Find
Notify
Tools

Checking references!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posts like below are amazingly common:
"I have booked a safari with XYZ outfitters in 2006. Has anyone been with them? Any info is appreciated"

The amount of times we see someone asking for info on outfitters AFTER they have apparently booked a safari with them is quite interesting!

Surely, research and info gathering should be done BEFORE booking with someone!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Bwanamitch

There are a few scenarious covering that request which you (rightly highlight) being made by some on the forums

1) I dont understand either why someone BOOKS a hunt and then asks the questions they should have asked prior to booking

2) Some guests use that method to promote a particular outfitter or company without wanting to come out into the open and actually say they want to promote them ( I dont know why as AR is a champion of free promotion ) it is like a sort of QUASI style of promotion without wanting to look toooooo guilty Red Face

3) Some guests are genuinely interested in a particular outfitter and want to hear what others might have to say about them good bad or other

4) Some like to pass the time of day and keep AR active and exciting

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
In my case I have personally checked enough references to be comfortable with the outfitter I have selected. Further info now, just assures me the deposit was money well spent Smiler

Plus the reality of it is if something truly bad does surface before you go, you are only out deposit money. That is a small loss compared to a bad Safari.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Why even expose yourself to losing deposit money? Get ALL of the information you want and ALL of the references checked before you ever even write a deposit check.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Bwanahile

Things change. In most cases a deposit is placed almost a year ahead of time. A lot of stuff can happen. Continuing to check updated references prior to the hunt is the smart thing to do.

I narrowly avoided disaster on a Canadian hunt I went on. The outfitters health went south on that trip. That was the last year he had any decent hunts with a stellar record up to that point.

Many will hate to admit it. But, you are exposed to loosing your deposit money no matter how careful and how complete your reference checking is.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
True, things can and do go wrong with even the best made plans. And you are right deposit money is at risk until you actually get to the hunt. I guess put more precisley, you can minimize your chances of a bad hunt/losing your deposit with proper due diligence. But as you said, sometimes things happen after the fact!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich

Whereas I agree with you that you should do your due diligence, references etc before you place a deposit I like to get as much feedback even after I have signed as possible. On this forum you can depend on members telling you what they know or have heard. Something might surface that would help you have a better safari.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote