to put under the ass ( Smiler rock seats are hard) and all you need for your comfort.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having a hard time relating to this post. Last time I did this, the govt accommo inside the park was dirt cheap...are you looking at Nam $ and thinking they are US $? Unfortunately, it books up months or even years in advance.

Outside the park, Mokuti at the East entrance is very very nice around $150 per night per room. In the USA an equivalent facility would be about 2x that price. Just south of the South entrance there is a camp with permanent tents (Etosha Safari Lodge or something like that) that is very good and a lot of fun, and I think this was about $US70 per person per night incl. dinner.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Naua Naua Lodge. It is a few miles away but worth the drive. We stayed there in July.

http://www.africa-adventure.org/n/nauanaua/index.html

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, found a few places just outside the park that are reasonble (at least 1/3 what the accomodations inside the park run).

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I liked the looks of Okaukuejo.

We only visited and didn't stay there, but the accommodations and swimming pool were quite clean and attractive.

Also, hordes of animals came to the water hole while we watched them from about 30 yards away. Here are a couple of photos:

Thirsty Zebras

Big Gemsbok

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote